Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Stock Intake Modification

MikeCox

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the forum, been doing a bit of reading about intake pulse tuning and the like, and I was looking at the stock IS200 intake scoop. The front of it appears to split into two, one path favouring the intake resonator tee'd onto the side of the intake. I was wondering if anyone had taken the time to remove the split in the intake, and block off the two resonator boxes joining onto the intake - I know on a particular model of subaru that had a resonator in the front guard by removing the resonator and changing the intake to a straight piece of pipe the 0-100 time was reduced from 6.5 seconds to 6.1 seconds. You can read about it in '21st Century Performance' by Julian Edgar.

Anyone's thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hey all,

I'm relatively new to the forum, been doing a bit of reading about intake pulse tuning and the like, and I was looking at the stock IS200 intake scoop. The front of it appears to split into two, one path favouring the intake resonator tee'd onto the side of the intake. I was wondering if anyone had taken the time to remove the split in the intake, and block off the two resonator boxes joining onto the intake - I know on a particular model of subaru that had a resonator in the front guard by removing the resonator and changing the intake to a straight piece of pipe the 0-100 time was reduced from 6.5 seconds to 6.1 seconds. You can read about it in '21st Century Performance' by Julian Edgar.

Anyone's thoughts are welcome.

Cheers,

Mike.

Hi Mike

Nice to hear from you!

The reason the intake mod works so well on the early Imprezza is because the standard resonator is very restrictive (it reduces in volume by around 25%). This isn't the case on the is200. The split intake is more for structural rigidity (if the divider wasnt there, the compressive strength would be compromised)

Hope this helps :)

The part that Mikecox is talking about I think is the air intake for the standard airbox. The bit that extends to the front grille.

Just on that point that you mention about the standard intake manifold Elliot, I also heard a rumour Dave was looking at that problem.

Well It really isn't a problem unless your are running high boost on a turbo'd IS. I wouldn't be sure it would hold out to well under high boost as it is plastic. And it is made from very hard but brittle plastic so could be easily cracked. I wouldn't have any idea about what kind of pressure would be needed to damage it but I also wouldn't be convinced that the IS intake manifold is the most flow friendly manifold around. I have had mine off and it looked fairly detailed and complicated etc. I would guess that a much simpler custom designed manifold would be better for turbo'd engines and of course it would need to be steel or alloy etc for high boost.

Anyway off topic there...sorry.