Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Manual Or Automatic Is 200

Maurice

I have been considering purchasing an IS200 but unsure whether to buy a manual or automatic. I believe that the manual can suffer from a notchy gearchange. Is an automatic worth the extra cost and would an automatic be worth more than a manual when I come to sell?

Now there is a question!

I have an automatic. It's the first auto I have ever owned - and there's no way I'd go back to a manual!

It all really depends on what you want from the car. In my opinion, if you're not going to buy an IS200 sport I would buy an SE auto. If you're going for an SE manual, you might just as well go for the sport.

From what I have seen an SE auto sells for more money than an SE manual. However, it did cost £1230 more in the first place!

The question I want answered is - When are Lexus going to put a 5-speed auto box in the IS200!!!

I'd suggest you test drive both, ask the dealer to lend you each for at least a couple of hours so you get a good feel for them.

I've never really been sold on the auto IS200 (I've had a few as loan cars), with it not being a 5 speed and not being an particularly powerfull engine I personally think the manual is better. If your used to manuals I'm sure you won't be disappointed with the IS200 6 speed.

Personally I wouldn't touch the auto. With the IS200 not being the most pokey motor in the first place, having an auto box makes it even slower. you're looking at a 2 second difference in the 0-60 stakes.

I've never had any problems with my manual box since it wore in after the first couple of months.

However if you spend all your life in trafic jams and in town rather than on B roads like me, then it might be just the job.

Just my 2 cents.

I got a new IS 200SE Auto a year ago, having driven both. It all depends on what you want - the 0-60 dash in either version of the IS200 is sluggish by most standards, and the auto more so than the manual. (The book figures are 11.2s for 0-60 in the auto, although realistically it's a tad quicker). Having said that, I wanted ease of driving and refinement, and that's what you get. Ok, so it's only a 4-speed auto, but the box is every bit as smooth as what you'd find in an equivalent BM' or Merc, and it puts many other auto cars (like Vauxhall) to shame.

95+ % of the time I just leave it in "D" and let it get on with it :sleeping: , only very occassionally do you really need to push it, and which point - just like the manual - the engine does get a bit harsh & unsophisticated.

I think the only way is to drive both for a good few hours. It's down to personal preference and that is the only real way you are going to know.

I've had both and prefer the Auto, but there are pro's and cons to both.

Only you can decide but you will need to have them for a while to be fully sure. See if you can use one for the whole day.

Having mostly driven manual cars, i decided to go for a new Automatic IS 200 SE, and i can honestly say i would never go back to a manual. The sheer effortless drive, the lack of any noticeable gear changes, and the general smoothness have convinced me that auto is the way to go.

The auto is slower off the light, but when using the 'ECT power' button on the auto gearbox, i don't think there is any noticeable difference in acceleration once you are moving.

As mentioned above, drive both and see which suits you.

Good luck

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links