Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Possibly Bye Bye Time On Is300...

am i stark staring bonkers or wot?! :blush: :D

our prized beauty will be 4 years old come the end of this June & our thoughts have turned to perhaps getting something new...

i feel quite sad even typing that :crybaby: , whatever the 'new' one is, i've got to fall in love very deeply to be parted from my beloved IS300 :blush:

we seem to be heading down the route of a drop top for some reason, mid-life crisis anyone?! :P

he's mentioned the likes of Aston Martin & Jaguar XK - i've laughed at him! :lol: (i too would love an XK, but let's be sensible eh?!).

i think a budget of up to £35k, preferably 4 seater, has got to be an auto (so i can still drive it when my back is dodgy, otherwise, i'm stuffed!). ideally we'd want at least the same performance as the IS300, but a little less would be ok. as depreciation scares me rigid - i wouldn't be averse to a demo or perhaps up to a year old.

so, nothing along these lines seems to be on the horizon from Lexus so we're looking elsewhere...

Audi A4 - doesn't seem to be that highly rated from what i've read. pricey, expensive to run & not very exciting were a few things mentioned.

Merc - i have no idea. never really been my 'thing' & some recent horror stories of poor build quality etc.

& then good ol' BM - which i swore many decades ago that i'd never have! :tomato: BUT, the new convertible really does seem very, very good...

thoughts, comments & suggestions all gratefully received from you guys :D

Abbie

x

Sorry cant help you as the only thing on my mind at the mo is buying an IS never mind getting rid of one. Got blinkers on to most other cars these days!

Anyways, the question was....how mush are you selling your little brum for and what is its spec n all that?

Cheers me dears

that was 'much'

mate i know youre lookin at the old convertible,but check out the 335i coupe,its awesome,my bro in law just got one and it goes like stink,sticks with me in the M3 all the way till 70.Its turbo'd.Im sure there is a conv version also but ive yet to see one.

You can't sell the Lex until we get you along to a meet :P

Have to admit those 335's are well tasty - what happened at 70 though Raj, which one was quicker then?

Have to admit the more I see the new Beemers the more I like them, well I liked the 5 & 7's but the 3's are starting to grow on me, I've seen a couple of 335's in Derby and they really look nice!

I used to have a convertible, they're great in the summer, and it looks like that time may be on us already (fingers crossed!!!)

i realise that this may be totally stupid ida but ever thought of just buying a weekend convertable . and would like to throw out the suggestion of the mx5 as its one hell of a cracker .

keep the 300 imo

I don't think £35k will even get you a bog standard 335i convertible will it? I agree they seem awesome, but far too expensive........

3 series is an easy choice, hardtop convertible has got to be good - although how reliable is it going to be seeing as its a BMW?

the 335i coupe(not convertible)will get you a 56 plate with nav,auto box,phone etc,around 5k on the clock,very sexy car for £35k

aido after 70mph i pulled forward by two car lengths,not alot really but enough to **** my bro in law off,.the car weighs 1620kg and knocks out 306hp@5800rpm/295 lb-ft @1300rpm .the m3 has 343hp@7900rpm/ 270 lb-ft@4000rpm,the m3 does the 1/4 mile in 12.8-13 secs the 335i does it in 13.5-13.7 secs and so are matched really.the m3 is alot harder work to go fast whereas the 335i is easy to drive and is fast with it,im getting one as soon as funds allow.

Seems like an awesome machine, but as its similarly priced, its understandable that its on par with the existing M3 - makes you wonder what the new M3 will be like, and its price tag :sick:

Is there much turbo lag on the 335?

there didnt seem to be any lag when i drove it,twin turbo just seems like endless easy acceleration,its quite annoying as i thought the car wouldnt be that fast in comparison to the present M3,but it is.The new M3 is starting at £48k and with fully loaded approx £55k and will have 430hp@7000rpm and 330lb-ft@5000rpm and has been designed to be quicker than rs4 by approx 0.2 secs on both the 0-60 times and on the quarter mile,but it will probably just be on par.Its gonna be 4.2 litre V8,a little heavier than the e46 M3,but its gonna kick its arse in every way.Most people i speak to on the bm3w forum which is unfortunately down at the moment,have an order,first will be available in June to press etc and i beleive first orders will be released to customers around July/August.Thats why im gonna try and rid myself of the old e46 shape before that happens,hopefully will get an xtra grand or two by selling up next month rather than when it hits the shelf.The new M3 is gonna be awesome.

here's an arse view

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/secret_new_ca...=363&page=1

i don't know how much i'd be looking for on ours yet as we've only just thought about it...sorry! :)

erm, boys - unless i'm getting the wrong info on the beemer website :duh: - the NEW 325SE convertible (which is equal/above power on the IS300) starts at £33,080. add leather, metallic & auto = £36,470. so just about where i could be looking, at a teeny stretch... :shifty:

thats correct,but i dont know how many you will find, convertible that is that are on the market as they are relatively new.I may be wrong though.although there seems to be loads of the 335i's available.

i don't know how much i'd be looking for on ours yet as we've only just thought about it...sorry! :)

erm, boys - unless i'm getting the wrong info on the beemer website :duh: - the NEW 325SE convertible (which is equal/above power on the IS300) starts at £33,080. add leather, metallic & auto = £36,470. so just about where i could be looking, at a teeny stretch... :shifty:

You've gotta go for the 335, seems like a proper beast :P

But I'm sure the 325 will be all you'll need........is there still a 330? Curious that there are so many 335s about, can't imagine its that popular in the range - will that hurt residuals?

One other thing, why does 306hp seem to be a magic number at the mo - IS350 has 306hp, 335 has 306hp and was reading the Infiniti G35 (or 37, can't remember) is also going to have 306hp.

Seems odd that different manufacturers with different engines are all getting to exactly the same hp figure..... :blink:

Might not be a good time to be buying a rag top (spring an all that), but...if you could stretch to buying slightly used, I reckon you could get a cracking new shape Merc SL...now they are fantastic...only Merc I would ever buy! There's a 350SL, silver one for sale at Stratstone MB for less than £35k - check out auto trader!!

They are a tad tight in the back, but you won't lose too much cash on one

The American boys are fiddling with the 335's as well and getting some astounding results from just the result of an ECU upgrade - think one I saw was claiming triple digit gains :o

ive heard the same thing aido and cos its turbo'd the cars can whack up the bhp figure stupidly,but having said that the 535d can have a few mods done too and can easily hit 355hp with approx the same lb-ft torque.which makes it a serious machine.sorry geez we have hijacked your thread,you just want a new shape 325i convertible and probably dont wanna fiddle with it.Good luck with the search but i still think you will find it difficult to find a used one,especially for a few months as its just come out and its not a fuel guzzler which definetely makes it a keeper in comparison to the 335i's which arent.

i realise that this may be totally stupid ida but ever thought of just buying a weekend convertable . and would like to throw out the suggestion of the mx5 as its one hell of a cracker .

keep the 300 imo

sorry, :blush: i lost you in amongst all the pant wetting going on about the 335 :shifty: - weekend car sounds a nice idea, but wouldn't really suit us. we did try an MX5 a while ago, it wasn't really us either! ;)

just found this one,its about 6th down the list,there doesnt seem to be any others below the £40k mark

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_...ransmissionid=0

now my thread is back on track Rsarin... :whistling: :P

thanks for that. i did have a look on the main BM site & there was 1 new convertible that must have been a demo. i thought they normally kept the demo's 3 or 6 months?

i really don't know what to do - Jamboo, i agree now isn't the time for a cabrio unless i don't mind paying top whack, silly idea! :winky: . i will look at Merc later, are they hard tops tho? i think this is one of the reasons i'd discounted them earlier.

the way i feel at the moment, i'll probably still be driving the 300 this time NEXT year! :duh:

keep the IS300 imho convertibles are massively overrated, theyre heavy noisy with the roof down and just how often can you have the roof down anyway in Britain? ;)

I loved my convertible - Abbie is in a great place for one too, there are some lovely country roads around Derby for using one!

A friend just sold his M3 convertible today for £16,500 - it was snapped up the day after he advertised it!

Think it was the guys at BMW in Chesterfield who put them in touch - not sure of their name though - maybe Sytner's? Maybe worth giving them a tinkle to see what they've got in?