Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

cleaning the car over easter and in the engine bay( 91 celsior ,stood at front facing the rear),i appear to have a sensor(light grey in colour), of some sort hanging loose near the air con pump,on closer inspection it's broken away from its backing plate on what appears to be a mounting bracket above the air con pump slightly behind and above the belt pulley,it seems to be a self contained object which is now hanging on the only wires attached to it,simple connector with two wires,about the size of your thumb end,no numbers or markings on it unless their on the side thats still fastened to the mounting,looking at the open side of said object,nothings visable only the usual stuff they fill these objects up with,looks like sealer ?? everything still works,no warning lights or anything unusual,but it,s bugging me now,will see if i can get a picture tomorrow when its light,I've taped it up to prevent it getting caught in the belt,but any ideas would be appreciated.cant see anything on my service disc' I'll pass it over to you super sleuths.

yours, Ian

Just had a look on mine and it's located below the top hose can only see one wire on it ( the bracket if metal will be the earth),light grey in colour. If yours has 2 wires one will probably go to an earth point nearby.

Looks like capacitor ( suppressor) designed to eliminate electrical spikes.

On my early cars they used to have them fitted to the alternator/dynamo to prevent interference on the radio.

its def got two wires and doesnt appear to have anything which you could use as an earth point,hence the two wires you mentioned,they go into the harness so its not possible to trace to an earth point,thanks for quick reply,if it is a capacitor,and me been an electrical numpty,is there any point checking for a live feed ???

Normally suppressors use a very short earth path ( hence the use of the metal bracket) otherwise the "noise" is carried on the earth wire.

You could check for 12Volts on the wires ( I would only expect this to be present on one of them) but it may only appear if the item it is connected to is in operation.

I'll try and get a picture of mine tomorrow and then compare findings.

thank's steve, if I,m home in time i'll do the same, damn and blast thats what you get with giving the engine bay a good fettling !! I knew I should have stuck with the exterior,must be too meticulous

I think I've sussed it!

It should be mounted just to the left of the coilpack and according to the wiring diagram it is a "noise limiter" shown as a capacitor in diagram or in my book a suppressor. Probably there to limit back emf ( technical!) from the coil packs.

They may have altered the design from series 1 to series 2 as mine only has one wire into the plug (black/orange according to diagram) the casing being the earth.

Managed a picture but a bit dark down there!!

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e191/ste...718_59_0002.jpg