Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Mr2 Owner Considering Switching To A Rs200

Hey guys hope posts like this arent too frequent and im going over old ground here but are there any owners here who currently or previously have run mr2s?

i got a UK spec 99 rev5 but work are trying to indluence me into buying a more sensible respectful looking car and was considering a Beams Altezza as a happy compromise seeing as i want a fast car thats rear wheel drive japanese and i cant get my hands on a Beams mr2. My bro had an IS200 which was nice but not the fastest thing on the road by any stretch

totally different kinds of car i know but i love my Two to bits and want to know how they compare by experience before making any decisions - any owners in warrington?

cheers

magic

There are a few guys on here who have an IS and an MR2 who should be able to give you the lowdown - Mike Morse, Nick the Greek, sure there are more but can't think off the top of my head!

Don't know about the MR2, never had or even driven one.

The IS200 and the RS200 are "chalk and cheese", look the same but the RS is much quicker. Weight distribution is 50/50 on the RS so much the same as the MR2, slower though cos the RS is a bit bigger and heavier.

I would guess the you would be happy with the Tezza assuming you want a manual and can find a 6MT.

The IS200 and the RS200 are "chalk and cheese", look the same but the RS is much quicker. Weight distribution is 50/50 on the RS so much the same as the MR2, slower though cos the RS is a bit bigger and heavier.

I would guess the you would be happy with the Tezza assuming you want a manual and can find a 6MT.

yep gotta be a manual ideally though i want something faster than my mr2 as its a uk n/a not the jap turbo and it really aint quick enough for me anymore.

whats the 0-60 time on an rs anybody know off hand?

Basically im just wondering i theres anybody on here whos owned and loved their mr2 in the past and switched to an Altezza and thought either "wow thats brill!" or "damn why did i do that!"

yep gotta be a manual ideally though i want something faster than my mr2 as its a uk n/a not the jap turbo and it really aint quick enough for me anymore.

whats the 0-60 time on an rs anybody know off hand?

Basically im just wondering i theres anybody on here whos owned and loved their mr2 in the past and switched to an Altezza and thought either "wow thats brill!" or "damn why did i do that!"

Manual RS200 is supposed to be able to do a 7.2 sec 0-60....

Who cares about 0-60, it's 30-60 or 40-70 times that actually count when you plant it and want to overtake. If Your MR2 is too slow forget a Tezza go buy a MkIV Supra or an Aristo Vertex. Great in a straight line but watch the corners :lol:

Who cares about 0-60, it's 30-60 or 40-70 times that actually count when you plant it and want to overtake. If Your MR2 is too slow forget a Tezza go buy a MkIV Supra or an Aristo Vertex. Great in a straight line but watch the corners :lol:

Dito, 0-60's are for corsa owners who race round town from trafic lights because there car won't go any faster.

I owned an 88 wide bodied Mitsubishi Starion, similar to the origional MR2 but alot faster. and alot better looking! :D :winky: Pictures here.

I now drive a Lexus IS200, yes there like chalk and cheese but although the IS is no where near as fast and doesn't handle as well, I love every second of driving it, it's so comfy and I drove to the tip of wales last year, 5 hour drive for us, I got out like I had only been driving for an hour at most.

why not get a IS200, manuals are easy to come by and Supercharge it, it's only £1850 inc fitting. supercharger link.

Im sure for the price you'll pay for a Altezza RS200 6MT you could buy and supercharge an IS and I think there a touch quicker with half leather/heated seats and all the nice bits. Supercharger info.

in fact looking at the stats above it's .1 of a second quicker than the RS to 60 but more importantly the 30ish to 100ish is 8seconds quicker than the standard IS!

• 3 months later...
Guest inicol63

Hi i have owned a Mr 2 turbo 240 bhb 0-60in 5.2 sec i love it cant say that there is a lot out their that can keep up with these.

So your question should be how much do i need to spend for me to enjoy driving another marque.

I have the SC430 that is fairly quick but you can not car power drive these in and out of corners ( maybe i have no bottle).

Your other choice may be a gt4 witch has the same engine again, your not moving up in age of vehicle.

Same with the Skyline and Supra. This to me only leave Scooby or Evo. both can be a bit steep on insurance and service.

So what have i done to help absolutely nothing lol.

Any way good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I :heart: my Tezza! It's a very fast car! I have the RS200 Version. The RS200 gives out an explosion of power, almost comparable to the Honda VTEC, feeling and sounding like a race car with a VVTi engine and Beams Tuning it's fast but also holds the road very well! I have the 5 speed auto box (with f1 style e-shift gears) which I think is sooooooo much fun to drive! & it looks & sounds great!

So go get yourself an Altezza RS200! :yahoo:

Good luck!

Hey guys hope posts like this arent too frequent and im going over old ground here but are there any owners here who currently or previously have run mr2s?

i got a UK spec 99 rev5 but work are trying to indluence me into buying a more sensible respectful looking car and was considering a Beams Altezza as a happy compromise seeing as i want a fast car thats rear wheel drive japanese and i cant get my hands on a Beams mr2. My bro had an IS200 which was nice but not the fastest thing on the road by any stretch

totally different kinds of car i know but i love my Two to bits and want to know how they compare by experience before making any decisions - any owners in warrington?

cheers

magic

I've got a supercharged IS200 and an MR2 Turbo.

You can't really compare the two, they are just too different.

The IS200 is a great car in supercharged tune, it has bags of torque, and a great whine when you fit the induction kit. Lovely car to drive, comfortable, all the toys etc.

MR2 is more for 'outright thrills', good fun to drive, fast etc

Like I say, you can't compare the two.

If your after power, steer away from a standard n/a IS200, they just don't cut the mustard. Go for a supercharged version, or get the Altezza with the beams engine.