Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is Prices Hit By New Car Tax? I Hope So!

do you think the proposed £400 will force Lexus to reduce its overpriced Is250?

lets be honest by todays standards the co2 emissions of the Is is too high!

plus the 0-60 times and fuel consumption arent good either

and the only alternative is the desiel, yuk i would rather stick pins on my eyes, and they cant even give us that with an auto box

so i for one hope the price tumbles

then i can afford one again :D

The new £300 (and later £400) car tax only affects the IS250 manual, not the auto as this is in the lower tax band (£210).

I get an average of 29-30 mpg, making full use of the 204bhp and consider this a big improvement on the old 150bhp IS200, plus the 0-60 is very good too. As for price, well it is expensive but then again compared to taking off the Toyota badges and sticking Lexus ones on and adding £5k to the price which was the case of the old IS it's not so bad.

The new £300 (and later £400) car tax only affects the IS250 manual, not the auto as this is in the lower tax band (£210)

i did not know that cheers

most other cars go up when in auto

Yes, however with most other cars the fuel consumtion goes up when they put an auto box in but the IS goes down.

I am lucky enough to have a pre 23rd March 2006 registered IS250 which doesn't drop into Band G. Pre 23rd March 2006 cars drop into band F.

Unfortunately Band F went up in the Budget from £190 to £205 but not as bad as band G.

So if you are going to buy a second hand IS250, buy one that is registered before 23rd March 2006. :D

The new £300 (and later £400) car tax only affects the IS250 manual, not the auto as this is in the lower tax band (£210)

i did not know that cheers

most other cars go up when in auto

Yes, however with most other cars the fuel consumtion goes up when they put an auto box in but the IS goes down.

It's not a conventional auto - it's a CVT, which by design uses less fuel due to the way it changes gears (it's like a big elastic band between 2 large cotton reel holders - that's how I understand it). I seem to recall Audi Multitronic is the same too and slightly more efficient than a manual.

I suppose it's better than the BMW - which has 2 large rats - one in the gearbox and one in the engine

I am lucky enough to have a pre 23rd March 2006 registered IS250 which doesn't drop into Band G. Pre 23rd March 2006 cars drop into band F.

Unfortunately Band F went up in the Budget from £190 to £205 but not as bad as band G.

So if you are going to buy a second hand IS250, buy one that is registered before 23rd March 2006. :D

Which'll be cheaper to Tax, but 1 in 3 rattle. Mines starting up again.... :o

I'd rather get a newer one that doesn't rattle...even if it costs more to run!

It's not a conventional auto - it's a CVT, which by design uses less fuel due to the way it changes gears (it's like a big elastic band between 2 large cotton reel holders - that's how I understand it). I seem to recall Audi Multitronic is the same too and slightly more efficient than a manual.

I suppose it's better than the BMW - which has 2 large rats - one in the gearbox and one in the engine

The IS Auto is a conventional auto gearbox, not a CVT. The GS450h has the CVT gearbox, characterised by the engine's ability to rev to a fixed rpm and them just keep getting faster and faster with no cog changing as the CVT alters its drive ratios seamlessly.

The IS Auto is a conventional auto gearbox, not a CVT. The GS450h has the CVT gearbox, characterised by the engine's ability to rev to a fixed rpm and them just keep getting faster and faster with no cog changing as the CVT alters its drive ratios seamlessly.

Sorry - you're right! I'm sure I've seen some in the past advertised as CVT's...and one of the reasons why I thought it was so smooth!

The new £300 (and later £400) car tax only affects the IS250 manual, not the auto as this is in the lower tax band (£210).

I get an average of 29-30 mpg, making full use of the 204bhp and consider this a big improvement on the old 150bhp IS200, plus the 0-60 is very good too. As for price, well it is expensive but then again compared to taking off the Toyota badges and sticking Lexus ones on and adding £5k to the price which was the case of the old IS it's not so bad.

Helloooo,

Sorry i've not been around for a while.

On the subject of fuel economy, i did the regular run to Manchester last Friday

an was absolutly astounded by the economy im now getting.

Southbound filled up in Newcastle returned a tank average of 41.2 then on the return it slowly

crept up to a whopping 45.2 ! thats door to door used just less than half a tank on 320 miles.

I think the car must be finally easing up i now have 7.5k on the odo

On the tax thingy, mines a 250sel Auto registered in Sept 06 how does the tax jump effect me.

Infinity......................

Southbound filled up in Newcastle returned a tank average of 41.2 then on the return it slowly

crept up to a whopping 45.2 ! thats door to door used just less than half a tank on 320 miles.

:crybaby:

I did 336 miles over the weekend, clear motorway, all the way, 43.1mpg and I NEVER broke the speed limit

PS kept it 1600-2300rpm, used 5th and 6th very rarely

If anything, the 220d is better for tax (company or Road) but not necessarily for economy at the pumps.

I did 336 miles over the weekend, clear motorway, all the way, 43.1mpg and I NEVER broke the speed limit

If anything, the 220d is better for tax (company or Road) but not necessarily for economy at the pumps.

The shocking difference is mine is petrol. A couple of days around the doors and its dropped down to 35

but i am still impressed wth that.

Infinity...

:offtopic:

How long does it normally take to be listed as a gold member, i have been one since August last year

without recognition on the side bar, If someone in admin reads this, come on guys move on up!

"its overpriced IS250"

Overpriced compared to what?

It's dearer than the IS200 was but it's a much better (and faster) car.

It's dearer than 4 cyl alternatives but compares favourably to other V6 engined cars from B*W, Mercedes, Jaguar, Audi etc.

(BTW I think the SE-L is pretty expensive, but no one has to pay the extra if they don't want to)

The shocking difference is mine is petrol. A couple of days around the doors and its dropped down to 35

but i am still impressed wth that.

Infinity...

:

Double :crybaby::crybaby:

:lol: "around the doors" I get as low as 26, and as good as 33. After a motorway run, if I drive "around the doors" it steadily drops to mid 30's too.

I think it does come down to driving styles. IS250 auto driven sensibly will reward you with excellent MPG on a long run. IS220d Manual driven sensibly does the same. I still think that auto is the better bet as an overall package, and I also agree that's it's not overpriced unless you go SEL, just MHO.

On the other hand, the SEL Auto is best VFM 2nd hand.