Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I picked her back up yesterday with one shiny new LPG kit fitted. :D

Cost 30quid in petrol to drive up there. 17/18 mpg (nailing it then bad traffic on M6) = 24p / mile

Cost 14quid in gas to drive back. 17/18mpg (what do you expect with the cruise control set at 110) = 12.7p / mile

HOORAH! :lol:

Cost 30quid in petrol to drive up there. 17/18 mpg (nailing it then bad traffic on M6) = 24p / mile

Cost 14quid in gas to drive back. 17/18mpg (what do you expect with the cruise control set at 110) = 12.7p / mile

I'm sure 'POST' rules don't forbid you mentioning WHERE/WHO did the work, and cost? We could get a bulk discount.....

I'm sure I could drive without a spare tyre.....and may be driving to Cyprus later in year, so.....(can you GET gas in Turkey?)

I'm sure 'POST' rules don't forbid you mentioning WHERE/WHO did the work, and cost? We could get a bulk discount.....

I'm sure I could drive without a spare tyre.....and may be driving to Cyprus later in year, so.....(can you GET gas in Turkey?)

Hey Chris,

Don't know about Turkey gas, but the stuff from cows would work ok :winky:

There's internet sites giving locations of LPG stations all through Europe so I don't see why not.

As for the kit.

Warington Autogas (in Warington obviously)

took 2 full days to fit.

I saw the ad on e-bay, called him to enquire if the kit was suitable for a Lexus and it turns out he used to own a Soarer that he LPG'd and had no probs with.

Took it up there, fitted cost 895GBP

+32 quid first fill up

+40quid to change the spark plugs, I asked him to do it while he had all the covers off.

Considering most V8's on autotrader in the 2K price range are going for 500quid more if they have LPG, it only needs to pay back 495quid and I'm laughing. :D

I take it you'll be on the ferry, then? They won't take LPG powered cars through the tunnel.

The AA states that on average drivers get a puncture every 96,000 miles.

Anyway, you should carry a can of tyre lube, for the just in case situation.

Also, keep a spare at home, all packed up ready for shipping, just in case you are away and get caught out. for about £25-£30, DHL can get it anywhere in the uk for noon the next day, if you can wait for it.

Hey Chris,

There's internet sites giving locations of LPG stations all through Europe so I don't see why not.

As for the kit.

took 2 full days to fit.

I saw the ad on e-bay, called him to enquire if the kit was suitable for a Lexus and it turns out he used to own a Soarer that he LPG'd and had no probs with.

+32 quid first fill up

+40quid to change the spark plugs, I asked him to do it while he had all the covers off.

Considering most V8's on autotrader in the 2K price range are going for 500quid more if they have LPG, it only needs to pay back 495quid and I'm laughing. :D

Wow! I was expecting £1500 or something (hope they're not reading this!).

As I'm from Liverpool and am going back for 2008....no that's too long to wait (City Of Culture year for 'Pool)

I could justify a couple of days stay up there while waiting for the job. May do that....

Seems I've started a diversion on the thread too, about Spare tyres.... :blink:

Hey Chris,

As for the kit.

took 2 full days to fit.

+32 quid first fill up

What sort of system is it - Single point or multi-point?

I'm looking for an excuse to upgrade to a Celsior so need to make it as cost neutral as possible :winky:

Speaking of spare tyres, My old P6 had a boot mounted spare - I think this would look rather cool on the back of my GS! Does anyone know if this is feasible?

Alex, not a bad price considering the long term savings. What, if any are the downsides? Does it affect drivability and long term reliablity in any way?

Do you have any pics of the install?

It's an Italian single point install.

Talked to them again last night and they said that there is no need for a flash lube kit either but I can ahve on if I want whaen I go back for my 1000 mile check up.

As for drivability, it's lost a little power but not much and there's no flat spots or lumpyness ect.

Long term I'm told that as the LPG burns hotter and cleaner than petrol the engine can suffer some wear, the answer is to treat her to a tank of petrol every 1000 miles or so just to coke her up a bit :winky:

Will take some photo's shortly.

long term savings??

1. you get half the mileage a petrol car does

2. the loss of power

3. though still controversial ( damage or life lose of the engine )

although it cost £30 to go there it used twice as much gas to come back even though its half the price of petrol, my math says you just wasted your money but im still following it up

long term savings??

2. the loss of power

3. though still controversial ( damage or life lose of the engine )

although it cost £30 to go there it used twice as much gas to come back even though its half the price of petrol, my math says you just wasted your money but im still following it up

Have to disagree a little here.

1. I'm getting almost the same mpg, just costs 40p/litre not 90p

2. yes there is a loss of power but it's not much and if you want it you can always flick her back over to petrol for a while.

3. ther may be some minor damage from the fact that LPG burns hotter and cleaner, but there's plenty of folks that have done over 100K on gas with cars that had already done 100K, what more can you ask for?

there = 30quid

back = 14quid

there's no fancy maths about it, it costs less! :D

long term savings??

Not true ! I had three toyota camrys (on last I did 450kkm on the LPG - no any repair on engine), from almost u1,5 year I own LS400 (1992) with LPG conversion (IV generation with direct inection of LPG - you can check consumption under my singature link) Car has 235000km and NOTHING is bad with the engine.

2. the loss of power

When you mount good LPG conversion system there is no power loss - I see no difference between Petrol/LPG. I can switch to petrol during kick-down car all time has a power !

Here is a link to my car fuelings: http://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/137702.html

Congratulation for all LPG converted car owners - you save money and environment !

Wow!

Took a look at your link and that's real data that no one can argue with.

9.3Euro / 100 Km LPG

14.5Euro / 100Km petrol

LPG = 64% of cost of running petrol.

Thanks for the info :)

Welcome to the LPG crew Alax JB.. :D

I too have a single point Italian Injection conversion (installed by the last owner). Given the option i would have installed the Multi-point but it costs almost twice as much..

I would recommend Flash-Lube too it saves the Valve seat's and basically it lubricates the top end of the engine which works with the higher temp which LPG burns at.. Well worth buying off eBay and getting them to install it..

I just been to a local installer to see what it would cost to upgrade the present kit to the Multi-point: £800 inc.. taking into account that the Tank (40Lt) and filler is already installed.. :o :o But he did recommend that it not worth it better off getting a newer car and then getting the full thing done at £1500 from fresh.. :shifty:

I do notice a diff in performance when pulling away at junctions but nothing major, cos it is costing be half the price to get to work and back.. :D

Dibslpg. :D

Wow!

Took a look at your link and that's real data that no one can argue with.

9.3Euro / 100 Km LPG

14.5Euro / 100Km petrol

LPG = 64% of cost of running petrol.

Thanks for the info :)

Welcome to the LPG crew Alax JB.. :D

I too have a single point Italian Injection conversion (installed by the last owner). Given the option i would have installed the Multi-point but it costs almost twice as much..

I would recommend Flash-Lube too it saves the Valve seat's and basically it lubricates the top end of the engine which works with the higher temp which LPG burns at.. Well worth buying off eBay and getting them to install it..

I just been to a local installer to see what it would cost to upgrade the present kit to the Multi-point: £800 inc.. taking into account that the Tank (40Lt) and filler is already installed.. :o :o But he did recommend that it not worth it better off getting a newer car and then getting the full thing done at £1500 from fresh.. :shifty:

I do notice a diff in performance when pulling away at junctions but nothing major, cos it is costing be half the price to get to work and back.. :D

Dibslpg. :D

It's almost a club within the club! :winky:

I think you've got to fall into one of a couple of catagories when buying a V8...

1. Just dont care, waht the bigest thing on the market, have loadsa cash and can aford the petrol.

These guys buy Hummers and live in central London.

2. Want a spacious luxury car that's not cheap but afordable and I'm going to live with the fuel bill but have a nagging concern about the Co2 at the back of our minds.

This is where a lot of LS owners that use this forum fit (please slate me if you are anoyed by me draging you into this sweeping generalisation) :blush:

3. Want the smoothness of a V8 need a spacious car and some comfort and although could live with the fuel bill, want to make it cheaper and have a real concern about the Co2 levels our beloved but hungry motos put out.

This is where I am and I suspect many of the other LS/Gs owners with LPG.

Now feel free to tell me I'm full of :tsktsk: and tear some strips off...

[/quoWell done!!!!!!!!!.i run my 430 on lpg for work (60k a year).no probs.if it makes u feel better get a flash lube kit fitted approx £80-90 for peace of mind but just as good to run on petrol now and again.been told tha JAP engines are best for lpg conversions.many many happy miles!!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be due to take the big dog back to Warington autogas after 1000 miles (done 450 now), at this time they said they could fit a flash lube kit if I want, less than 40 quid for the kit and not much to fit.

I'm doing 10.7p/mile average so far :)

• 3 months later...

LPG is pretty popular in Turkey, makes it affordable for guys who work for a couple of quid a day to be able to run cars when they need them.

Most of major town and highway filling stations should have it.

I think it is Otogas or Otogaz over there.

Was this Warrington, Cheshire? Quite fancy the idea of that.

Does it start on gas or on petrol. I know some of the multipoint systems can start without using the petro system, but just wondered how the single point/gas ring type systems coped.

A decent multipoint system could potentially make more power if the engine ecu is controlling ignition and the higher octane is taken into account.