Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying Advice: Approved Is250 High Mileage Auto

Hi.

I am about to purchase a 2005 (55) IS250 AUTO with high mileage (20K+) under the approved pre-owned scheme.

Is there anything I should be wary of (tyres, brakes) and how much would you expect the higher mileage to affect the car depreciation? Also, is the high mileage likely to indicate something other than just lots of motorway driving?

This is my first car purchase for many years and my first nearly-new purchase, so I feel I am learning all the time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hi.

I am about to purchase a 2005 (55) IS250 AUTO with high mileage (20K+) under the approved pre-owned scheme.

Is there anything I should be wary of (tyres, brakes) and how much would you expect the higher mileage to affect the car depreciation? Also, is the high mileage likely to indicate something other than just lots of motorway driving?

This is my first car purchase for many years and my first nearly-new purchase, so I feel I am learning all the time.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

20K+ is not high mileage. My 55 plate IS250 Auto has done 30K miles and feels like new. Apart from regular servicing all I've had is 4 new tyres and set of front pads at 20K.

I've just hit the 20k on my IS220d. No problems, drives better than new ;)

The only thing that miles seems to impact (with me) is the amount of stone chips. If they are bad I would try and agree that the dealer does a respray for badly affected areas.

I've just had 20k service on my IS250SE auto. Make sure it's got fulll service history from Lexus. Check tyres all the way across the tread. Fronts will probably be work on the inner edge more than the outer. As above rattles and squeaks from dash / seat. Wheels for corrosion ( yes already ) Lexus will replace FOC.

That's about it really ( as it's still under Lexus warranty ).

Doubt you'd have anything to worry about as its an approved Lexus car, with a full manufacturer warranty to boot. Peace of mind if anything should go *BANG* (not that it will being Japanese technology you understand) :) But do take it for a good spin and make sure you press and flick as many switches as you dare (allowed?) to see if everything works as it should and how it feels to you.

Especially check the 'kick down' aspect and make sure it is to your liking. If you are new to autos then each box from different manufacturers will have different characteristics - just see if its a case of getting used to it.

more like 200K....so many old LS's running around with intergallactic miles - on same engine, 'box's and exhausts

The only thing that has hit 4 cyl Toyota engines is the poor oil consumption (check out the Toyota Avensis forums). My diesel (9000 miles) has been through a patch where it guzzled nearly a litre over 1000 miles, now it's OK again...

I think Lexus 6/8 cyl engines have been fine in this regards, so nothing to worry about as far as I know

On a new car (and speaking from a BMW POV) it isn't unusual for the car to need refil of oil (about 1 litre) every couple of thousant miles. Our E46 330i was taking 1L oil every 2k miles until about 35k when it settled - this is apaprently wel within factory tolerances. I would guess that'd be the same with Lexus?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links