Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clicking From Drivers Side Front Wheel

I recently got a new tire on my passenger side front wheel. Today I noticed clicking when I took a left turn. The clicking was from the drivers side wheel I think.

Any ideas what it could be from. No clicking when do right turns.

I had a look and couldnt see anything that would catch the wheel.

Help?

from what i can see it is the tie rod end from the steering rack - AFAIK it is a complete assembly and the ball joint cant be replaced on its own - but i may be wrong.

you will need to see if the joint has worn due to any dirt etc getting in there i suspect it has as u say u have clicking which normally indicates a worn component. If it isnt then u should be able to get another rubber boot on its own.

if u do it yourself try and get a ball joint tool if not and u hit it with a hammer at least make sure that there is a nut on the end of the trhead - DO NOT hit the threaded section on its own or you wont get the nut back on.

EDIT: just had another look at the pics it looks like the retaining clip for the boot has come off thats maybe why it looks wet as the lubricant has come out

well its not the "main" ball joint so I cant give u an honest answer , but on the IS ( i suspect the assy is the same) the main ball joints tend to last anywhere from 60 - 90 K or longer... all depnds on the life the car has had i suppose.

The ball joints on the track rods ends will be the same, all depends how car is driven.

if the rubber boot has split or come off that can happen after a few years

well its not the "main" ball joint so I cant give u an honest answer , but on the IS ( i suspect the assy is the same) the main ball joints tend to last anywhere from 60 - 90 K or longer... all depnds on the life the car has had i suppose.

The ball joints on the track rods ends will be the same, all depends how car is driven.

The Car had the Ball Joint LWR and Control Arms replaced less than a year ago.

Would this have been changed at the same time?

Cheers

The Car had the Ball Joint LWR and Control Arms replaced less than a year ago.

Would this have been changed at the same time?

Cheers

Would these replace this item?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...mMakeTrack=true

Would this have been replace when the ball joint and control arm was replaced?

Or can i just replace the rubber?

Ahhhh I just got this problem too on my front drivers wheel.

Initially thought it was something (piece of wire or something) hitting the spokes.

Only happens when I turn right more then one full turn of the wheel though...

Might check mine tomorrow and see if its the same bush

Ahhhh I just got this problem too on my front drivers wheel.

Initially thought it was something (piece of wire or something) hitting the spokes.

Only happens when I turn right more then one full turn of the wheel though...

Might check mine tomorrow and see if its the same bush

You have just described Exactly the same noise that I got.

I sprayed a load a grease onto the joint. Stopped the noise. Should protect it for the time being.

Got my car booked in. I just hope it doesnt cost the earth.

On front wheel drive cars that clicking is usually the "CV" joint....

The GS300 is a rear wheel drive

from what i can see it is the tie rod end from the steering rack - AFAIK it is a complete assembly and the ball joint cant be replaced on its own - but i may be wrong.

you will need to see if the joint has worn due to any dirt etc getting in there i suspect it has as u say u have clicking which normally indicates a worn component. If it isnt then u should be able to get another rubber boot on its own.

if u do it yourself try and get a ball joint tool if not and u hit it with a hammer at least make sure that there is a nut on the end of the trhead - DO NOT hit the threaded section on its own or you wont get the nut back on.

EDIT: just had another look at the pics it looks like the retaining clip for the boot has come off thats maybe why it looks wet as the lubricant has come out

Would it be diffiecult to fit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1

And how long would it take? Any special tools needed?

Does anyone have step by step guide to changing the part/parts?

YOU - need to decide if these are the correct parts to cure your problem - but if you decide to replace them no special tools are needed, as i said it would be nice to have a ball joint splitter but it is not really required - u can use a hammer and a block on the other side if rewuired - remember what i said about the nut though!

measure the number of threads that are showing on the rod, and assuming the new parts are the correct ones and of the same size just wind them on until u have same number of threads then they will be in the same position as the old ones

YOU - need to decide if these are the correct parts to cure your problem - but if you decide to replace them no special tools are needed, as i said it would be nice to have a ball joint splitter but it is not really required - u can use a hammer and a block on the other side if rewuired - remember what i said about the nut though!

measure the number of threads that are showing on the rod, and assuming the new parts are the correct ones and of the same size just wind them on until u have same number of threads then they will be in the same position as the old ones

It looks like the correct part.

I am confused does the ball joint splitter aid in removing the nut? do I remove the nut first? ??

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links