Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Supercharger Vs Turbocharger Debate

I posted this over on TezzaWorld but i thought i would stick it up here too, to try and get some advice!

So i have been doing a lot of research this week about adding some extra grunt to my Altezza and have been thinking more about going down the s/c route. The Blitz compressor system works out at 2600 Euro delivered excluding intercooler(still awaiting price from Nengun). But i think ill need to upgrade the clutch and ECU too, to get the most out of it. It seems like the easiest most reliable option, maybe not the most powerful one

As for turbo's i was looking at the Trust - Greddy - Turbo Kit - Bolt On, which is about 1600 Euro from Nengun but i think this is without some essentials such as intercooler, ecu and blow off valve. so add all those in for about another grand.

And then thinkning about getting these mods insured! You can a

call a supercharger a compressor system, but only one thing u can call turbo!

So im really just looking for the easiest cheapest way to add a bit more power and still keep the car relatively affordable to run and easy to drive.

I'm sure the insurance company will know that a compressor is a supercharger. Best thing is to phone around the insurance companys for various quotes on both systems. Then have a look at Mr Singh's threads on his Blitz supercharger and have a look at Zee's on his Trust / Greddy turbo kit.

Is there not a couple of the Irish lads on here already with F/I on their tezza?

Is there not a couple of the Irish lads on here already with F/I on their tezza?

All of them afaik are buying RS200's with the turbo's already fitted in japan.... Elexes is the only one actually fitting one afterwards..... :winky:

He's probably the only one to tell his Insurance company as well.... :lol:

I'm sure the insurance company will know that a compressor is a supercharger. Best thing is to phone around the insurance companys for various quotes on both systems. Then have a look at Mr Singh's threads on his Blitz supercharger and have a look at Zee's on his Trust / Greddy turbo kit.

unfortunately in Ireland most companies wont insure either and are pretty clueless when it comes to mods! only 2 companies im aware of that do. I was told by Elexes that is getting his turbo'ed that you have to phrase your mods correctly! ie " a bit on my engine broke and i they are no longer producin the factory part needed so i had to replace it twith a turbo system!" I tried the same company and they told me they are no longer insuring high performance cars!

Insurance isnt the biggest problem though. Had a read through both guys threads but they seem to e going for mad power figures. All i want is a kit thats reliable, easy to fit and adds some much need low end torque and doesnt require any internal engine mods or expensive transmission mods

Maybe an s/c might be the way foward then? As you wouldn't need to change the manifold etc.. But I dont really know about the 3S GE engine.

How about just fitting a free flowing exhaust system and something like a Camcon? It'll give you a bit more oomph, wouldn't be too hard to install, not many parts and should keep insurance down too.

Maybe an s/c might be the way foward then? As you wouldn't need to change the manifold etc.. But I dont really know about the 3S GE engine.

How about just fitting a free flowing exhaust system and something like a Camcon? It'll give you a bit more oomph, wouldn't be too hard to install, not many parts and should keep insurance down too.

By the time you bought and got all those parts fitted and tuned in properly over here u wouldnt be far off the price of the Blitz s/c kit. Not too may tuning places over hear would know what to do with a camcon! The place i got my car dynoe'd advised against the camcon. He said he wouldnt want to go messing with the VVti setting etc, so im sure it would take them a lot of dyno hours to sort it properly.

He's probably the only one to tell his Insurance company as well.... :lol:

im sure there going to rape me im not sure when they will or where but i know there will be no time for lube so i carry pain killers instead

Change the final drive Dan

it's a mod that can be done, a requires no tuning and the insurance would never need to know ;) unless there gonna start taking it apart if you do have an accident

IMO you would have to change the clutch on your tezza as well and you may as well do your flywheel at the same time

It's never ending once you start :lol:

It's never ending once you start :lol:

Very true.

Decide what you really want and are after then plan everything out that you need. Then go from there. It'll save you money in the end if you plan ahead first :winky:

How much more power are you after?

How much more power are you after?

Not lookin for buckets loads of power like urs Adie just enough to surprise most evo and scooby owners!! so about the 300 bhp would do me nicely i think. would like to have the sound of a s/c or dump value under the bonnet and have the power to back it up( not just an electronic device that sounds like i have one --> imyruff!)