Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Art Of Haggling

javaboss

Hi Guys,

Okay, it's looking more and more likely that I shall be looking to purchase a new IS200 this weekend. The valuation should be sorted with the insurance chap on Friday, so I will be heading down to Lexus Hadleigh on Saturday.

Here what I plan to buy:

1 x IS200 SE auto (strathcaron blue with Oakham) - £21,460 (+ met paint £375)

1 x Parking sensors - £304.95

1 x Carpet maps - £83.95

1 x Front + rear allow scuff plates - £167.90

1 x Chrome tail pipe finisher - £44.95

That's £601.75 worth of options.

That comes to a grand total of £22,436.75

So, what's the most anyone has haggled of the price of their IS200 then? :ph34r:

All tips appreciated! :D

You should get the mats etc free, could ask for the sensors free if you are very lucky they might.

Accessories are easy to hide in the books so to speak (what Brighton said anyhow) but labour for sensors was not!

I got about 200 or so off price plus boot liner for free, which is about £120!

Good luck anyway, which I was in a position like you, must be fun buying it new etc. Mine was just over a year old.

I believe 3 5 is the Fllet discount .... so wotk that out on the basic car price ( without car tax and VAT ) and that should give you something to aim at as you will have no part exchange.

I reckon in my head it will be £550 - £600.

I believe 3 5 is the Fllet discount .... so wotk that out on the basic car price ( without car tax and VAT ) and that should give you something to aim at as you will have no part exchange.

I reckon in my head it will be £550 - £600.

Do you mean 3.5% or 3%-5%??

I managed to get a 2.5% discount with the first IS200 I purchased. I was planning on going in low at 21k (£22,436 with options - so £1400 off!) and watch him choke! We'll then meet somewhere in the middle around £600 off!

Basically, I want all the extras free. It's £600 worth, and I'm damn sure it doesn't cost the dealer that!

Do you think I should tell him I want certain options or just haggle on price for the car first and then bring the options into the equation?

I just thought of something else! This will be the third car I have purchased from Lexus Hadleigh - and the same salesman. Surely, they must be looking to ensure that I come back in another 2-3 years? I'm sure that I would be looking at the new IS200 that comes out in 2005!

I not going to tell you how much I'm paying for my new IS200SE in red with Sat Nav   :D  :D

You work for Lexus don't you Chris?

Am I 'out of order' wanting a discount from £22,436 to £21,000? This will be the 3rd car I've purchased from Hadleigh since September 2000 after all!

Tha What Car 'Target Price' for the IS200 SE model is £19449 plus auto box an extra £1230 and metallic £375.

Once agreed I would attempt to seal the deal with the mats and exhaust end thrown in free.

What Car have a 'price promise' that if a dealer does not agree the target price phone them on 0845 123 2620 on their hot line and they will put you in touch with a dealer who will.

Good luck.

Java - sorry should have said 3% .... finger trouble & it was Fleet discount.

As with anything to do with paying ... always go in low and prepare to settle somewhere in the middle if you have to. Just talk car price first ..... then haggle additionally over extras .... ask for carpets fror free as it will help them .... when you go for your 4th IS200.

I have only negotiated my price on car .... will do extras when I order them.

Anybody tried the Supaguard Protection ... paint, leather, carpets, interior trim. £299 + vat plus I think you can protect the wheens to for extra. I was going to try and negotiate on this too before delivery if it's any good.

Anybody tried the Supaguard Protection ... paint, leather, carpets, interior trim. £299 + vat plus I think you can protect the wheens to for extra. I was going to try and negotiate on this too before delivery if it's any good.

I paid for the Supaguard treatment when mine was new last April (similar figure from what I can remember). To be honest, now it's nearly a year old I'm not entirely convinced, although I haven't put any polish on it yet which can't be bad.

Admitedly it doesn't bead the water as if it's just been polished but there is clearly wax there. Most noticable for me was how easily the wheels clean. Just a sponge of soapy water is fine. (Wheel treatment is included).

Rick.

I was not impressed with the Supaguard treatment on my paintwork. It is supposed to prevent bird droppings from attacking the paint, failed on this count. Droppings only on there for 2 hours max, had to work hard to remove marks. Paint work on bonnet area very dull after washing until started using Meguairs products.

So IMO not worth it on the paintwork, can't comment on the interior treatment really. But I clean my seats & treat leather regular so they still look like new.

Okay, I can understand that you can't give away trade secrets!

I'm going to go in at 21k and see where I get to! :D

I'll keep you all posted of course!

Don't forget to check the likes of Trade-Sales and Motorpoint.

They often have IS200 stock around the 18-19k mark.

At the end of the day, if you're after a good deal ....

you're looking in the wrong country for starters !!

Thanks for the advice. I know they're always more expensive in this country! However, I'm prepared to pay for the main dealer backup. I'm just not going to pay list! I'm going down to Lexus Hadleigh on Friday and I know exactly what I want to pay. If the dealer can match it I'll buy a new car from them. If not, it's off down to the dealer that made me a fantastic offer!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links