Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all I have got some new discs and pads; had them a while and just getting round to fitting them, has anyone got a step by step guide?

I have taken the wheel off to have a quick scout around but not sure how these discs are fastened on?

from what i can see, I have the wheel bolts sticking through the disc and two; what look like allen key fasteners either side of each bolt but they look round not hexagonal I have tried using an allen key but it doesn't work.

I downloaded a service manual but its worse than a haynes book.

any help would be grateful

cheers

Hi all I have got some new discs and pads; had them a while and just getting round to fitting them, has anyone got a step by step guide?

I have taken the wheel off to have a quick scout around but not sure how these discs are fastened on?

from what i can see, I have the wheel bolts sticking through the disc and two; what look like allen key fasteners either side of each bolt but they look round not hexagonal I have tried using an allen key but it doesn't work.

cheers

Is this front discs? They are not actually fixed on at all - you will need to completely remove the caliper and it's carrier (bolts behind, it's not difficult to do in principle, though the bolts themselves are often extremely tight!). The discs themselves are then only stuck on by their own rust, copper grease etc. Tap them with a rubber mallet, if they still won't come off - then make *absolutely sure* you have bought the correct replacement discs, and belt the old ones with a metal hammer until they see sense and come off...

To put the new ones one, clean up the hub behind thoroughly, smear copper grease onto the surface, and pop the discs over the wheel studs. Use a couple of wheel nuts to hold it flat into place while you remount the carrier and caliper, then remove those two bolts and remount the wheel.

When replacing the wheel, make sure to tighten the nuts in the correct order, which is bolt 1, 3, 5, 2, 4 (ie opposites) to make sure the disc stays flat against the hub - this avoids driving with the disc out-of-true which causes it to warp.

cheers

Is this front discs? They are not actually fixed on at all - you will need to completely remove the caliper and it's carrier (bolts behind, it's not difficult to do in principle, though the bolts themselves are often extremely tight!). The discs themselves are then only stuck on by their own rust, copper grease etc. Tap them with a rubber mallet, if they still won't come off - then make *absolutely sure* you have bought the correct replacement discs, and belt the old ones with a metal hammer until they see sense and come off...

To put the new ones one, clean up the hub behind thoroughly, smear copper grease onto the surface, and pop the discs over the wheel studs. Use a couple of wheel nuts to hold it flat into place while you remount the carrier and caliper, then remove those two bolts and remount the wheel.

When replacing the wheel, make sure to tighten the nuts in the correct order, which is bolt 1, 3, 5, 2, 4 (ie opposites) to make sure the disc stays flat against the hub - this avoids driving with the disc out-of-true which causes it to warp.

Hi mike many thanks for the guide, yes they are front discs I also have the brake pads (mintex) to go with them, will have a go tomorrow. and let ya know how I get on. If I have time I'll take some pics and make a short guide.

I had originally purchased some very nice discs but upon inspection and a bit of cleaning it had a small fracture in the disc side. so i sent those back and got some from a supplier on eBay recommended to me by a mate who also has a GS300.

Cheers

Who is the supplier as i could do with some new front disc?

A guy called levo21:GS300 Grooved front Brake Discs

The only issue people really have with this ebayer is slow delivery he has 99.6% feedback which considering his sales is pretty good, I got mine within 3 days if memory serves.

You can either buy via eBay or contact him directly on 01246 559933 or go to their website WWW.CRN-UK.COM

best regards Lee

• 1 month later...