Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Musty Air Conditioning Smell

... I have the same annoying 'feature', and had the same with previous cars other than Lexus, and yes, is's caused by bacteria (similar to Legionella bascillus!) Don't worry though, it's just an annoying smell, best dealt with by having the air-con system treated with an anti-bateriacide.

Problem is, it's not inexpensive, and the smell comes back after a while (so the Halfords can sounds worth investigating)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes if you try the 'can' :)

- Mark

None of you have mentioned the method that was revealed on here ages ago - boil a kettle in the car!!!

Yep, just stick a kettle in the car, connect it to an extension, and whatever you do make sure it's stable, then I think you just stick the system on recirc with AC enabled and just boil the kettle, you'll probably need to keep an eye on it to make sure that the kettle doesn't run out of water as fromwhat I remember you need to ensure the switch is held down so it doesn't turn itself off..

The boiling hot steam going through the system will kill all the bacteria!

Definitely something to try for free :lol:

This is the thread I was thinking of - post made by "Large Fat Lexus" :D

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=23740

It's a bit worrying that I remember that and it's 20,000 topics ago :o

From a safety point of view, I would suggest the best place for boiling a kettle is the kitchen for a cup of tea :D whilst you nip outside and try the 'Febreeze' thing!

- Mark

Just a thought, but does anyone whos car suffers from smelly air con ever switch their compressor off. I ask because in all my cars with air con I have never switched it off and never and a smelly system. Now my feet are another story... :lol:

:huh: ...not so sure about the pollen-filter guys, but I'm all ears. Typically, it's an issue with bacteria in the system. I must admit, as Oldcro suggests, I find that turning the air-con off is usually when the odour appears; perhaps leaving it on is the best way to prevent the issue.

- Mark

ps worst smell I ever had in a car was when a bloody moggie pee'd into my air inlet from the bonnet :angry: Needless to say, I'm not much of a cat-lover nowadays!

Just recently my 16 month old IS250 SE MM auto when it starts if the car is warm pushes out a real mustyl smell from the air con - just for 10 secs then its fine - anyone know what it is or how to cure it ??

many thanks

Flippin Ek, I wish you'd never mentioned it :crying: Now I've noticed it in mine!!

Just recently my 16 month old IS250 SE MM auto when it starts if the car is warm pushes out a real mustyl smell from the air con - just for 10 secs then its fine - anyone know what it is or how to cure it ??

many thanks

Flippin Ek, I wish you'd never mentioned it :crying: Now I've noticed it in mine!!

Oh I do Like the smell of AC in the morning :sick: (NOT)

Mines started too - must be the weather! I'll give mine a blast of hot air for 30 minutes, worked before. It does depend where the "mould" is if there is any...on the filter or in the pipes/vents