Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Windscreen Washers - No Water

Anyone had a problem with their windcreen washers?

I have no water coming from the drivers side and very little from the passenger side.

Investigation shows the pipes have been crushed almost flat by the seal where the bonnet sits over the bulkhead. Definately getting water to the joint before the crush areas (checked by disconnecting at the joint and testing - plenty of pressure).

Seems like a design problem to me. Replacing the crushed part of the pipes will only give a temporary solution. Also seems like it will be difficult to get the washer jets out of their mounting in the bonnet without marking the paintwork.

Anyone encountered this and found a solution?

Anyone know how to successfully get the washer jets out without marking the bonnet?

Anyone had a problem with their windcreen washers?

I have no water coming from the drivers side and very little from the passenger side.

Investigation shows the pipes have been crushed almost flat by the seal where the bonnet sits over the bulkhead. Definately getting water to the joint before the crush areas (checked by disconnecting at the joint and testing - plenty of pressure).

Seems like a design problem to me. Replacing the crushed part of the pipes will only give a temporary solution. Also seems like it will be difficult to get the washer jets out of their mounting in the bonnet without marking the paintwork.

Anyone encountered this and found a solution?

Anyone know how to successfully get the washer jets out without marking the bonnet?

Have similar problem in the performance of the jets; only reach bottom part of the screen; as still under warranty though letting the dealer sort it out. Will let you know how they resolve.

I spoke with the servicing guy at the local Lexus dealer to see if they had any reported problems with this - they hadn't.

I decided I would buy some new washer pipe and try and sort it myself - cost me all of £1 for 2 meters of pipe.

I removed the washer jets - held in by sprung arms on the jet itself, which I manged to push back with a thin screwdriver, through the holes in the strengthening plates. Had a good look at the jets and pipe. I could see that the natural route for the pipe is not through the holes in the underside of the bonnet, as the connections are at 90 degrees to the bonnet surface. I could also see that the pipes were not only squeezed by the bonnet and the seal, but were also doubled over on themselves to get through the holes and onto the jet connections. I removed the pipes and fitted new pieces, routing the pipe on a natural course between the bonnet and its strengthening member, not through the holes. Connected everything up and hey presto! Water streaming in beautiful jets onto the windscreen!!!

I inspected the pipes futher and strangely I noticed what looks like paint spray on the pipes. Yikes! Does this mean that the bonnet has been sprayed at some time? :ohmy: I am now suspicious of its history and wonder if a repair has been done to the bonnet -although I can't see any other evidence, apart from the mis-routing of the washer pipework. :o

In summary, sorted it by routing new pipework where I think it should have been, between the bonnet and strengthening plates, not through the holes in the stiffeners. :D

I spoke with the servicing guy at the local Lexus dealer to see if they had any reported problems with this - they hadn't.

I decided I would buy some new washer pipe and try and sort it myself - cost me all of £1 for 2 meters of pipe.

I removed the washer jets - held in by sprung arms on the jet itself, which I manged to push back with a thin screwdriver, through the holes in the strengthening plates. Had a good look at the jets and pipe. I could see that the natural route for the pipe is not through the holes in the underside of the bonnet, as the connections are at 90 degrees to the bonnet surface. I could also see that the pipes were not only squeezed by the bonnet and the seal, but were also doubled over on themselves to get through the holes and onto the jet connections. I removed the pipes and fitted new pieces, routing the pipe on a natural course between the bonnet and its strengthening member, not through the holes. Connected everything up and hey presto! Water streaming in beautiful jets onto the windscreen!!!

I inspected the pipes futher and strangely I noticed what looks like paint spray on the pipes. Yikes! Does this mean that the bonnet has been sprayed at some time? :ohmy: I am now suspicious of its history and wonder if a repair has been done to the bonnet -although I can't see any other evidence, apart from the mis-routing of the washer pipework. :o

In summary, sorted it by routing new pipework where I think it should have been, between the bonnet and strengthening plates, not through the holes in the stiffeners. :D

Thanks for the update; will have a look at mine and see if the pipes look squashed!