Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Over Heating

mudzs

drove car 50 miles today park up with no problems ,on return journey i pulled over to take a call and noticed the engine management light was on .decided to limp it home but only got a few miles and the temp gauge shot up .pulled over and it was overheating .waited an hour for it to cool and refilled water and drove home no problems at all .car has not over heated again and can find no leaks .i can only think the thermostat stuck or something like that .has any one else had a simaler problem or got any other ideas on what could have caused this . :blush:

Hi,

Did you turn the heater setting to hot? That would help keep the engine temp down.If you did was there hot air coming out of the vents?

Its might be a air lock in the system or if the cars been stood a while then like you say it could be a sticky thermostat.

drove car 50 miles today park up with no problems ,on return journey i pulled over to take a call and noticed the engine management light was on .decided to limp it home but only got a few miles and the temp gauge shot up .pulled over and it was overheating .waited an hour for it to cool and refilled water and drove home no problems at all .car has not over heated again and can find no leaks .i can only think the thermostat stuck or something like that .has any one else had a simaler problem or got any other ideas on what could have caused this . :blush:

I was chatting to one of the sales guys in Reading recently and he mentioned that some GS's had radiator problems (internal corrosion?) and that it's worthwhile getting it checked over for free at a dealer. Apparently there were some warranty engines supplied due to loss of coolant, they may also be able to advise cost of refurb rad instead of new.

Dave

Spot on with that reply,rad has gone at bottom and leaking for a while :unsure: .just need to source a new one now .was going to put it on autotrader this week as well ,will have to wait now .but then again i have found lots of reassons to keep car for the last year or so :D

Spot on with that reply,rad has gone at bottom and leaking for a while :unsure: .just need to source a new one now .was going to put it on autotrader this week as well ,will have to wait now .but then again i have found lots of reassons to keep car for the last year or so :D

Seems v. likely overheating is due to low coolant because of leaky rad then. Best keep it topped up until replaced as overheating can cause major problems such as cylinder head gasket failure or engine warping. And sooner or later the rad will go big style and leave you stranded.

Keep it mudzs....you know it makes sense! :D

Got to get mine checked out soon as I've had an 'advisory' from dealer about corrosion, if you find an outlet at decent price let us know.

Dave

would like to keep it ,but to be honest the mpg is just not good enough for me at this time and the audi tt we have is worse ,so its a bmw 330 d for me i think .will keep you posted about rad but think i have found one for around the £100 mark inc vat .i would change yours asap as mine has always had proper toyota antifreeze yet still has gone .wil post up name of outlet for rad as soon as i recieve it and check it is ok .

Tony

would like to keep it ,but to be honest the mpg is just not good enough for me at this time and the audi tt we have is worse ,so its a bmw 330 d for me i think .will keep you posted about rad but think i have found one for around the £100 mark inc vat .i would change yours asap as mine has always had proper toyota antifreeze yet still has gone .wil post up name of outlet for rad as soon as i recieve it and check it is ok .

Tony

:ohmy: Get an LPG conversion!! The conversion will be cheaper than the first servicing/breakage bill on a Beemer :whistling: You know it makes sense.

Back to the Rad, last time I needed a rad done, I got it reconditioned at a place in Canterbury. I know it was very reasonable at the time but it was 7 or 8 years ago now and it was for my old pug 505 diesel.

• 4 weeks later...