Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Mapping & Chipping

PiratePete

Hi guys,

After 8 years of driving a goddawful car, which I am even too embrassed to tell you the make and model of, I picked up an immaculate IS200 Sport Navigator year 2000. Can I just say you guys are on the button, this car is superb to drive with a nice turn of speed and just the luxury I deserve. In fact I just took it down to Kent to see a friend of mine and came back relaxed and happy, which is a first for me driving a long distance. :)

A friend of mine bought a Golf recently and was telling me about having his engine remapped and all the benefits of it. Now although I am an engineer in the Auto trade I don't know much about this so would like to ask a few questions.

1. Can I get the standard ECU remapped on this car? I've spoken to a couple of companies with responses such as "Wouldn't touch it", but couldn't get a clear reason why. If I can can you recommend a good place in the Midlands I can get it done.

2. I understand that I should be able to get a remap that would increase the performance and get better fuel economy. Is that right? I understand a software engineer comes reprograms the ECU for you?

3. The other option is to get it chipped. What sort of chip would I need to go for? How much would it cost? and again any good places you can recommend? Would chipping affect my insurance massively?

Basically I wouldn't mind keeping the performance the same but making it a bit better on fuel economy, however a bit of added performance is not to be sniffed at eh guys?

Anyway in return for any info I will answer any questions about modding headlights as I worked for Hella/Koito for a long time and saw a post here on the forum about getting the mastic loose to separate the lens from the housing. I did this most weeks for 5 years so heres the gen.

Best advice get the lamp in an oven (preferably recirculating not direct heat) at about 120 degrees BUT ONLY 10-15 minutes and make sure the cluster is not resting on the lens! The polyprop housing will only survive short term and the PC lens will warp if you leave it too long. The mastic goes thin at about 80 or 90 degrees, undo ther mechanical clips with a screwdriver then use a flatehead screwdriver under the lens to lever it off. If you are unsure about the oven then check the lamp every 5 mins, when it is just too hot to touch take it out and get the lens off if you can, if the mastic is still too hard put it back in the oven for a few minutes. Don't use a chemical the remove the mastic as you will most likely get it on the vac metalised surfaces and mark them, I'm afraid that is just hard work with a knife, and best left until the lamp is cold again.

There you go already contributed something to the forum before I even got my post answered :)

Any help would be greatly appreciated

PiratePete

Welcome to LOC, glad your enjoying the car :)

That standard ECU can not be remapped. It can be chipped but weighing up the cost against performance/fuel econ gains its not really worth it. If you are interested in chipping then I think it was a Bluefin unit that a member on here used.

They only advice would be to lighten your left foot :)

Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Cheers fella, at least someone replied which is a first on most forums ;)

Its a shame as I was hoping for a bit of a 'free lunch' hehe, surely there must be some way to get a bit more oomph and make it a bit cheaper to run? How did you guys start out modding your cars?

Mind you my wife is trying to get me to shut the PC down cos I was just looking at the 'Angel Eyes mod' thread, and 'The monster' thread.

mmmm.....thinks........ :D

Its a shame as I was hoping for a bit of a 'free lunch' hehe, surely there must be some way to get a bit more oomph and make it a bit cheaper to run? How did you guys start out modding your cars?

how?

well I guess lots of people just follow the same path: exhaust, some sort of induction kit/air filter, some electronics to make it look like a pro, then sooner or later you end up considering to sell something in yr house just to get the money for the supercharger... well at least that's where I'm at themoment :D

Welcome to the LOC btw mate :) You're gonna end up in trouble if you end up with the "addiction" :D

J

Oh noes. So If I already built and modded hi spec PC's with water cooler kits and such like then this may possibly be the most dangerous website I could go to..........

So back on topic, even if I got a piggyback ECU, just to allow the engine to be remapped would I be able to get a program that could leave the performance as it was and get better fuel economy, possibly letting me increase performance at a later date or is it all just 'hot air' unless i get an FI kit (hehehe I made a modding joke)

Cheers fella, at least someone replied which is a first on most forums ;)

And within 5 minutes :)

I started off with a K&N panel filter, then lowering springs, bodykit, then supercharger and a load of other mods along the way, too many to bore you with. Just click the Registry button at the bottom of this post

Mind you my wife is trying to get me to shut the PC down cos I was just looking at the 'Angel Eyes mod' thread, and 'The monster' thread.

I have the angel eyes ready to go in, still in 2 minds though, cheers for the advice about opening up the lights, this will be Easter weekends task :)

Well I thought I would get a more detailed answer if I offered help in my field of expertise :)

Having read a few more threads I have to ask, whats a camcon, would this be any good for my unmodded IS200.

As I said before I know eff all but wanna learn.

Hi Pirate pete and welcome to the LOC, you shouldn't be surprised that people replied on your thread everyone is really helpful and friendly on here and sure you'll find all the help you need. :D

As for the modding i'd just sell something in your house and get a supercharger!! If you've got any kids or pets trying ebaying them you'll get a good price :lol:

Only joking, hope you get everything sorted chap and don't forget to get some pics up soon as B)

Hay Pete,

A Camcom is a device that adjusts the cam timining on the VVTi. I belive some people have had moderate returns on a n/a unmodified car.

I think it can be used to make the car more tourqey (sp) lower down.. but dont take that as gospel.

Have a search for camcon, see what you can dig up, im sure someone with more knowlage will be along shortly to tell me to be quiet, and explain it proply :D