Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

My name is Ian and I'm a new member and am enjoying the forum. I'm also now looking for some advice.

I purchased a 1995 LS 400 in November which had no key fobs for the alarm. The car has never had the alarm activated as the previous owner said he had a problem with it and switched the box off at the bulkhead. I have never used the alarm.

The Battery in the car kept going flat if the car wasn't moved for a week or so. So I was jumping it with another Battery and jump leads at which time, after driving the car for some distance, it would start again no problem. The alternator seems to be working okay.

I took the Battery out of the car and put it on charge. The small indicator built into the Battery was clear as if the Battery was not holding a charge. So I purchased a new Battery and herein lies the problem.

Because I disconnected the Battery, the immobiliser has come on and I can't start the car. The security light on the dash now comes on red and when you open the door with the key it flashes but it's hard to determine how many flashes it does (quite a few). Have any of you had this problem after disconnecting the Battery? Any advice would be very welcome.

Best regards, Ian

Hi,

I just changed the Battery on my 2000 Mk4 yesterday, and the handbook said I had to turn the ignition to the "On" position, leave it for 6 minutes then turn it off. The car should then start normally and indeed it did!

I don't know if your 1995 uses the same system, but it might be worth a try?

KEITH

• Like 1

Damn! This happened to me once on MY 95 Ser 3.

Lexus Bristol had the answer, which went something like. Turn key to 'on. Disconnect earth lead. Turn key off. Connect earth. Start.

BUT....that's just my memory which is very likely to have missed a step or something. It's because the Alarm system ISN'T Lexus' but an add-on.

I seem to recall once posting the start-up info on here once, so it MAY be worth looking it up under Alarms/ Immobilisers etc in the file?

Otherwise, try ringing Lexus Bristol?

Any luck Ian? What is the outcome?

I'm intereested as I have the same model.

I had a problem with the imobiliser stuck on, it was fixed over the phone by Colin the service manager at Lexus Guildford (he was a technician in 1995 and knows the cars). I do have a key fob (just 1) and the fault was that the slider on the key fob was resting in the middle, rather than switched to one side or the other.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...;hl=colin+searl

• 3 years later...

Try contacting this company I have used these guys www.turnerautomotive.co.uk/immobiliser-problems.html they have helped a few of my friends also.

They helped me disable the immobiliser so that I could use a diferent engine in my car and didnt want to change the BSI unit as it would make it too complicated, they have also removed the immo on an Audi engine for one of my mates so he could fit it into his kit car

• 1 year later...

I've just got my first lexus

After 2 weeks I just went out to the car, I pushed the open on the key fob, it did not work "open the car"

I opened the car using the key tried I tried to start it nothing !!!!

Help what's wrong !

I take its something todo with the Immobiliser !!

Hi Culla99 ,same thing happened with mine a couple of weeks ago,turned out to be the Battery . My Grandaughter

had trapped the seat belt in the rear door stopping it from closing properly .Went to start the car two days later and no remote function or starter motor.

Took three days for the Battery to recharge ,it seems to be ok at the moment.

Good luck with your problem.

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

I take it you have an IS200?

First thing is to try the spare key if you have one or replace the Battery in the key you have and then go from there.

If the Battery has gone in the key it will not open or close your car or transmit the required security code to your alarm/immobiliser system pick up sensor located around the ignition lock.

If you don't fancy replacing the Battery yourself a local locksmith or Toyota/Lexus dealer can do it for around a Tenner.

First thing is to try the spare key if you have one or replace the battery in the key you have and then go from there.

If the battery has gone in the key it will not open or close your car or transmit the required security code to your alarm/immobiliser system pick up sensor located around the ignition lock.

If you don't fancy replacing the battery yourself a local locksmith or Toyota/Lexus dealer can do it for around a Tenner.

There are videos on youtube showing you how to change the bat - it is easy a new bat is less than £2.00. You have to take the the the slider off the top of the key (without breaking it). Remove the mechanism from the shell. Change the bat and reassemble.

Here is the video

Good luck

Bren

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I just changed the battery on my 2000 Mk4 yesterday, and the handbook said I had to turn the ignition to the "On" position, leave it for 6 minutes then turn it off. The car should then start normally and indeed it did!

I don't know if your 1995 uses the same system, but it might be worth a try?

KEITH

yo don you saved me some money this worked it really worked ived looked on line for the whole day and this was my last try nuff respect to spacenase

First thing is to try the spare key if you have one or replace the battery in the key you have and then go from there.

If the battery has gone in the key it will not open or close your car or transmit the required security code to your alarm/immobiliser system pick up sensor located around the ignition lock.

If you don't fancy replacing the battery yourself a local locksmith or Toyota/Lexus dealer can do it for around a Tenner.

These alarms and immobilisers are the bane of modern cars, the more sophisticated the car ( like our Lexus models) the more trouble you are likely to have with these damn devices, I've posted on the LOC before about the problems I've had with keys not working, alarm being set-off for no reason (my LS 400 doesn't like being near a Tesco-come to think of it, neither do I !) I wish I could get mine disconnected permanently, like I did with a Cherokee Jeep I had years ago, and just used the fob for remote unlock and lock, -saved a lot of grief for the remainder of the ownership of that vehicle.

I'm not the only one then getting trouble! Another thing I forgot to mention, is when going through security barriers in Tesco,M&S, Morrisons, etc, my Lexus remote fob triggers the alarms, causing the security guy to look at me strangely, -especially as I'm on the way IN -but oddly, it doesn't affect them on exiting the Stores......