Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Here I Go Again

Well, 6 monthes ago, I said I would not do anymore modification to the IS as I wanted to get another car. Unfortunately, I have moved to the car modification paradise, UK that is.

Temptation was too strong and as you may have seen on the forum, my car has spent some time at TDi for a little performance improvement.

I finally managed to get some pictures :)

First step : Katana manifold heat wrapped.

tdi_1_1.jpg

tdi_1_2.jpg

tdi_1_16.jpg

tdi_1_17.jpg

tdi_1_18.jpg

The HKS FCON V Pro harness being built :

tdi_1_3.jpg

tdi_1_4.jpg

tdi_1_5.jpg

tdi_1_7.jpg

tdi_1_9.jpg

tdi_1_10.jpg

HKS 500cc injectors

tdi_1_12.jpg

Stage 1 TDi pulley finally removed.

tdi_1_13.jpg

Boost pressure sensor

tdi_1_14.jpg

Intake temperature sensor

tdi_1_15.jpg

Top of the Katana intercooler from the grill

tdi_1_19.jpg

Katana intercooler bracket

tdi_1_20.jpg

In the workshop

tdi_1_6.jpg

tdi_1_8.jpg

tdi_1_11.jpg

HKS FCON V Pro and PE Camcon in the glove box

tdi_2_1.jpg

HKS Silent HiPower, very low :)

tdi_2_2.jpg

Finished

tdi_2_3.jpg

tdi_2_4.jpg

And here is the dyno result

tdi_2_5.jpg

After having driven it for about 600miles, I can say that the car pulls really more. My fuel consumption has dropped a lot, I am really pleased with that.

I think there is still not enough "humpf" so I may get some more work done.

I just can't wait to see w481gcc results to know if I go for the same setup when my wallet has recovered its health :)

That's excellent news mate, really good to see it all, looks fantastic :D

That's interesting about the economy improving, wouldn't that suggest that without all of the fuel upgrade stuff in there the car is running rich all of the time, or is it only at certain points in the rev range it leans out, running extremely rich the rest of the time, which is the cause of the problem?

It all confuses me, so tempted to get an air fuel meter for my car to watch what she's doing as it always worries me that it might lean out!

Looks nice yemgi,

Looking at those figures has it got around about 190bhp at the wheels, how does that compare to the standard power at teh wheels provided by the SC kit..

Or has your upgrades given more tourqe?

Sorry im a bit useless when it comes to engines, so am trying to learn.

Excellent work my man!! Looking great!! Your at about the same stage as me now...I'm gonna go for the new TDi intercooler at some point as well!!

For the fuel consumption, I think it has something to do with a lambda sensor that has been changed.

The figures I had last year were 113.5kW which is about 155.5 hp at the wheels with the 19", it was on a rolling road dyno so the power output may have been lower that it really was

strs_1_13.jpg

Looking good mate, really liking that colour :)

tdi_2_3.jpg

Is this the Katana I/C?

You can't see much of it :blush: Just wondering how it would improve the performance if it can't get anymore cold air than the TTe one. Or is it just the internals that improve it, if so why make it so big.

if a question . this car is french . and from what i rember tuining is illegal in france ?

would that mean that if you drive home for a holiday in theory you could get nicked and car taken off you by the local nothing better to do go out and arrest a real criminal cops ?

also if you know where to get the Tuining is not a crime t-shirts please forward me the link

The pics look ace

is that a nsx in the background and whats the other car ?

Injectors were fitted without upgrading the fuel delivery? Pump, returnline... not necessary?

no, its all done through the V-Pro :winky:

What i think he means is, still using standard fuel pump, as someone :whistling: has said you need to do that too :yawn::whistling:

if a question . this car is french . and from what i rember tuining is illegal in france ?

would that mean that if you drive home for a holiday in theory you could get nicked and car taken off you by the local nothing better to do go out and arrest a real criminal cops ?

also if you know where to get the Tuining is not a crime t-shirts please forward me the link

The pics look ace

is that a nsx in the background and whats the other car ?

Yes the car is french and yes it is illegal in France to modify the engine. Modifying a car is not allowed, but it is not strictly forbidden. The only thing that is illegal is engine modification. I have always have had modded cars and I drove in France for nearly 2 years with the SC, I never had any problem with the police as I am always polite and drives carefully in town. Each time I have been arrested, it was just because they wanted to look at the car :P

For the Tshirts, have a look here ;)

The orange one is a NSX the yellow one is a Diablo

Injectors were fitted without upgrading the fuel delivery? Pump, returnline... not necessary?

yes, only the HKS V Pro to manage them, the car is running rich at the moment so it seems not to be a problem

ahh good to know .

over here i get hassel because of my mods and i dont drive like a loon .. havent gotton much hassel since i send a letter asking for a explination to why i was getting stopped so much

thanks for the link

• 1 year later...

Some news on the car :)

After reading the posts on Dave and Adie's car, I went to SPC Horsham which is conveniently next door to where I leave as I have the same FCON symptoms: non working fuel guauge, car not starting first time, big black smoke when accelerating obviously overfuelling. I know the car was running rich as I asked TDI to map it so it is safe for the engine.

After a chat with Phil and Wayne, we put the car on the dyno to see how it goes.

The results were very interesting indeed, on 3 runs the car produced 196bhp and 160FtLb torque which is almost what I got at the TDI meet last year. Unfortunately there is a catch. The values from TDI are supposedly at the hubs whereas the ones at SPC Horsham are at the flywheel ... They measured the intake pressure, temperature and lambda at the exhaust.

First of all the boost pressure is at 0.25bars not the 0.45 that I have been told it was thanks to the Katana intercooler.

With a boost pressure almost the same as a standard TTE or slightly lower, it is hardly surprising that the car is in fact producing less than a standard supercharged one.

The lambda values showed that the car was running very rich all the way in fact it was richer on the low end than on the top end ...

To say I am gutted is an understatement, I spent £7000 to add parts to my already supercharged IS200 to make it run worse than it was before :tsktsk:

I decided to leave the car to SPC so they can try sort things out.

I just picked it up this evening, it is no longer producing big black smokes, the lambda values are now sensible and it produces 10 more bhp all along the revs. The torque has been increased to a constant 190+ FtLb from 3200 revs. Phil and Wayne told me that the fuel gauge issue should be sorted soon as they are working on it. Ike who did the new mapping told me that as long as the SC speed does not increase, there is no way I can get much more power than what it is supposed to produce which is 200bhp so the only way forward is a bigger pulley which I already have thanks to Prolex, I just have to wait for the stroker kit to be available now :P

Overall I am very thankful to SPC Horsham, the service has been very friendly and efficient. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Glad it's all sorted mate - there's definitely a trend starting here where people who had their pants pulled down by TDi are having the work sorted out by the lads at SPC!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links