Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Auto Locking & Lights Warning

If I open my IS220D and sit inside complete with key-in-pocket and do nothing, just sit there....the car will suddenly lock all doors. I've seen this discussed on a few threads.

I'm confused when I read them and I have to say I'm confused by some owners claiming NO autolock and mine appears to autolock...admittedly I do realise that if I start the car and drive this does not happen.

However the functionality of autolock appears to be in the system...so that leaves me like others wondering what's going on?

I would also seek advice on whether or not a lights left ON warning beeper can be activated or deactivated because presently I can turn off the engine...lock the car...and if I've left any lights on ...TOO BAD!...NO BEEPER.

I would have thought there would have been some protection for the Battery...maybe I've inadvertently deactivated a warning...not sure...would appreciate comment or advice...thanks in advance

Mine is always on Auto...

Erm, as far as the Auto lock feature is concerned, the 30 seconds thing is standard on most cars these days. On the Lexus it can be set to 30 or 60 seconds.

The Personalisation setting section is on or around page 389 of the manual.

It's the autolock when you drive off that is a significant oversight.

However, you can activate Anti-Hijack, which effectively allows you to unlock just the drivers door with one press of the fob, all doors with 2 press's, or just the drivers door by placing fingers on inside of handle as normal. Once in this mode, if you place your fingers behind the passenger handle, all doors unlock.

With this enabled, you can drive off and no one can jump into the passengers side, rear doors, or the boot etc

Erm, as far as the Auto lock feature is concerned, the 30 seconds thing is standard on most cars these days. On the Lexus it can be set to 30 or 60 seconds.

However, you can activate Anti-Hijack, which effectively allows you to unlock just the drivers door with one press of the fob, all doors with 2 press's, or just the drivers door by placing fingers on inside of handle as normal. Once in this mode, if you place your fingers behind the passenger handle, all doors unlock.

With this enabled, you can drive off and no one can jump into the passengers side, rear doors, or the boot etc

If you had the patience you can sit in the car ...do nothing for 30 seconds... all the doors will then lock automatically...now startup and drive off with all doors locked.

If you had the patience you can sit in the car ...do nothing for 30 seconds... all the doors will then lock automatically...now startup and drive off with all doors locked.

Is it just me, or why dont you make that massive effort and lift your arm and push the lock button situated on the door, next to your right hand???? its not rocket science? Surely we cant all be that lazy?? ...............can we?

Is it just me, or why dont you make that massive effort and lift your arm and push the lock button situated on the door, next to your right hand???? its not rocket science? Surely we cant all be that lazy?? ...............can we?

Wow, a real solution from the trade :lol:

Why don't we just turn handles to open windows on a hot day, or better still walk instead of driving... :lol: Why do we have remote controls for the TV?

Come on, that's no excuse - these cars are not cheap! You expect a few mod cons on a so called premium brand...especially when even a pug offers this as standard, and Lexus feel it fit to offer these things in some countries and not others - explain that one?

PS - should just add - these cars cost a lot less in the 'states - and not only can they have detailed LPS, but other options which we cannot here, and we pay our way! It's little things like this which can make the difference, especially when it so easy to accidentally leave the doors unlocked (having had 2 attempted "Car jacks" it's an issue I take seriously). My salesmen told me the car did have auto locks (he was a new salesmen, the model was just launched), else I seriously would have re-considered.

Wow, a real solution from the trade :lol:

Why don't we just turn handles to open windows on a hot day, or better still walk instead of driving... :lol: Why do we have remote controls for the TV?

Come on, that's no excuse - these cars are not cheap! You expect a few mod cons on a so called premium brand...especially when even a pug offers this as standard, and Lexus feel it fit to offer these things in some countries and not others - explain that one?

PS - should just add - these cars cost a lot less in the 'states - and not only can they have detailed LPS, but other options which we cannot here, and we pay our way! It's little things like this which can make the difference, especially when it so easy to accidentally leave the doors unlocked (having had 2 attempted "Car jacks" it's an issue I take seriously). My salesmen told me the car did have auto locks (he was a new salesmen, the model was just launched), else I seriously would have re-considered.

No offence meant, I just cant believe the things people moan about sometimes, sit in your car for 30 seconds and wait for it to lock?????? why not just sit in your car for 3 seconds and press the button?

Seroiusly you would have re considered your entire purchase of a car because it didn't have auto locking? Now I have heard everything!! All I read about on here is people moaning and groaning about stuff and what they have in the states and what we dont have here. If you dont like it move to the states,or buy one cheaper from there and import it, i'm sure you'll relish that at re sale time!!! The dealers dont build the cars, we sell them and try to provide a service above and beyond everyone elses, which we do, its proven, if we cant switch on auto locking, its not our fault. I understand you pay alot for these cars, but you'd pay alot more for something else. They are great value, great quality and for what my opinion is worth, the best company I've ever worked for.

Rant over, sorry if i've ruffled anyones feathers.

MCUK23

No offence meant, I just cant believe the things people moan about sometimes, sit in your car for 30 seconds and wait for it to lock?????? why not just sit in your car for 3 seconds and press the button?

Seroiusly you would have re considered your entire purchase of a car because it didn't have auto locking? Now I have heard everything!! All I read about on here is people moaning and groaning about stuff and what they have in the states and what we dont have here. If you dont like it move to the states,or buy one cheaper from there and import it, i'm sure you'll relish that at re sale time!!! The dealers dont build the cars, we sell them and try to provide a service above and beyond everyone elses, which we do, its proven, if we cant switch on auto locking, its not our fault. I understand you pay alot for these cars, but you'd pay alot more for something else. They are great value, great quality and for what my opinion is worth, the best company I've ever worked for.

MCUK23

I think you have a valid point viz sitting and waiting vs pressing the button. But doesn't it strike you as odd that the US can have these features and the Europeans cannot? Personally I have no difficulty in pressing the button - when I remember, and that surely is the point. The prevelance of carjacking these days is a serious issue and one which any manufacturer can, and should, do something to help prevent.

MCUK23

:lol:

People do moan and groan, because they expect more - sorry should re-phrase that - expect to be treated equally around the globe by a global company, which just so happens to be the biggestish car manufacturer in the world!

It just seems to me that the only logical answer you can give to not having auto locks is "move over there" or "import one". Why can't you as a salesman take the mantle on our behalf and tell Lexus we want this feature - fight the cause? That's not too much to ask if your Cust Sat and service is so good, is it? So put the sales patter to actual use!

Small issue to you maybe, but: You'd understand how disconcerting it feels to have some stranger trying to open a rear door in your car whilst you have a 10 month old baby in a child seat in there if it happened to you. Luckily my AUDI, built 4 years ago, had the feature enabled, and the vagrant could only thump on the glass and kick the door....

And as far as build quality is concerned, don't get me started! If you've read any of my posts you will know that I have had shockingly bad treatment on a car that has had more warranty visits then I care to remember, as have at least 2 other owners on here (one of which has defected (alpappy) and one who refuses to post on here any more.

To me it's more of an oversight than Merc's not having double locking, or even stranger when you consider that Lexus is so concerned about your safety that they give you loads of airbags, which you might need once, but cannot enable a simple feature which would have cost nothing...It is a small thing, but as such get's you annoyed, and no I'm not a gold fish, I can remember to lock the doors. The point is that I shouldn't have to, especially when I know the car is capable!

rant over too

PS - Si - fully agreed!

PPS - If: I had been told the car has a rattle problem, no fix available and mine would go in 4 times for remedy and foam fixes, the gearing means 70 in 6th is a "tall" order and robs it of enjoyment, fuel economy of 44.8 is hard to achieve, the Sat Nav has loads of nanny, the alloys still corrode, the paint is thin, my cheque for my PEX would be delayed by 5 weeks, 3 Cherished xfer forms would be incorrect, meaning I would have to make endless visits, and oh yes the auto locks are actually not availble, then yes, I would have looked elsewhere! OK my test drive should have cleared the drive stuff, but tesdrive was on a brand spanker and the sales man said it had a tight engine...

MCUK23

:lol:

People do moan and groan, because they expect more - sorry should re-phrase that - expect to be treated equally around the globe by a global company, which just so happens to be the biggestish car manufacturer in the world!

It just seems to me that the only logical answer you can give to not having auto locks is "move over there" or "import one". Why can't you as a salesman take the mantle on our behalf and tell Lexus we want this feature - fight the cause? That's not too much to ask if your Cust Sat and service is so good, is it? So put the sales patter to actual use!

Small issue to you maybe, but: You'd understand how disconcerting it feels to have some stranger trying to open a rear door in your car whilst you have a 10 month old baby in a child seat in there if it happened to you. Luckily my AUDI, built 4 years ago, had the feature enabled, and the vagrant could only thump on the glass and kick the door....

And as far as build quality is concerned, don't get me started! If you've read any of my posts you will know that I have had shockingly bad treatment on a car that has had more warranty visits then I care to remember, as have at least 2 other owners on here (one of which has defected (alpappy) and one who refuses to post on here any more.

To me it's more of an oversight than Merc's not having double locking, or even stranger when you consider that Lexus is so concerned about your safety that they give you loads of airbags, which you might need once, but cannot enable a simple feature which would have cost nothing...It is a small thing, but as such get's you annoyed, and no I'm not a gold fish, I can remember to lock the doors. The point is that I shouldn't have to, especially when I know the car is capable!

rant over too

PS - Si - fully agreed!

PPS - If: I had been told the car has a rattle problem, no fix available and mine would go in 4 times for remedy and foam fixes, the gearing means 70 in 6th is a "tall" order and robs it of enjoyment, fuel economy of 44.8 is hard to achieve, the Sat Nav has loads of nanny, the alloys still corrode, the paint is thin, my cheque for my PEX would be delayed by 5 weeks, 3 Cherished xfer forms would be incorrect, meaning I would have to make endless visits, and oh yes the auto locks are actually not availble, then yes, I would have looked elsewhere! OK my test drive should have cleared the drive stuff, but tesdrive was on a brand spanker and the sales man said it had a tight engine...

Dead on

This is the same kind of crap i'm getting over my car SAT/NAV ( different thread) I have seriously started to question Lexus's so called "above and beyond everyone elses service". As a matter of interest, do you not find having to open a door when your car is stopped on auto to turn off the lights a pain, a small one but a pain non the less.

However the functionality of autolock appears to be in the system...so that leaves me like others wondering what's going on?

Of course nobody's that stupid...30 secs then drive off etc...it is a throw away satirical comment, the line above from the first appearance of this discussion raises the point that autolocking is already in the system as clearly shown by wait 30 secs autolock kicks in and drive off with the doors locked...maybe...just maybe...a change of software might be able to be implemented to work around this contencious issue.

Lexus are quite capable people even though on this issue they manifestly are not showing it.

P.S. Great response to the trade Jamboo...loads of facts and figures (non-fiction non sales pitch). I know like others here you're not taking it out on the person you're targeting the trade. However when someone from the trade tries to defend the indefensible ...blood can boil!

...snip...

All I read about on here is people moaning and groaning about stuff and what they have in the states and what we dont have here. If you dont like it move to the states,or buy one cheaper from there and import it, i'm sure you'll relish that at re sale time!!!

MCUK23

What a ridiculous statement.

It bothers you what people want? (Or moan about as you put it) It obviously does as you had to have your say.

If people want they want it. People point out a safety shortfall and because you don't see it as so, this is your response?

Do you always lock your doors? If you don't then you obviously don't consider it a priority and if you get jacked or someone attacks your misses for her handbag then you will probably have wished it had been automatically on. It is over in seconds. Believe me, I know.

If you do lock your doors wouldn't it be nice if it did it automatically. Can you honestly say that you do it every time? Silly question - how would you know if you forgot? It only takes once. Coming from not the best place in the world, it has been pointed out to me several times how easy it is to look across from the outside and see the tell tale red bit near the inside door handle and know the other doors probably aren't locked.

In the hustle and bustle of life, we forget sometimes. It is not a case of being lazy. It is not a requirement so therefore it can be an oversight. I fail to see why it has got to you or why you can't accept that.

In pursuit of perfection - isn't it perfection for the customer also? Surely one of the advantages of the higher class car are all the automated features, etc.? Safety is a great issue. Surely anything that could contribute to personal safety is a bonus?

What about for all the people who don't lock their doors? Several attempts have been foiled because of this simple automation. I know of at least one with my friends Merc - he couldn't see the sense in it until his wife was nearly jacked.

Lexus themselves obviously felt people want it as they have included it in various releases around of the world. Just like a lot of other manufacturers. Isn't automation a way forward? We have automated all sorts in our lives. Accept it is what people want, however easy it is to perform a task. I 'll bet you have loads of automated things in your life - or do you switch them off and do everything manually?

You seem to have taken this personally. You are the customer facing side of the manufacturer. Nice to see how you welcome customer wishes. You are obviously in the wrong job. It would be interesting to see what Lexus UK think of this thread. (Yes, they do read the site as a few of us have found)

Ps.

Hello again everyone!

...snip...

All I read about on here is people moaning and groaning about stuff and what they have in the states and what we dont have here. If you dont like it move to the states,or buy one cheaper from there and import it, i'm sure you'll relish that at re sale time!!!

MCUK23

What a ridiculous statement.

It bothers you what people want? (Or moan about as you put it) It obviously does as you had to have your say.

If people want they want it. People point out a safety shortfall and because you don't see it as so, this is your response?

Do you always lock your doors? If you don't then you obviously don't consider it a priority and if you get jacked or someone attacks your misses for her handbag then you will probably have wished it had been automatically on. It is over in seconds. Believe me, I know.

If you do lock your doors wouldn't it be nice if it did it automatically. Can you honestly say that you do it every time? Silly question - how would you know if you forgot? It only takes once. Coming from not the best place in the world, it has been pointed out to me several times how easy it is to look across from the outside and see the tell tale red bit near the inside door handle and know the other doors probably aren't locked.

In the hustle and bustle of life, we forget sometimes. It is not a case of being lazy. It is not a requirement so therefore it can be an oversight. I fail to see why it has got to you or why you can't accept that.

In pursuit of perfection - isn't it perfection for the customer also? Surely one of the advantages of the higher class car are all the automated features, etc.? Safety is a great issue. Surely anything that could contribute to personal safety is a bonus?

What about for all the people who don't lock their doors? Several attempts have been foiled because of this simple automation. I know of at least one with my friends Merc - he couldn't see the sense in it until his wife was nearly jacked.

Lexus themselves obviously felt people want it as they have included it in various releases around of the world. Just like a lot of other manufacturers. Isn't automation a way forward? We have automated all sorts in our lives. Accept it is what people want, however easy it is to perform a task. I 'll bet you have loads of automated things in your life - or do you switch them off and do everything manually?

You seem to have taken this personally. You are the customer facing side of the manufacturer. Nice to see how you welcome customer wishes. You are obviously in the wrong job. It would be interesting to see what Lexus UK think of this thread. (Yes, they do read the site as a few of us have found)

Ps.

Hello again everyone!

Feathers well and truly ruffled!

The point I was trying to make was that sitting in your car for 30 seconds before it locks is ludicrus, when there is a button placed 3 inches from your hand to do the same job. I have never been car jacked and never had an attempt so the locking the doors thing for me is unimportant, however I understand that it is an imortant feature foir some people. Lexus are a worldwide manufacturer and part of the biggest motor company on the planet, they do an incredible job in raising the bar in customer satisfaction and product quality and driveability. It sometimes annoys me how people can get so het up about something (to me ) is such a small point, I was stating my opinion. There are things in all walks of life that are different in the states to here but that is the way it is. Jamboo, I have personally raised points mentioned to Lexus officials on several occasions and we get the same answers as you, it cant be done. There are guys who have gone to europe for the Rx series with their complaints for sat nav/ phone / locking etc etc and had no joy, it is just the way it is, yes it is frustrating, but there is nothing that can be done(you wait, the'll have it as standard next week!!) It would be great to have these features as standard and if you have been sold a car on the pretense that it had it then that is a dealership issue, not a Lexus GB issue. Geoffers, I do take things personally sometimes as i am an enthusiast, and incredibly passionate about the product I sell. I welcome customers feedback and comments and wil do my upmost to ensure I can fulfil their needs, however there are times when expectations are too high or unrealistic. I was not knocking customer wishes but I was simply stating that sitting in your car for 30 seconds waiting for the doors to lock is ludicrus when there is a button to press next to your hand. Sorry if I have caused any offence but, am I not entitled to my opinion too? as a Lexus owner? and a fan! :)

Thanks

MCUK23

Cheers MCUK, but you state "....it cant be done. There are guys who have gone to europe for the Rx series with their complaints for sat nav/ phone / locking etc etc and had no joy, it is just the way it is, yes it is frustrating, but there is nothing that can be done...."

So the question is Why can it be done in other parts of the world and not here?

I'm gonna ask Gill Want @ LGB for an answer...and let you all kno what happens (or doesn't).

PS - emailed

According to my manual (page 370), customising (personalisation) can only be done with specialised equipment. Is this so?

It sometimes annoys me how people can get so het up about something (to me ) is such a small point, I was stating my opinion. There are things in all walks of life that are different in the states to here but that is the way it is. Jamboo, I have personally raised points mentioned to Lexus officials on several occasions and we get the same answers as you, it cant be done. There are guys who have gone to europe for the Rx series with their complaints for sat nav/ phone / locking etc etc and had no joy, it is just the way it is, yes it is frustrating, but there is nothing that can be done(you wait, the'll have it as standard next week!!) It would be great to have these features as standard and if you have been sold a car on the pretense that it had it then that is a dealership issue, not a Lexus GB issue. Geoffers, I do take things personally sometimes as i am an

Me, as an owner, don't care whos issue it is, I just care, that citroen C5 for half money has autolocking and my lexus doesn't - but it is possible in the US, so it's just software problem. I don't get the point, I see just stupidity from Lexus Europe.

It sometimes annoys me how people can get so het up about something (to me ) is such a small point, I was stating my opinion. There are things in all walks of life that are different in the states to here but that is the way it is. Jamboo, I have personally raised points mentioned to Lexus officials on several occasions and we get the same answers as you, it cant be done. There are guys who have gone to europe for the Rx series with their complaints for sat nav/ phone / locking etc etc and had no joy, it is just the way it is, yes it is frustrating, but there is nothing that can be done(you wait, the'll have it as standard next week!!) It would be great to have these features as standard and if you have been sold a car on the pretense that it had it then that is a dealership issue, not a Lexus GB issue. Geoffers, I do take things personally sometimes as i am an

Me, as an owner, don't care whos issue it is, I just care, that citroen C5 for half money has autolocking and my lexus doesn't - but it is possible in the US, so it's just software problem. I don't get the point, I see just stupidity from Lexus Europe.

Another reason not to buy another one! Possibly BMW next for me.

The car itself is great apart from the rattles, the annoying nanny features and the lack of ability to control things like auto locking etc.

The so called Excellent Customer service doesn't really exist!