Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Newbie After Some Lexus Is200 Information

Hi there,

This looks like a cracking website, so thanks for approving my application.

I am looking into buying an IS200 Sport but am after some information on costs etc of running these cars etc.

So was wondering if some could advise on servicing from a main dealer and independent garage.

How often should the car be serviced?

How much are the belt changes etc and how often should they be done?

Many thanks for your help

Marc

What is involved in the major and minor services ?

hi marc your not from vxon are you by any chance. if so snap. i was on as vauxhallmadscott had a red sri v6 vectra at trax last year.

Yeah that me ;) and I remember you ;)

Hi there and welcome to the LOC,

Jamie

in response to your question buy a 200 best car ive ever owned. i loved my v6 sri vectra but this is something else

Servicing is quite expensive in comparison to BMW and other car makes as is all the parts but they are very reliable cars. Watch out for corroded alloys (£40 per wheel to refurb)/ Water pump leaking on the front right of the engine at hoses and make sure you check all your electrics including CD player works as they often get CD's jamming. Other than that ball joints often go but i believe its about £80 for that to be done.

Servicing at lexus will be expensive. I go to a local garage that is recognised by other LOC users as there is no point in lexus stamps after around 60-80k

I was serviced last week for 100k so here is what it cost: -

6 Denso SK20 R11 Spark Plugs = £47 (£67 quoted from lex dealership)

oil filter and sump washer = £9.89

Air filter = £21.48

pollen filter = £24.53

5 litre oil = £15

Timing Belt = £30.64

Tensioner = £58.06

Idler = £58.13

Air filter/pollen and oil filter can all be bought cheaper from your local car shop which would be made by japanese manufacterers such as ADL.

Timing belt needs doing at 100k or 6 years as said above. There is pretty expensive. Recommended to do the tensioner and idler at same time. a local garage will charge around £100 for changing this. Lexus will charge you around £400 in total including parts or as part of the 100k service its around £750 without the idler and tensioner so that will cost you at least an extra £150. Some people have paid over £1000 for a major service as the dealerships do like to take the mikey.

Diff oil needs changing every few years as does brake fluid and a clear out of coolant every 30k i think as its long life pink stuff they put in.

I think thats everything....

Oh dont be put off by cars with 100k on them cos they still drive like new. just make sure they have all the stamps.

Thanks for all the info :)

What kind of 'common' problems do these cars have? Any regular places for the odd rattle? I've read the CD player likes to swallow em - does that generally mean a replacement or can they be repaired fairly cheaply.

I am not one to scrimp on my cars - I do spend the money I just like to know what I am getting into if I were to take the plunge.

How do people find the performance, and ahndling of these cars in standard is200 form?

Any further info is greatly received.

Thanks for all the info :)

What kind of 'common' problems do these cars have? Any regular places for the odd rattle? I've read the CD player likes to swallow em - does that generally mean a replacement or can they be repaired fairly cheaply.

I am not one to scrimp on my cars - I do spend the money I just like to know what I am getting into if I were to take the plunge.

How do people find the performance, and ahndling of these cars in standard is200 form?

Any further info is greatly received.

As i mentioned above:

CD Player

Ball Joints

Water Pump Leaking

Corroding alloy wheels

Inside tyre wear - throughly check (average tyre is £60 - £80 with black circles.)

these are all common faults. CD players tend to go wrong on the old style CD player which was put in the first cars from 1999 until 2001. identify this type of cd player by the tape being at the top and CD loads at the bottom. the newer ones dont tend to get faulty much. I believe not many people can repair them. they were under 5 year warranty with lexus where they just replaced. These days its cheaper to buy another one off eBay. Also to note you cannot exhange an old style radio for new style as i believe the plugs are all different.

Apart from this Id recommend checking all the electrics work such as electric seats/washers/auto lights/central locking/seat belt lights for both front seats/heating and air con system. Lexus and toyota are known for excellent mechanics however like with BMW the electrics always go faulty and can be expensive to repair.

something else to point out is i remember the first time i researched lexus is200's and there were reports of gear boxes being notchy on the early ones. Ive never experienced problems but feel free to search on the forum for more info.

any further questions feel free to ask and ill be glad to help the best i can.

Hi all, great site you have here. My question is this, during my search for an IS200 i have noticed one or two with a different stereo unit installed for example i saw one IS with the double DIN Sony system that comes as standard with the 2000 model Celica and MR2's does that mean these's a replacement panel with the DIN slots for the IS which allows you to install an aftermarket stereo available? Considering that fact that the original is prone to problems there's no point going to Lexus and asking them for another OEM unit because hell, i want my head unit to take USB memory sticks and SD memory cards or play MP3s or have a phunky graphic Equalizer which sings and dances to the music... i don't want to pay silly Lexus dealer prices for ANOTHER standard stereo...

One thing I am concerned about is the speed, it wont be as quick as my current car I know that, but the luxury could make up for it.

Anyone got any ideas on prices of a service?

hi there , must correct you on that one , the 200 is quicker than the vectra v6 , i tested mine against a friend of mine , on a track of course :D . oh welcome and good luck :D

One thing I am concerned about is the speed, it wont be as quick as my current car I know that, but the luxury could make up for it.

Anyone got any ideas on prices of a service?

hi there , must correct you on that one , the 200 is quicker than the vectra v6 , i tested mine against a friend of mine , on a track of course :D . oh welcome and good luck :D

I currently drive a 270-280 (ish) bhp MK3 Astra GSi with over 300lb/ft of torque ;) My car produces around 230 or so BHP/ per tonne

any further questions feel free to ask and ill be glad to help the best i can.

Thanks for the really useful information, got more questions lol.

Is the optional Sat-Nav unit that was available in these cars updateable or worth it ? I want to try and get the best specc-ed car I can so I do not go through the route of modding/ upgrading (which I am a bit of a sucker for lol).

Hi all, great site you have here. My question is this, during my search for an IS200 i have noticed one or two with a different stereo unit installed for example i saw one IS with the double DIN Sony system that comes as standard with the 2000 model Celica and MR2's does that mean these's a replacement panel with the DIN slots for the IS which allows you to install an aftermarket stereo available? Considering that fact that the original is prone to problems there's no point going to Lexus and asking them for another OEM unit because hell, i want my head unit to take USB memory sticks and SD memory cards or play MP3s or have a phunky graphic Equalizer which sings and dances to the music... i don't want to pay silly Lexus dealer prices for ANOTHER standard stereo...

Yes there is a facia plate available that replaces the standard stereo and allows you to put an aftermarket stereo in, I have just had this done as the FM modulater had gone in the IS I have just bought. I would thoroughly recommend this as the way to go as the facia plate looks pretty good (graining on the plastic is a bit mismatched but as I work in the auto industry doing cosmetic parts I tend to notice these things more than most people). However the difference a good aftermarket stereo makes is massive even with the stock Lexus speakers, I thought the sound was good before but it is crystal clear now, and of course it has the flashy OLED screen and snazzy equalizer, and of course I now have an MP3 connector coming out of the glove box when I connect my MP3 player.

• 1 month later...

another one to note...

the driver side fog light suffers from a build up of condensation.

light still works, but just a common fault to add to the list.

also sat nav screens tend to have dodgy flexi cables and so the screen starts to flicker and change colour, even turn off.