Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sorry But Tyres, Choice And Noise Again

The tyres on my 98 ls400 are starting to show cracking in the treads, they have only done 15,000 miles but have been on the car since new in 98 making them almost 10 years old which is probably the reason for the deterioration which concerns me from a safety point of view. I have telephoned Hull Lexus who are happy to supply Bridgestone, Michelin Pirelli or Continental but say they have no current availability for the Dunlopsp sport D8Z as fitted as standard, I have spoken to Dunlop who advised the sport 01 as it was advertised as being a quiet tyre, however I have searched the forum and seen people saying it was considerably noisier than the D8Z's so I have dismissed that option as Road Noise is my definate pet hate with the car and I could not put up with anything noisier than the existing tyres on the crap road surfaces we have in this area.

Dunlop also advised a Fulda Progressor which is apparently very big in Germany, but as someone pointed out on the forum, they also have lovely surfaced roads over there so whats quiet over there may not equate to the same over here.

So what I am after is a LS400 owner who is equally paranoid over road noise almost to the point of obsession who has experienced a number of tyre options and come up with the best solution.

I would be happy to refit D8Z if I can get hold of them locally from somewhere that can be trusted to supply the apparently required Japanese versions, although part of me suspects that in 10 years there should have been some advances made in tyre quality, the car doesnt get thrown about at all, I just want the minimum possible amount of road noise and the car to stop when required.

Any help or advice on a) best tyre choice B) suitable suppliers in the Hull/York area would be gratefully appreciated, it may be that the existing tyres will be okay for a few thousand miles yet but the cracking does concern me, a mint 98 ls400 with 15k genuine mileage would not be easy to replace if written off for the sake of spending £400 on new tyres.

Thanks in advance

I had Dunlop Sport 01's on my last car and they were quiet, I would like them on my Camry but there not available in that size, I have just checked comparing to my dad's LS400 though and they are available for that.

I did find the D8Z's listed a few days ago when looking at one of the online places but can't remember who it was, they were about £105 each.

Tyre noise is mainly due to the road surface used in this country. You are right abut German surfaces. They are smooth and silent. In this country, the road surface used is made DELIBERATELY rough so that 'the road noise will make drivers aware of their speed'!!! (And, I'd guess, will wear tyres out faster too?...friction equals wear!)

I live 100 yards uphill from the A4. The constant tyre roar is like the sea breaking on a shore, yet the cars themselves are mainly pretty quiet (especially LS400s!!)

Bristol put in a few miles of silent surface about 8 years ago; heavily promoted as silent, as cheap to apply, as durable......then nothing!! Next resurfacing? The old chippings in tar solution! Seems to me this is a subject for a separate string on here, and get Jeremy Clarkson on the case?

As to tyres? Well, I've already done this on old string on subject. I got the Japanese version of Dunlops ordered through a national chain (whose name escapes me for the moment!). Just have to be definite that this is what you want! They aren't any more expensive!

The tyres on my 98 ls400 are starting to show cracking in the treads, they have only done 15,000 miles but have been on the car since new in 98 making them almost 10 years old which is probably the reason for the deterioration which concerns me from a safety point of view. I have telephoned Hull Lexus who are happy to supply Bridgestone, Michelin Pirelli or Continental but say they have no current availability for the Dunlopsp sport D8Z as fitted as standard, I have spoken to Dunlop who advised the sport 01 as it was advertised as being a quiet tyre, however I have searched the forum and seen people saying it was considerably noisier than the D8Z's so I have dismissed that option as Road Noise is my definate pet hate with the car and I could not put up with anything noisier than the existing tyres on the crap road surfaces we have in this area.

Dunlop also advised a Fulda Progressor which is apparently very big in Germany, but as someone pointed out on the forum, they also have lovely surfaced roads over there so whats quiet over there may not equate to the same over here.

So what I am after is a LS400 owner who is equally paranoid over road noise almost to the point of obsession who has experienced a number of tyre options and come up with the best solution.

I would be happy to refit D8Z if I can get hold of them locally from somewhere that can be trusted to supply the apparently required Japanese versions, although part of me suspects that in 10 years there should have been some advances made in tyre quality, the car doesnt get thrown about at all, I just want the minimum possible amount of road noise and the car to stop when required.

Any help or advice on a) best tyre choice B) suitable suppliers in the Hull/York area would be gratefully appreciated, it may be that the existing tyres will be okay for a few thousand miles yet but the cracking does concern me, a mint 98 ls400 with 15k genuine mileage would not be easy to replace if written off for the sake of spending £400 on new tyres.

Thanks in advance

Hi

Lexus Hull just put a new D8Z on the spare of my 98 Ls400 for £78 plus Vat as part of some other servicing work I was having done at the time - not sure where they sourced the tyre from. I also had four put on about 20,000 miles ago from black circles.com. Nice and quiet and seem to stop/handle well.

Nick

Hi

Lexus Hull just put a new D8Z on the spare of my 98 Ls400 for £78 plus Vat as part of some other servicing work I was having done at the time - not sure where they sourced the tyre from. I also had four put on about 20,000 miles ago from black circles.com. Nice and quiet and seem to stop/handle well.

Nick

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links