Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Losintg Pickup When Accelerating....?

Sacred

Hi

I have a 1999 Altezza RS200, bought it about 2 months ago and it has about 65,000 miles on the clock.

The problem I have is that it doesnt seem to pickup as quickly as it used to, leaving me revving with delayed or weaker response.

Instead of getting good acceleration and a little jump at around 5000rpm I seem to hit a flat spot just before that where the car just doesnt push through.

This is of course when racing the car flat out, which I have been doing a little too much of and revving it quite high. Since having the problem I have stopped however.

I don't want to mess anything up, as I've been told that if it is the cambelt thats gone it can nacker the engine quite quickly.

I also have a bit of a russly/gargling sound from the exhaust which seems to have gotten worse. The exhaust is still quite deep, but gives of a more crackly sound than I remember...

I will be having it serviced next week and as advised to me will be getting a new cam belt put in. (which I was told should be done at about 60k)

I just wanted to know if anyone has had a similar problem, and might know what it could be to do with...

Is it the ECU timing? The Timing belt?

I had a Gen 7 Celica before that had VVT and had a kickdown when the valves opened at 6,200rpm-ish...I assumed this was what the RS200 engine did too?

Any help would be really appreciated...I'm just a little wary about driving the car now as I don't want to damage it further...One thing is for sure, if it does get sorted then I will be treating it a lot more delicately.

fuel pump maybe

I had a prob with mine about a year ago had a dip in power at about 4500rpm and when the car was put on a rolling road the car was running lean due to the fuel pump not getting enough fuel through

maybe worth a shot

Thanks, I'll mention it when I take it in and get them to have a look at it...

Robin, can I ask you where you got all your bits for your tezza? Would like to take my car that way at some point and would like to know how to do so...

most of my parts mechanical parts I've got 2nd hand through members on the LOC

TDI and Prolex can get parts for you or you can always get them from overseas

the Irish boys on Tezzaworld.com have a few good places to get parts from ask for some links over there ;)

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Did you manage to get this flat spot problem fixed?

I have a similar problem with mine, when it reaches 5000rpm it hits a very slight flat spot for a second or so and then pushes past it and is fine, god its like a rocket after 6000rpm :)

Its a minor annoyance, but if i can get it fixed then i will do...

Cheers :)

Hi,

I have a similar problem with mine, when it reaches 5000rpm it hits a very slight flat spot for a second or so and then pushes past it and is fine, god its like a rocket after 6000rpm :)

Sounds to me like a dirty MAF sensor. I had this issue about a year ago. CRC make a MAF sensor cleaner. @ screws to remove it, and a good spray with the cleaner should see you right if that is the problem

Hi,

Sounds to me like a dirty MAF sensor. I had this issue about a year ago. CRC make a MAF sensor cleaner. @ screws to remove it, and a good spray with the cleaner should see you right if that is the problem

soory to jump in but i was told that the is200 did not have a MAF sensor or was it you would never need to replace it :whistling:

Mine is doing the sampe too.. so would be intersted if there was a MAF sensor scleaner out there then can you please link the site mate?

Cheers

Dibs

Hi,

do you have a link to the site perhaps i will give it a shot too, if it works? :question::whistling:

Cheers

Dibslpg

Hi,

soory to jump in but i was told that the is200 did not have a MAF sensor or was it you would never need to replace it :whistling:

Mine is doing the sampe too.. so would be intersted if there was a MAF sensor scleaner out there then can you please link the site mate?

Cheers

Dibs

True enough, the 1GFE doesn't have a MAF sensor, it has a MAP sensor. The 3SGE in the Altezza has a Maf sensor though.

Maf sensor cleaner at CRC Don't know where to suggest in the UK, but most Auto accessory outlets sell it here in NZ.

And a How to can be found HERE

• 2 weeks later...

I got some of that CRC sensor cleaner :)

I took out the sensor and i couldn't even see the little wires they were that dirty, a few squirts with the cleaner and they were gleaming...

WHAT A DIFFERENCE ;)

It really is like ive just installed a turbo compared to before..... As soon as i hit 4500rpm - 5000rpm theres no flat spot anymore and my god does it fly :ohmy:

Loving it B)

Thanks for the advice :)