Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chromes!

maz786

Thinking of getting this from america for my black is200 what do u guys think of this? true opinions please!

and also if any of you guys have chromes on ur is200 can you post some pics so i have an idea how it will look! thanks!

speedster6cm0.jpg

speedster6detailhq9.jpg

Thinking of getting this from america for my black is200 what do u guys think of this? true opinions please!

and also if any of you guys have chromes on ur is200 can you post some pics so i have an idea how it will look! thanks!

speedster6cm0.jpg

speedster6detailhq9.jpg

I don't like chromes full stop, but mainly because the there too detailed so they just look to much when chromed because it pics out every facet.

on another note are they foose as in 'chip foose' alloys?

thanks for all your opinons! fatpieman its foose speedster wats chip foose?

I like them, especially if you go for the vip style they'd look great with the black car of yours.

and looking at the logo on the hubcap I'd definitely think this is foose brand by chip foose

see HERE

and HERE

thanks for all your opinons! fatpieman its foose speedster wats chip foose?

who is 'Chip Foose' he's a person not a company.

Chip Foose is the guy that does all the cars on discoverie's 'overhaulin' he designs one off wheels as well as the cars so I wondered if he's branched out to branding his designed wheels.

just wondered, thanks for letting me know.

yes, those are chip foose wheels.

go fo the chromes, if u cant afford it, can clean them every other day, and drive carefully.

I just dont think they are practical in this country.

im feeling these chromes i realy want these but i just can imagine how it will look! wats the maintanance like on these rims? and also is it true they mess up in winter or is that just rumour?

You'll need to clean them all the time. Probably best to hose them down every time after driving. I wouldn't even think about having them fitted during winter as the salt on the roads will ****** them up straight away. It did with my polished lip alloys so I'd hate to see what it'll do to a set of chromes.

im feeling these chromes i realy want these but i just can imagine how it will look! wats the maintanance like on these rims? and also is it true they mess up in winter or is that just rumour?

See'em all the time in the States, but mostly on pimped out Caddy's, SUV's, Trucks and occasional black mans Beemer or bigger Lexus. IMHO they look plastic and too much of an obvious 'bolt-on', but each to their own....and Maz if you're the man who likes his bling then why not.

Foose designs his wheels for the 'wow' effect in in shows and his TV program, not for practical everyday use on the road, except maybe in Californa where he was born, raised and still resides. He's a 'hot rodder' like Boyd Coddington (who he used to work with before setting up his own Company)..

The chrome plate will not last long in the UK environment as I can't see Foose specifying a decent thickness of nickel plate under the chrome to protect from corrosion, 'cos chrome itself is porous.

Thanks for the advice! so it is true then that the weather can damage the chrome! **** now having second thoughts i really liked em wen i saw them in santapod on 25th just looked awesome in real life! wait i have a pic that i took of the chromes selection this guy had! (2nd one from 2nd row)

santapod083hx8.jpg

my chromes are still shining after keeping them on thru the winter (albeit a mild winter)..funnily enough no pitting on front wheels (where all the brake dust gathers), but a bit of pitting on back wheels in the inner edge of the rim, and that's only because I went away on holiday for 3 weeks leaving the wheels dirty!!!!

If you get decent quality chromes with thick plating (mine are triple plated), and you polish them regularly and clean them regularly, you can maintain them - but it's hard work! Ideally, they are suited to drier climates!

Look nice but like others have said - not that practical for the UK. I got mine with the car but would never buy a set of chromes myself, especially if they are expensive imported ones. I would even stay away from polished rims for the same reason. Unfortunately for this country the best option is a decent painted/laqured finish.

I have had mine on through the winter and done about 10,000 miles with them on and don't really clean them that often. They are still generally o.k. but I can see the corrosion starting already. If I still have the car when they get in a real state I will prob get them stripped and repainted/laqured in a new finish cos I do like the style.

my chromes are still shining after keeping them on thru the winter (albeit a mild winter)..funnily enough no pitting on front wheels (where all the brake dust gathers), but a bit of pitting on back wheels in the inner edge of the rim, and that's only because I went away on holiday for 3 weeks leaving the wheels dirty!!!!

If you get decent quality chromes with thick plating (mine are triple plated), and you polish them regularly and clean them regularly, you can maintain them - but it's hard work! Ideally, they are suited to drier climates!

im gonna find out how thick the plating is on these!

Look nice but like others have said - not that practical for the UK. I got mine with the car but would never buy a set of chromes myself, especially if they are expensive imported ones. I would even stay away from polished rims for the same reason. Unfortunately for this country the best option is a decent painted/laqured finish.

I have had mine on through the winter and done about 10,000 miles with them on and don't really clean them that often. They are still generally o.k. but I can see the corrosion starting already. If I still have the car when they get in a real state I will prob get them stripped and repainted/laqured in a new finish cos I do like the style.

nice rims mate can you post a closer pic of the rims! thanks for the comment!

I have had chromes on for 18 months I give them a good clean once a month. Just soap and water in between. Had them on all winter and not a problem very easy to maintain,unlike a lot of alloys Iv'e had in the past. And most definitely better than any Lexus OEM wheels which seem to pit and corode if you don't pamper them. The difference with chrome rims is buying a "DECENT" brand. If Chip Foose is putting his name to them then they will be top quality. Regarding maintainence just make sure you do not use an abrasive polish and always give them a coat of wax after cleaning them.

nice one!!

nice rims mate can you post a closer pic of the rims! thanks for the comment!

these are the only pics I have online:

lexus_01.JPG

Not sure what they are tho, they have "Cerberus" on the centre caps.

i swear iv seen ur car on eBay! was it for sale or did u buy it from eBay? looks nice!!!

Thanks for the pics!

These are what i've got on mine.

milexx2ja6.jpg

Just need a good polish now and then, and they are fine.

I'm in the north west too, where its p!sses down every other day, and apart from the usual brake dust

building up, they've been in good nick.

I use this turtle wax stuff to clean, makes it really easy. Not a fan of turtle wax, but this is really good. Just brush it on, and wash it off. Robert's your dad's brother! :D

Just found a better pic. Chromes really do make the car look good!

p1010465jr7.jpg