Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Petition Against Yet Another Government Stealth Tax

Dear fellow Lexus owers,

You may have recently heard about the Governments new introduction of a surcharge of at least £15 for all persistent offenders.

Daily Mail 30th March 2007

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/arti...66&ito=1490

The money form this charge is for victims of crime but will mainly be put into Domestic Violence victim support initiatives for the purpose of employing counsellors to take alleged cases to court.

Sounds an honourable cause to fund, but shouldn’t perpetrators of violence and abuse crimes be the ones paying this charge, and not criminalised motorists who happen to clock up more that one offence?

In today’s high tech world of speed cameras it’s far too easy for a motorist to be labelled a persistent offender and then wind up paying additional fees on top of any fine and penalty points accrued to Domestic Violence schemes.

How can it be right for motorists to pay a surcharge for abuse crimes when they have not perpetrated any such a crime?

If you agree that this policy is fundamentally wrong please sign this online e-Petition:

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/DVSurcharge/

Many thanks,

David

Read the debate from the House of Lords - Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Bill [Lords]:

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c...0701s05.htm#end

The Government has to respond to the petition if it attracts enough signatures.

If you say nowt, they'll assume we are all happy bunnies and just continue to issue stealth taxes behind the backs of the sleeping motorist :blush: (there's another fine and points + DV Surcharge...note to self...take a break)

I signed the last one about 4x4 and gas guzzler tax and got a long winded reply from Tony B liar, which in layman's terms meant Bo@#ocks to the Electorate, we are doing it anyway

You are probably right, but if we do nothing, you remove any dissent and backlash for the crazy zealous things they continue to enact.

This country already has a lazy attitude to politics and the reason we have power man run away Governments is that WE let them get away with it.

Only by chipping away at their policies can we undermine this attitude. The other track is to vote with your feet at election time...another area WE are lazy at, and wonder why these idiots continue to run our country.

You are probably right, but if we do nothing, you remove any dissent and backlash for the crazy zealous things they continue to enact.

This country already has a lazy attitude to politics and the reason we have power man run away Governments is that WE let them get away with it.

Only by chipping away at their policies can we undermine this attitude. The other track is to vote with your feet at election time...another area WE are lazy at, and wonder why these idiots continue to run our country.

Well put.

Who is next in line to head the labour (TORY in disguise) party, Gordon bloody Brown, the same man who removed tax relief on dividends and pension fund profits 10 years ago, 5 years later warned of a "pensions deficit" and now has his head "below the parapet" cos he has screwed everyones pensions apart from his own and the civil service.

I agree "vote with your feet" or even better an one way ticket out of this place and leave the government to collect taxes from people who don't pay any anyway, work that one out Brown.

Rant over

Is there any point, seriously ?

No one ever takes any notice of the petitions ...........

Completley agree with SF...

The goverment swept a 5 million signature petition against road pricing under the rug with a "we dont care what you want, we're doing it anyway" so what difference will another one make?

• 2 weeks later...

Guys - some sensibility needed...If we all stuck to the speed limits we wouldn't have this thread!

I drive near on 25000 miles a year, and whether I drive at 70 or 60 on a motorway, my journey time is only affected by a few minutes. So I drive gently, stick to the law, leave plenty of time and in hundreds of 000's of miles have never had a speeding fine/points/caution...

If you're repeat offender, then one day you may well kill someone (probability)!

Guys - some sensibility needed...If we all stuck to the speed limits we wouldn't have this thread!

I drive near on 25000 miles a year, and whether I drive at 70 or 60 on a motorway, my journey time is only affected by a few minutes. So I drive gently, stick to the law, leave plenty of time and in hundreds of 000's of miles have never had a speeding fine/points/caution...

If you're repeat offender, then one day you may well kill someone (probability)!

A fair point but I have several points on my license, most of which were accrued driving just a few miles an hour over the limit on A roads on clear sunny days. To stick to the limit religiously would require you to watch the speedo continuously and not the roads.

3 points for doing 68 (limit 60) on A380 through cornwall (downhill camera at bottom *sigh*, through bodmin moor!)

3 points for doing 37 (limit 30) on A road after Much Wenlock (no houses or crossings, woods either side)

3 points for doing 36 (limit 30) on A road in Kidderminster (no camera or signs visible, days before they had to show them)

So yes I was speeding on all occasions, and am happy to admit that but it was hardly 120 on the motorway or 38 past a school on a weekday. I have not an an accident in 18 years, so am I justified in getting banned after the next infraction. I don't think so tbh. These were done in a blimmin Rover 200D, hardly a deathtrap of a car.

Money making scheme, pure and simple.

:lol: True, but you also have to remember that due to Speedo Inaccuracy, you could have been showing :

70ish+

40ish

70ish+

- though it does seem harsh it should have been clear you were well over, though speedo accuracy can be a 1mph under too...

As far as the Rover 200d is concerned, it's a Rover...a death trap in itself :lol:

Never again since ourr wonderful Metro!

:lol: True, but you also have to remember that due to Speedo Inaccuracy, you could have been showing :

70ish+

40ish

70ish+

- though it does seem harsh it should have been clear you were well over, though speedo accuracy can be a 1mph under too...

As far as the Rover 200d is concerned, it's a Rover...a death trap in itself :lol:

erm the third 70ish would have been in a 30 zone!!!! but I take your point. The problem to me is that the speed of roads is totally illogical. They should rationalise the speeds 20 mph in heavily built up areas near schools. 90 on a motorway on a clear day. That sort of thing.

Car technology has come on massively (with exception of Rover perhaps), but the speeds haven't changed since the forties. Where is the logic in that.

70ish+

40ish

70ish+

erm the third 70ish would have been in a 30 zone!!!! but I take your point. The problem to me is that the speed of roads is totally illogical. They should rationalise the speeds 20 mph in heavily built up areas near schools. 90 on a motorway on a clear day. That sort of thing.

Car technology has come on massively (with exception of Rover perhaps), but the speeds haven't changed since the forties. Where is the logic in that.

Yeah sorry :blush: , meant 40ish, and you are right, other countries have totally changed but blighty stays the same!! I take your point, motorist are sitting ducks for most legislation, tax etc.

I think we've become to politically correct here on other things too, but the facts do speak for themselves - hit someone at 30 and they will probably live, hit them at 40 and they'll probably be dead.

thats why i never drive over 30 in a built up zone, but why have a 30 zone on a road with fields either side and not a house for miles?

I just feel a bit victimised and think the whole system needs rationalising