Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Do I Pay To Have Wheels Refurbed ?

Hi guys,

Sadly after 4 years I have decided it's time to try and sell my IS200. I was just after a general opinion as to whether I should pay to have all 4 wheels refurbed. There is a reasonable amount of corrosion and there have been a couple of 'kerbing incidents', as a result they don't really look that good in my opinion.

Trouble is, do I spend (currently ringing round for quotes....) the money on making the car look better prior to selling it, or is the opinion that I won't really get the money back in the asking price?

If you were looking at a 2000 (V) IS200 sport in Granite Sky, would you consider buying it if the wheels didn't look that great.......

Dave

Yep I agree, refurb should only cost about £40 per wheel, but will add so much to the saleability of the car - similar to giving the car a good polish before showing it........

If they look bad, people are just going to knock down your price anyway - but no harm trying to sell first and see what kind of response you get :)

"how about if you refurb them then make sure you add the refurb price it onto the price of the car when you sell it and make it a selling point"

Well that is one option available to me.... but I suppose a possible answer from a potential buyer might be 'why should I pay for the work that you have had done ?'

So far I have had pricing back from 2 companies, and am awaiting for replies from others. Based on those 2 quotes, I'm looking at a good £300 for all 4 wheels to be done. I'm hoping that other quotes will be a bit less than that. Also one of those companies offered the refurb service but had no facilities to leave my car supported without wheels, so therefore the logistics for me would probably be too much.

Driver%20side%20front.jpg

Driver%20side%20rear.jpg

Passenger%20side%20front.jpg

Passenger%20side%20rear.jpg

According to Parkers:

Private Good £6,075

Private Poor £4,970

Don't know what your asking price is, but potentially you got £1100 pounds difference just because your wheels look crap, so it might be worth £100-150 to fix the wheels.

Your wheels are actually that bad i've seen alot worse and as long as you do your best to clean them up i don't think it will make a huge difference to selling your car at the end of then day it's a lexus your selling.

I don't think you should bother with getting the wheels done your probably be spending more than what you'll get back on the car. B)

Anyway whatever you decide to do i hope you sell it quickly and get the price that your after.

According to Parkers:

Private Good £6,075

Private Poor £4,970

Don't know what your asking price is, but potentially you got £1100 pounds difference just because your wheels look crap, so it might be worth £100-150 to fix the wheels.

There's no way the wheels make £1100 difference!! If it does everyone would make sure there wheels are top notch.

Private poor price is based on many things being poor with the car not just one thing. :blink:

There's no way the wheels make £1100 difference!! If it does everyone would make sure there wheels are top notch.

Private poor price is based on many things being poor with the car not just one thing. :blink:

If it wasn't clear from my post that the point I was trying to make is that there is a potential £1100 difference between a good and poor condition car, and that the cost of refurbing the wheels can be easily offset by the car commanding a higher asking price as the condition has improved, I do apologise.

If it wasn't clear from my post that the point I was trying to make is that there is a potential £1100 difference between a good and poor condition car, and that the cost of refurbing the wheels can be easily offset by the car commanding a higher asking price as the condition has improved, I do apologise.

I see your point but as the wheels are not that bad i didn't think the money spent on refurbishing the alloys would be justified.

I don't know which is the best route to take, just don't sell it then you won't have any problems with the wheels :lol:

Yaumeister, i apologise if it seemed as though i was trying to discredit your opinion was not my intention and my apologies.

Of course every one has their own opinion and everyone thinks differently. :D

Also, i dont know if you've had a look at the club meets post again as you said you would be interested in a local meet in your area, i've put up a potential date if you want to have a look and let me know cheers mate. B)

:)

Not saying this is the answer but all I have done this past 2 yrs is once a year lightly sand the wheels to smoothish, stick supermarket bags in the holes to protect the discs and mask off the tyres (in situ), and spray with Halfords silver wheel paint. I got carried away last year and sprayed on some laquer too, but not really worth it.

When i finished the wheels looked really good unless you went down close and critical. For about a tenner, thats what i would do.

Maybe I am just tight ?

Yep I agree, refurb should only cost about £40 per wheel, but will add so much to the saleability of the car - similar to giving the car a good polish before showing it........

If they look bad, people are just going to knock down your price anyway - but no harm trying to sell first and see what kind of response you get :)

Cost me £80 per wheel but they came back looking brand new.

worth the extra to get them diamon cut and re furbed. You cna get them powder coated for around £40-60 a wheel

ive just had mine done for £120. just a rub down and spray. looks alot better with nice wheels.

to be honset tho. urs dont really need a refurb unless u want them to look brand new. just give them a tcut and it will make the world of difference

by the looks of it ur wheels have already had a refurb. they should be diamond cut

whip your wheels off and take them to local tyre center and get the tyres off for you(around 5 quid a tyre) take them home rub them down and give them a good primer and then a few coats of silver.It shouldnt cost you no more than 60 quid and you will make that back no problem