Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Private Plates

Hi Everyone

I have now got both V5 docs and the Lexus is now registered as mine, so off I go to the garage with both V5 docs to send of for a cherised plate transfer....whilst this is happening is there anything stopping me from being able to now just go to the garage and drive the Lexus away? It is taxed/MOT'd and registered to me all I am waiting for is the private plates...both my dad and brother managed to still use there new cars whilst the plates were being transfered.

Regards

Gary

Hi there mate,

You can use the car whilst the number plates are being swopped over as long as u have got insurance and the car is roadworthy mate all is fine!

Also as the new number plates are on you will need to notify the insurance of a plate change so new documents are sent out to you (some insurances might charge you for new docs, mine charged me £5)

Thats it really, starting rolling in ur IS!

Congrats for the new plates, what do they spell?

Have you paid for the car? If you have, it's yours, take it home!

The car's currently registered in your name with that registration, nothing wrong with that at all. Just make sure that when you go to the DVLA to change the plates over, that you have the new plates as well as the registration will change right there and then. You'll need to swap them before you can drive home (theoretically anyway)

Hi there mate,

You can use the car whilst the number plates are being swopped over as long as u have got insurance and the car is roadworthy mate all is fine!

Also as the new number plates are on you will need to notify the insurance of a plate change so new documents are sent out to you (some insurances might charge you for new docs, mine charged me £5)

Thats it really, starting rolling in ur IS!

Congrats for the new plates, what do they spell?

Thanks imyruff

The plates spell P6 (the first to letters of the original plate of the car I first had the plates on) GJW (my initials - Gary John Woodman)

Have you paid for the car? If you have, it's yours, take it home!

The car's currently registered in your name with that registration, nothing wrong with that at all. Just make sure that when you go to the DVLA to change the plates over, that you have the new plates as well as the registration will change right there and then. You'll need to swap them before you can drive home (theoretically anyway)

The car is on finance and the first payment is coming up soon. Yep thanks for that.

Now I am getting really annoyed read below....

I rang the garage and spoke to a helpful woman called Amanda (who I have spoke to in the past), she told me that I can drive off with the car tomorrow once I have signed the handover docs at the garage and we exchange cars...owners manuals etc.... Also the DVLA have confirmed the above, however I rang the salesman who I am dealing with on his mobile and he told me that no we can't its up to the DVLA! So where do I stand? As far as im concerned it seems like the salesman doesn't want me to have the car!

I would like to know where I stand....can I just demand the car and say that both Amanda and the DVLA have confirmed that it is ok for me to drive the Lexus?

I hope the above makes sense im just getting p***** off with it all the salesmen who sold me the car doesn't seem to want anything more to do with it.

Regards

Gary

What is the salesman's reason for saying it's up to the DVLA?

Can I clarify a few things:

1) Do you have the V5 for the Lexus in your name?

2) Has the private reg been removed from your old car?

3) Do you have the certificate for the private reg?

If the answer to all of the above is yes, then the lady you spoke to is correct - once you sign the papers, just swap cars and drive away.

If not, this could be where the problem lies.......

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links