Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

lads, i've had a set of dunlop 245/45/18s ordered in specially by my local tyre center. i wanted to get a little more meat under there to soften the ride as much as possible. knowing it should be a 40 profile, i'm starting to bottle it cos someone has told me messing with the tyre size could ruin the handling. It will cost me €700 to find out.

is there any truth to this?

lads, i've had a set of dunlop 245/45/18s ordered in specially by my local tyre center. i wanted to get a little more meat under there to soften the ride as much as possible. knowing it should be a 40 profile, i'm starting to bottle it cos someone has told me messing with the tyre size could ruin the handling. It will cost me €700 to find out.

is there any truth to this?

Yeah there is some truth to it, but it wont apply to you.

Basically if you had gone from 18" wheels to 20" wheels then yeah, your handling would change. But going from a 40 series tyre to a 45 series wont make a difference at all. Well, not to your handling anyway. Your ride MAY become softer, but i dont know how noticeable that will be.

You can sleep in peace now knowing your handling wont be affected! :)

got my Nokian 245/45 18s and they rule. a lot of tyre on the wheels now and the ride is much smoother better. highly recommended mod IMO

How much? And whats the verdict on road noise, handling etc etc?

always had this size on the rear of my car .much better ride in my opinion .dont worry about speedo reading as it is well out anyway.the sport models speedo will be out by about 10 mph at 100 mph ( so your car will read 100 mph but you will only be doing around 90 mph)

always had this size on the rear of my car .much better ride in my opinion .dont worry about speedo reading as it is well out anyway.the sport models speedo will be out by about 10 mph at 100 mph ( so your car will read 100 mph but you will only be doing around 90 mph)

All car speedo's are set to 10% above what you are actually doing. Hence why a camera wont flash you when you go through it at 54Mph in a 50 zone. Setting speedo's 10% above actual speed is actually condoned by the Police themselves!

Changing from a 40 series tyre to a 45 series wont affect the speedo one bit.

Mudzs - I take it as you have 45 series on the rears and a 40 series on the fronts?

yes only on the rear .i was under the impression that because the sport model had the 18 alloy wheels that this threw the speedo out more than usual .my friends standard gs300 speedo is quite accurate at high speed and mine is well out.