Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Removing Scratches From Satnav Screen?

I have a pre-owned IS250 SE with multimedia kit, and there are a couple of fine scratches on the satnav/multimedia display screen which have been there since I got it. Only noticed them after I was well on my way back from the Leicester Lexus dealership to Aberdeen - otherwise I would have asked the dealer to try to remove them. However, the car is my pride and joy and well looked after by me, so these scratches are bugging me more and more :duh:

I'm thinking I could maybe remove them with some sort of cutting stuff such as Meguiar's Scratch X, but then again I'm terrified to try as it's a touch-sensitive material and what if it makes it worse and leaves some sort of permanent marks on the screen?! :crybaby:

Can anyone suggest a method removing these scratches that is (more or less!!) guaranteed to be safe on the screen material?

• 3 weeks later...

I have a pre-owned IS250 SE with multimedia kit, and there are a couple of fine scratches on the satnav/multimedia display screen which have been there since I got it. Only noticed them after I was well on my way back from the Leicester Lexus dealership to Aberdeen - otherwise I would have asked the dealer to try to remove them. However, the car is my pride and joy and well looked after by me, so these scratches are bugging me more and more :duh:

I'm thinking I could maybe remove them with some sort of cutting stuff such as Meguiar's Scratch X, but then again I'm terrified to try as it's a touch-sensitive material and what if it makes it worse and leaves some sort of permanent marks on the screen?! :crybaby:

Can anyone suggest a method removing these scratches that is (more or less!!) guaranteed to be safe on the screen material?

Hmmm, not a single reply :crybaby: So I'm bumping this to see if I can get more readers/suggestions over a weekend :P

To be honest I'm not sure if this may be too abrasive, but I always use Brasso on the headlights to remove scratches from them, that's a hard plastic though, so it probably may do more harm than good to the display screen - honestly not sure mate?

To be honest I'm not sure if this may be too abrasive, but I always use Brasso on the headlights to remove scratches from them, that's a hard plastic though, so it probably may do more harm than good to the display screen - honestly not sure mate?

Thanks Aido. Yeah, that's what worries me about using any sort of standard light cutting paste on the plastic screen. If anyone does have a solution that they are sure will not damage the screen I'd love to hear it.

You can buy plastic polishes for model cars and bikes etc etc

Try your local hobby shop for clear plastic polish. That might sort it out. Of course its going to be abrasive but at a minimum.

Remember - if it's the touch screen, then it is a conductive display unit. I wouldn't use anything on that is not Lexus recommended - the last thing you want to do is make it worse...

PS - aparently toothpaste is good for cleaning and restoring mildly scratched CD's - just simple colgate, not the "whitening stuff" as it would be too abrasive. And even then, light buffing only, nothing too heavy!!

Again - I wouldn't use it...

Remember - if it's the touch screen, then it is a conductive display unit. I wouldn't use anything on that is not Lexus recommended - the last thing you want to do is make it worse...

PS - aparently toothpaste is good for cleaning and restoring mildly scratched CD's - just simple colgate, not the "whitening stuff" as it would be too abrasive. And even then, light buffing only, nothing too heavy!!

Yeah, the more I consider it, I reckon anything is too risky. Think it's probably best I ask dealer next time I'm in. Don't know if they'd replace the screen under warranty - it was scratched by previous owner so don't know how it happened - but then again I'd have thought it should be made so that it doesn't scratch easily :unsure:

Yeah, the more I consider it, I reckon anything is too risky. Think it's probably best I ask dealer next time I'm in. Don't know if they'd replace the screen under warranty - it was scratched by previous owner so don't know how it happened - but then again I'd have thought it should be made so that it doesn't scratch easily :unsure:

I was told it's hard wearing, so someone must have really knobbled it...I've got a nushield protector now, it's OK. But shiny and reflects light.

www.nushield.com

Would the stuff that you use to renovate the clear plastic in sports car hoods do the job.

It is only mildly abrasive.

Renovo do a range of scratch removers for glass and certain plastics.