Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

How Does The Is Hold Up To A Heavy Impact And Are All Those Airbags Us

well this afternoon on a saunter back from the gym i happened to find out , unfortunately vitim to a drunk driver who swerved across the road into the whole drivers side of the car finally ripping the rear wheel and wishbones completely off

its twisted the chassis and the boot floor isn't pretty ,and all things point to a write off , however so many bags deployed it was like sitting in a bouncy castle , and i can saftley say the car stood up well and we were both fine if a little shaken ...........

tomorrow i'll take a couple of pick to show what it looks like but the audi with the nice drunk polish pilot :tsktsk: looked a very sorry state ......

thank *** they are only pieces of metal.

and nice to see the police do a stirling job ,taking all manor of witness statements and using the cuffs for once at the scene of an accident.

:

well this afternoon on a saunter back from the gym i happened to find out , unfortunately vitim to a drunk driver who swerved across the road into the whole drivers side of the car finally ripping the rear wheel and wishbones completely off

its twisted the chassis and the boot floor isn't pretty ,and all things point to a write off , however so many bags deployed it was like sitting in a bouncy castle , and i can saftley say the car stood up well and we were both fine if a little shaken ...........

tomorrow i'll take a couple of pick to show what it looks like but the audi with the nice drunk polish pilot :tsktsk: looked a very sorry state ......

and nice to see the police do a stirling job ,taking all manor of witness statements and using the cuffs for once at the scene of an accident.

:

I am pleased to hear that you are OK Harv and that the safety gear worked well - it isn't the kind of test that you would volunteer for is it?

:

I am pleased to hear that you are OK Harv and that the safety gear worked well - it isn't the kind of test that you would volunteer for is it?

tbh from many shunts over the years in motorsport ,and for that matter on the road , this is the first that has come from knowhere and surprised me.

Thank *** you're OK...it's only a car

yeah the trouble is i was looking foward to next weeks 10k service and remap ....... however it looks like i'll be after a new one now .

Woah glad you're ok. Nice to know those airbags do work when needed. Sounds like one of those "guess the number of balloons in the car" competitions.

ok this morning we got it on a chassis trolly and moved it into the workshop for a look see .

things that we can obviously see

shell kinked

boot floor damaged

side damage

rear subframe bent

3 damaged alloys

boot not sitting straight

n/s chassis rear leg twisted

diff knackered where driveshaft ripped out

complete o/s suspension ripped out

amp in boot bent and damaged

however all 4 doors open and close

exhast crushed (rear box)

and a few pics of those bits ........ we also realise where the other car first touched mine which was near the front wheelarch ..... another couple of inches and i might not be typing right now.

Harvsport lexus damage pics

Always nice when you can walk away from a bang... :)

Hope the other guy has insurance as the cost of replacing all those air bags and the seatbelts on top of the exterior damage will add up up to a pricey sum....

Is it less than a year old? as some insurance companies allow you a new car in these cases.... repaired car is never the same

wouldn't think it's a write off though....imho

already been told the opinion is it needs a shell , and its less than a year old , i know the bodyshop well as the guy that owns it i know and did the carbon work on my race car .... there is at least 50% of the value in damage just at a cursery glance .....

Poor car is well and truely clucked!

I used to work in a body shop years back (only for a while) and went to loads of Auto Slavage places up and down the country. It's hard to imagine another car causing that sort of damage, but no two knocks are the same! I've seen loads of sports cars damaged like that where the car has slammed into a high curb aftr a spin - the suspension takes the full force and knocks the chassis out as the force dissipates!

Cars with this sort of damage were considered for re-shelling by my gaffer only if they were prestige marques - porsches, ferraris, classic cars etc. Else it's not worth it - so I reckon it'll get WO. My gaffer did this at quieter times, and then sold them as Salvage repaired cars - but he was picky as it was so hard to sell them and so hardly ever actually bought one!!

It's not just the parts/paint - think of the hours of labour that will be quoted. I haven't been to a bodyshop for a while, but even at a tight stretch there's a fortnights work for 2 professional coachbuilders, working mad hours, and at todays prices that'll be well over £100 p/h. There's a chance that an average local bodyshop won't even want to touch it, so that'll mean even more exorbitant cost/estimates to make the assessor look elsewhere!

So that's approx £10k for labour alone I reckon...£000's for a new shell, new suspension arms etc, so probably £20k minimum.

The car has been recorded and I suspect the value be hit hard even if re-built.

The final blower is that the car's warranty could be severely impacted - if they insist on a re-build, fight it - and if you cannot win the argument then make a Lexus bodyshop do it! It might mean that your mate won't get the job, but it's in your interests.

who's your insurance with?

when i was rear ended i was with lexus insurance so the car went to a lexus bodyshop, i also got a brand new hire car delivered to my door which was charged at around £250 per day to the other parties insurance

cheers guys ..... as for bodyshops jamoo ,he's one of 5 bently aproved repairers in the country , so even a step above a lexus bodyshop .... they are also BMW approved and that and the bentley work keeps them more than busy . , they started doing that when the tyrell F1 team passed away as they were their paint shop ,so it a little bit of a special place , they do restoration work as well and are currently doing an original works alloy bodied MGB rally car , 2 of which mark who owns it rallies himself .

As for hire cars , well how about a brand new Bspec 3.0 turbo flat 6 Legacy , twas that or a merc ,and to make matters worse i can get the same mpg i was getting out of a dam lexus dismal (until i start yomping away from the lights :) )

lets see what happens in the future to this and how long i have to wait for another one.

Agreed Jamboo , and tbh both me and him would rather thats where its goes , resale does not matter to me as this is a lease car , however if its writen off then i won't get another one as the lease deal we had has changed , i tend to look at the lease specials at the time ......

so its see what specials they have or its a car off the list , and that looks like either a 520d se or audi are doing a nice deal on the sline special editions at the moment with full leather and rs4 style wheels and dvd sat nav for just another 500 quid on top of that ... . tbh dispite the econom moans , which for a diesel really are shocking , i loved the lexus , the audi has crap attitude dealers , and tbh the 5 is a little to big ..... so i'll just have to see whats there .... maybe i'll go for something small again.. who knows.