Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Musty Air Conditioning Smell

I searched the site looking for this problem, cause my car kinda has a musty smell, but not that bad to be honest. My old IS was worse.

I spoke to Lexus Glasgow about it. I was promptly told that there is a modification required to the vehicle which Lexus are aware of. Don't ask me what it is, but it involves removing the dash to replace some new parts (£1000 cost under warranty). That'll do the trick, I was informed.

Naw yer alright - I'd rather put up with the occasional odd mustiness as opposed to having the car taken to bits. As I said to the Aftersales guy, its a bit like getting an operation on your knee. It'll work afterwards, but it will never be the same again.

I will try the alternative friendlier methods.

whenever there is just a small temperature difference between outside temperature and inside temperature and AC os in, there is a good chance you will have described problems

try increasing temperature difference and i bet your problem will go away

(there are other reasons as well, but this one is usual suspect)

Had the Same problem with a previous car...

What did help is run the car with the engine at full temp, switch on air con, put heater to full temp and run for at least 20 mins..

Was told it was bacteria in the system and the high temp kills it off.. Worth a try as it's a costs nothing.. :)

I had the same problem... smelt like damp everytime I switched on the AC....

I noticed after I gave the car in for it's first service....

even mentioned it when talking to the Lexus dealer...... got a blank look from them.

However does anyone have a issue with the heating? I have to turn my C-Control to 25 just the get the car warm......

Also mentioned this to Lexus Dealer who said use the AC and the car will throw out warmer air... WTF?

now i work in a office where the AC is set 23 and it's way too hot...

Yep mine has it too. Smells foul and I have to switch the aircon back on to get rid of it.

If your running your aircon at 25 just to get warm I'd say you need it overhauling. Possibly new O rings and a refill? I run mine at 20 and it's about right for a cold morning.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links