Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clinky Brakes?

Hank B

Its give me your knowledge time!

I've got a fairly loud 'clink' noise from my drivers side rear wheel when I press the brakes, this sound also occurs when I hit a bump, the same noise, from the same wheel.

What ccould this be?

I've got brand new dba grooved discs and ferodo sport pads all round so it aint just as simple as replacing the discs or pads. Could it be the caliper?

sensible answers on a postcard please :hehe:

when did the brakes get fitted?

could be the brakes not reasembled correctly? pads not a great fit? something not done up tight enough?

coil spring?

just last week, but it wasn't doin it at first, only for the last couple of days. It's goin back in on monday, the monkeys better fix it!

got exactly the same probs, mines started since i got new rubber for the wheels. dont know how that would effect the brakes. sounds awful.

i got new pads about 2 months ago i may pay the garage a visit to see if anything has warped or moved. does anyone think that the new sprigs could pose such a problem?

:D

got exactly the same probs, mines started since i got new rubber for the wheels. dont know how that would effect the brakes. sounds awful.

i got new pads about 2 months ago i may pay the garage a visit to see if anything has warped or moved. does anyone think that the new sprigs could pose such a problem?

Hi all, I had the same issue. New pads, discs, springs, shims were fitted. Turned out to be the springs. They need to fit very tight before the pads are fitted. Bend them so the clip into the carrier tight. You should not be able to take them out with your hand after. Clunks now gone when I go over ripples on the road etc.. :D

:D

Hi all, I had the same issue. New pads, discs, springs, shims were fitted. Turned out to be the springs. They need to fit very tight before the pads are fitted. Bend them so the clip into the carrier tight. You should not be able to take them out with your hand after. Clunks now gone when I go over ripples on the road etc.. :D

Cheers for that, car is going to garage tomorrow, I'll tell them what you told me :D

B)-->

QUOTE(Hank B @ Apr 16 2007, 01:39 PM)

Thats her fixed, no clinkin anymore, it was indeed the springs. Cheers again :D

Hey, no problem. I think we need to spread the word on this forum about the clunk issue, as there are many Lexus owners, not just IS200 owners who have this issue. Luckily my uncle, whoes been a mechanic for 40 years, solved the issue after driving the car and inspecting all the fittings to the brakes. He took the pads out including the springs to see how well they fit. You could clearly see that the springs were not tight againsts the pad and parallel to the pad. All he did was align that by moving various sides of the spring with those tweasor pliers. He then insured the spring was tight in the carrier before the pads were put back. Problem solved, I'm an happy IS200 driver.

• 1 month later...
B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hank B @ Apr 16 2007, 01:39 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Out of interest guys, are you talking about the "V" shaped spring that pushes the pads apart ?

I've been putting up with a clonking noise coming from the front wheels for a while now. So at the weekend I took both front brakes apart and cleaned everything up, plus put a little copper slip/grease in the appropriate place. The knocking isn't as bad as it was but it's still there.

Just wondered what else I could do/it could be, as I would like to sort it before I try and sell my car.

Dave

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hank B @ Apr 16 2007, 01:39 PM) </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Out of interest guys, are you talking about the "V" shaped spring that pushes the pads apart ?

I've been putting up with a clonking noise coming from the front wheels for a while now. So at the weekend I took both front brakes apart and cleaned everything up, plus put a little copper slip/grease in the appropriate place. The knocking isn't as bad as it was but it's still there.

Just wondered what else I could do/it could be, as I would like to sort it before I try and sell my car.

Dave

Hi, it was the four springs that the pads sit in, two on each side. What you need to do is get some grease, not copper grease but Toyota white grease from the dealer. It is for the pads, then put the grease in between the spring clips before you put the pads in with grease on them at each end. This will cure the issue, also make sure you do not palce the jet wash hose so close to the wheels when washing the car.

Hi Dino,

I think I know what you are referring to.... I remember seeing a 'silver' coloured piece of metal (I suppose it could of been a spring) at each end of where the pad sits. The pads have a bump sticking out at each end and they slide into a notch on the caliper, so I guess that in that notch there is the spring you refer to ?

So I simply clean up the area and grease the metal springs ?

Dave

Hi, it was the four springs that the pads sit in, two on each side. What you need to do is get some grease, not copper grease but Toyota white grease from the dealer. It is for the pads, then put the grease in between the spring clips before you put the pads in with grease on them at each end. This will cure the issue, also make sure you do not palce the jet wash hose so close to the wheels when washing the car.

Hi Dino,

Well.... on my way back from a short stay in Devon, I stopped off at a Lexus/Toyota dealership in the south west on Saturday. I asked about the "white grease" and was told by the guy behind the service desk that they only have it in huge drums. If I wanted some they would have to order it in and it's not cheap. I also asked whether it's possible to purchase the springs/clips that hold the pads in place, and he said that they only come with replacement Lexus pads. He said the clips should be changed when the pads are replaced.

As my replacement front pads were Mintex ones from Prolex they didn't come with any springs/clips, so therefore I was unable to change them at the same time.

Seeing as it's a pain to get hold of this grease and I can't get any new springs without buying Lexus pads, does anyone have any ideas how I go about reducing the knocking noise ?

I know it's not a difficult job to sort the problem out, but not being able to get hold of the parts required is annoying, especially when the dealership in question was unhelpful.

Dave