Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bulldog

Any car built (as opposed to registered) prior to Jan 1 1973 qualifies to be a Historic car in the eyes of DVLA, and as such qualifies for zero rated road tax. Originally the cutoff was meant to be a rolling 25 years, but the current Labour government quashed this, setting the cutoff for Historic status as 01/01/73. You do still need to display a tax disc however, really just to prove that when you applied for the disc you had current insurance and MOT, but you will not have to hand over a single penny. This legislation can have some bearing on values of identical cars that were built either side of the '73 cutoff - buy a January 1973 build Triumph TR6 and you'll have to pay up even though the car comes out on sunny days only, whereas your neighbour with his/her '72 TR6 is in the fortunate position of paying £nothing, which, if totted up over a few years, can add up to a significant sum!

Hope that answers your question. :D

What a shame that they don't have a similar rule for income tax.

I have been retired for 14 years and I still pay income tax . . . . . . :o

That's because you're in the fortunate position of still having an income big enough to qualify!! You're still using services supplied by taxpayers money, after all... And being a pensioner, you do get a much more generous personal allowance than us workers! :)

That's because you're in the fortunate position of still having an income big enough to qualify!! You're still using services supplied by taxpayers money, after all... And being a pensioner, you do get a much more generous personal allowance than us workers! :)

My net personal allowance this year is minus £35 (i.e. I owe them £35 before I get any income), so yours must be really grim . . . . . :blush:

. . . . . and those "services"? That'll be them waging war in Iraq on my behalf etc. . . . . . :)

Still, I do get a free TV license . . . . . . :D

My net personal allowance this year is minus £35 (i.e. I owe them £35 before I get any income), so yours must be really grim . . . . . :blush:

. . . . . and those "services"? That'll be them waging war in Iraq on my behalf etc. . . . . . :)

Still, I do get a free TV license . . . . . . :D

Yes, well, I didn't say anything about the services being stuff you might find useful, did I?!! :)

I had K codes for a few years when I had company cars with private fuel etc, they really rip into your take-home don't they?