Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Is200, Rear Wobbles Side To Side!

maz786

Hi everyone!

I got my rear shock absorbers replaced yesterday by Lexus under warranty, now i have come across a problem, when im driving over little pot holes on roads the rear of my car tends to wobble alot and u can feel the rear just moving side to side never had this problem just happened after i got my rear shocks replaced what could it be? anything to do with the shocks or suspension? any suggestions will be helpful

Thank you!

Maz

By process of elimination, id imagine you've already answered you're question.... :)

By process of elimination, id imagine you've already answered you're question.... :)

Hope you get it resolved dude

To fit the shocks the camber adjuster bolts would normally be removed. If yes then the Geo needs re-checking!

there is another way - you can compress the spring whilst on the car then u dont have to touch the adjuster bolt - a bit more work but save the geo check.

• 1 month later...

The rear trailing arm bushes are a common fault on the e36 and the symptoms of failure are exactly what you've described. It's maybe too much of a coincidence that you notice it now just after having new dampers fitted though...

sorry i havent posted any earlier coud'nt find my own thread! its now all been sorted it was the geometry! it was out by miles! now they got the geometry correct its all fine now!! thanks everyone for your suggestions!

sorry i havent posted any earlier coud'nt find my own thread! its now all been sorted it was the geometry! it was out by miles! now they got the geometry correct its all fine now!! thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Good news indeed....... Permission for me to wobble head' :D

Did they sort it out for free btw?

J

yes it was free only took em couple of hours to do! was well pleased after it was complete felt really different! (in good way) :D

I'm sorry, I have a similar problem... What do you mean the geometry?

At the exit road from my workplace, there's a bumpy area... When drive over it, the back of the car starts swinging from side to side, like a 'see-saw'. Is that what you mean?

While I'd expect bumpiness, this is totally different and a bit unnerving.

J

yes it was free only took em couple of hours to do! was well pleased after it was complete felt really different! (in good way) :D

At the exit road from my workplace, there's a bumpy area... When drive over it, the back of the car starts swinging from side to side, like a 'see-saw'. Is that what you mean?

Geometry is the wheels positions relative to the active suspension dynamics. The IS200/300 has an adjustable chassis to correct/ maintain the wheels positions. If they are wrong then the handling or tyre wear will be impaired.

J

Geometry is the wheels positions relative to the active suspension dynamics. The IS200/300 has an adjustable chassis to correct/ maintain the wheels positions. If they are wrong then the handling or tyre wear will be impaired.

So will alignment on one of those machines solve the problem? Since you're the guru by the way, do the Altezza (SXE) and the IS (GXE) have the exact same alignment settings?