Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello all,

i am looking to replace my Company Car (mercedes C Class) and have the Lexus 220D SE-L on my shortlist against a BMW 320d M Sport and an Audi A4 2.0 TDI S-line.

now i know this being a lexus forum bias will exist but thought you can convince me to keep the lexus in no 1 spot.

Why do i need convincing?

MPG and Gearing!!

the car i have had on test averaged a MPG of 38.4 over 100 miles of mixed driving 30% motorway. having read all the posts i realise there is no quick fix but over a tank I reckon that there is about 100 miles difference betweem the lexus and the germans.

the lexus is cheaper for my monthly contributions and has all the toys and comfort that are big plus's. i enjoyed the ride and felt comfortable in the car. but there is a niggle in the back of my mind that says .... will i have made the right choice that will make me fell good for the next 3 years.

Also the wobbly rear view mirror - does this affect the anti dazzle mirror? i have had the SE for a 24 hour drive and it wobbled like crazy.

Is it possible to copy the navigation disk and add Speed Camera's as POI's (probably on the forum but cannot find in my quick search)

Thanks for taking the time to look through my post and hope you can help me make my decision.

Of course if i decide on the lexus then the next post will be what colour and interior!!! (Cadoxton & Black leather?)

Cheers

Bob

Hello all,

i am looking to replace my Company Car (mercedes C Class) and have the Lexus 220D SE-L on my shortlist against a BMW 320d M Sport and an Audi A4 2.0 TDI S-line.

now i know this being a lexus forum bias will exist but thought you can convince me to keep the lexus in no 1 spot.

MPG and Gearing!!

the car i have had on test averaged a MPG of 38.4 over 100 miles of mixed driving 30% motorway. having read all the posts i realise there is no quick fix but over a tank I reckon that there is about 100 miles difference betweem the lexus and the germans.

the lexus is cheaper for my monthly contributions and has all the toys and comfort that are big plus's. i enjoyed the ride and felt comfortable in the car. but there is a niggle in the back of my mind that says .... will i have made the right choice that will make me fell good for the next 3 years.

Also the wobbly rear view mirror - does this affect the anti dazzle mirror? i have had the SE for a 24 hour drive and it wobbled like crazy.

Is it possible to copy the navigation disk and add Speed Camera's as POI's (probably on the forum but cannot find in my quick search)

Thanks for taking the time to look through my post and hope you can help me make my decision.

Of course if i decide on the lexus then the next post will be what colour and interior!!! (Cadoxton & Black leather?)

Cheers

Bob

Bob, the anti-dazzle mirror won't be a problem; I actually find it more annoying with the Levinson System bass making the mirror dance!

I have Cadoxton Slate with Grey Leather - beautiful combination. I've found that I'm always looking back at the car whilst walking away after parking it because it's such a good looker! My previous BMW 330 Ci Sport was very nice, but not as nice as the Lexus.

I have a friend with a 220 D, and he took that after owning a Merc CD220, and he says the Lexus wins all around, hands down. He's had it over a year now and still enthuses about it. It's a difficult personal choice, and if you don't mind spending a little extra on fuel, the V6 Petrol Auto is a dream to drive, and the economy is exceptional (hence the lower tax than the diesel)

All your suggestions sound good, so I'm sure your ultimate decision will be a good one. I moved from BMW to have something a little different, and I'm happy I made a very good choice (see every JD Power survey that's going :winky: )

Good luck in your choice -

Mark.

Hi

I've had my IS220D-SE for 3 months now - and still think it is a fabulous car - I pass lots of BMW's, Merc's and Audi's on my commute and I still feel smug cocooned in my well equipped and comfy Lexus.

There are pro's and con's for all the usual suspects, but IMO the Lexus, whilst not necessarily getting 5-stars in every area, ticks enough boxes enough of the time to beat the others.

Another facet that, whilst it didn't sway my opinion/choice but did confirm it, was the level of customer service I received when visiting the various showrooms: At the BMW garage my wife and I were ignored when trying to obtain details on a 320d and, when we did manage to draw someones attention they were snooty and pretty obnoxious. The Merc garage was worse, off hand and dismissive and didn't even send me the prices I'd requested despite a phone call to chase them up. They seem to forget that whilst I might be a 320d/C200 driver of today, I could be a 6-series/S-class driver of tomorrow. To be fair, the people at Audi were fine.

Sorry about the customer service rant...

The ML sound system is incredible (your rear view mirror certainly vibrates with Arcade Fire at high volume), plenty of go when required, soft leather, lots of toys and, yes prestige - all at a price that the others can't match.

I believe Audi are doing a free upgrade to S-line as they are in run-out mode, the BMW is for estate agents/wide boys and the Merc is for old men/drug dealers.

Get the Lexus, pocket the difference.

Oh... and you'll be let out at junctions

Hi Bob

Sorry about my mini rant, didn't really answer all your questions...

MPG - I've had no problems, lousy stop/start urban commute but getting 35/36mpg.

Gearing - Don't listen to all the moans on here, sure if you're coming from petrol to diesel it takes a little getting used to, but 6th is fine over 80-85ish (we were happy with 4 gears a few years ago).

Wobby mirror - wrong gear = wobbly mirror. loud music = wobbly mirror.

POI - When driving, you can hit the "mark" button on the sat nav and it stores its location (I've got a few speed cameras located on mine). I believe you can rename them but I've not got round to that.

Colour/Interior - I wanted black with grey interior but ended up with black with beige interior. In the end I'm glad I got the beige leather as it makes the cabin light and airy. Even managed to get some cheap beige rubber mats to protect the carpet protectors (a bit Oirish I know) for over the "wet season".

Gearing - Don't listen to all the moans on here, sure if you're coming from petrol to diesel it takes a little getting used to, but 6th is fine over 80-85ish (we were happy with 4 gears a few years ago).

I don't think you could call comments on a gear that only works on the cusp of sparking the interest of plod on the motorway a moan, in the sport it works from around 60 and it should do the same in the standard geared model. Although 5th is only really like 6th in most cars, I'd rather not do long dual carriage way trips in this gear. It's odd at first but only takes a few miles to adapt your driving style I admit.

For the mpg, I was at 35 ish for the first 5k but mine is now on 20k miles and even with 80% short trips I'm averaging 39 with long trips moving me up to 44 ish. Looks like the engine needs a lot of running in, this is the same with the mirror - it no longer vibrates with the engine resonance but only the bass on the stereo which I have to admit is rarely below 40 on the volume :winky:

Hello all,

MPG and Gearing!!

Cheers

Bob

Hello Bob....welcome to LOC. Yes you can add speed camera's as POI's. I have a Cadoxton Slate IS250 SE-L with black leather & the MM pack and the rear view mirror on mine has never wobbled although the one on the 220D I had as a courtesy car during my last service certainly did. Also the gearing was a bit strange but I guess having the car for only a day wasn't long enough to get used to it.The gearing was changed on the Sport version and I understand it's marginally better and you don't have to change down on motorway inclines. That's another thing, why with that troublesome gearing did they make it manual only?

I don't know what the statistics say, but almost all the second generation IS's I see on the road are 220D versions so I presume most of those are Company cars :unsure: . I understand Lexus were aiming to sell two 220D's for every 250.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree with me but in my personal opinion the 220D doesn't fit the Lexus image. Presumably the four cylinder oil burner was lifted from the Avensis to meet the demand from accountants employed by the European fleet car markets. Having taken Lexus so long to develop a diesel, (well they haven't had one for 15 years) you would have thought they would have come up with something rather better than an old-school diesel. BMW and Honda certainly did.

If you want a diesel get the BMW.....only the Lexus V6 petrol engine is a match for that superb chassis. :tomato:

Hello all,

MPG and Gearing!!

Cheers

Bob

I think that as he says,if money for juice is not the be all etc then Tango is right, given my time again I would go 250+auto+mm. However if you want a diesel then dont worry, just forget 6th exists ( unless you are at Le Mans) and as she loosens up you will get 40 odd mpg (i do) Also you get the extras plus here in Oirland we get 3 year warranties as against 2 years for BMW Mercs and Audi. One thing is for sure, as a past owner of a C Class whatever you buy you will be getting a better car . Mine was a piece of :tsktsk:

Seriously - only you can answer the question - if you're having to ask, take another test drive. People on this forum are biased...

As far as the Sat NAv is concerned, you cannot burn in new POI's, the system is good, but not as good as some of the competition. The Bluetooth, ML and reversing camera are a delight!!

On UK's roads, the gearing is strange...if you drive like I do, at 70 on the m'way, the speed falls between 5th and 6th and the car doesn't like either.

5th feels too low and 6th too tall. You can therefore end up speeding, and as stated above 6th is cool at 85!

The car is Euro5 compliant, so you are likely to be better off £ wise later this year (I believe).

Pesonally, I would say take the £ hit and go for the Auto SE with MM! If it's a diesel you want, I would test this car back to back with the 320d, which uses less power but better gearing much more smartly...

From a VFM perspective, nothing beats the Lexus IS...especially as the new ones should be rattle free!

PS - as Barry Lavin says, if I could turn the clock back, and I went Lexus again, it would be a IS250 Auto SE MM

Seriously - only you can answer the question - if you're having to ask, take another test drive. People on this forum are biased...

As far as the Sat NAv is concerned, you cannot burn in new POI's, the system is good, but not as good as some of the competition.

Hmm..don't think I'm biased as far as the diesel is concerned, certainly not towards it as Lexus should have developed a better engine for it's first foray into the oil burning market :angry:

If it's any help I'll clarify my statement on the speed camera comment. No you cannot burn new Points of Interest (POI's), but you can record up to 106 Speed Camera positions as Memory Points and that's surely enough to cover all the cameras on your regular routes...except maybe the A90 from Aberdeen :D .

The other advantage of using the Memory Points for the camera positions is the sound option which allows you to programme an audible bell sound when you approach from a particular direction..so you know you are approaching a camera on your side of the road. For those of you with the manual, it's in 'Advanced Functions' page 70 to 77.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I would look at a 250 as first choice but the tax and contribution make it an unattractive option.

I have just done back to back test drives with the BMW 320D , my exis merc C180 auto petrol and the lexus 220D. at the risk of turning this into a "fuel fix" thread.

11 mile run from middle of estate - windy road - motorway - to steep hill - extreme windy hill to town driving up one final hill 30mph due to speed cameras.

The above is my route and felt it would be a good run to test comfort, drive and economy.

So the findings

My Merc petrol. (51k)Avg Speed 34 AVG MPG 28.2

BMW (4.3k) Avg Speed 32 AVG MPG 35.9

Lexus (2.9k) Avg Speed 30 Avg MPG 29.9

Now I know the 2.2 engine and weight of the car would be against the lexus but I expected it to be further from the mercedes than it was.

Ride - very comfortable in the lexus though a little more roll in the windy roads than expected. BMW, not a family cruiser on 18" runflats bumo bump but very planted and certainly more fun throwing in the corners.

Overall I like the Lexus as an overall package and the family man in me says cruiser (though will I ever cruise in 6th!) though with the extra premium to pay in the petrol and the loss of MPG I cannot help but feel that as both the BMW and Lexus will cost me the same overall in contribution (though lexus with a lot more kit) the running of the lexus will be astronomical in fuel compared.

On another note why do lexus do a flat black only? Like the black but worried it could look quite flat if I dont wax too much, silver every other IS2xx seems to be this colour do not really like anyother than Cadoxton Slate

Thanks for reading and fel free to support/flame

I think the BMW 320d is superb car with great handling and superb balance, which makes it a leader when it comes to driving pleasure and experience. If you enjoy your driving and want to step out of the car with a grin, then that should be your car of choice (perhaps even a 330d in E46 guise).

Yes BMW have awful Sales staff and you feel like 'just another customer' - but you buy the cars not for the Sales experience but for the driving pleasure and involvement. Ditch the RFT and chuck on a set of 'proper rubber' and go enjoy the car...and still get real world 45MPG.

The Lexus excels where the BMW fails, on luxury (everything is a cost option on the BMW), Service (Lexus make you feel valued and individual), attention to customer care (Lexus will try their best to help you and not suffer any inconvenience) and pamper you in general.

Yes BMW Dealers could learn more than a few things from Lexus. But it is BMW who have the moniker: Ultimate Driving Machine and not -Best Customer Service. You buy a car to drive and enjoy, not to be pampered by the manufacturer.

The Lexus is a more softer and corseted ride, thereby leaving you with a feeling o a little detachment from the whole driving experience. yes the IS is packed with technology and gizmos as standard and does a very good job of getting you there...but it all depends on how you want to get there.

I speak as someone who has owned E46 330s for many years and have recently swapped to an RX300. I have been very impressed with the Service and Lexus attention to detail, very happy with the car and supremely confident in its abilities and capabilities - yet every time I drive it, it feels a little soulless, it just seems to be missing that added 'va-va-voom' (if you will) that I felt in the BMW.

Lexus is not a bad car by any means. I would buy another RX in a heartbeat (and indeed will upgrade to an RX400h in 3 years time) but if it were a car - then I'd buy a BMW every time.

I hope Lexus-ites wont flame me for my comments and understand where I am coming from when I talk about the driving experience. I am not being critical of Lexus but thought you should have an answer to your question from someone who is a fervent BMW-Person but has bought a Lexus SUV. Very good cars, very capable, undeniably a people's manufacturer (Lexus that is) who has its reputation deservedly.

I've just come off the back of three Beemers for many of the reasons above. Truth is, you shouldn't need to be pampered by your dealer, and you'll see them even less with BMW as the servicing intervals are more favourable.

If you're buying a diesel and want to 'enjoy' the ride in driving terms, my personal choice would be the BMW by some distance, and probably with an auto box (come on Lexus, you've really missed a trick here), but from a petrol point of view, I honestly believe that the Lexus does it 'better' in many, many ways.

That's my humble opinion :)

- Mark

Another tuppence worth if I may...

With regards to the cars having soul, sure the Lexus doesn't have the character of a Beemer. I've had a couple of BMW's and loved them, also had Toyota's and have to say the Toyota's were boring but incredibly capable.

I'm sorry, but customer service does count, especially if something goes wrong. I had a right ding-dong with my local BMW dealer a few years ago when I had problems with cold starting which was eventually traced to a duff set of injectors. The workshop manager conceded it was a manufacturing fault but it took ages and a lot of letter writing to get it sorted - they eventually fixed the problem FOC - which they should have done in the first place. This episode left a sour taste for quite some time.

A Lexus owning acquaintance has had a couple of minor niggles (alloy wheels being one) which Leeds Lexus have resolved without fuss - he's on his third Lexus and is very fussy about his cars.

If you want a car purely for the driving experience then yep, no arguments, the Beemer is probably the one for you.

Personally, I wanted a car that ensured I finished a long journey capable of being refreshed enough to conduct business and arrive home equally refreshed. Sure, I had to get the MM so I had satnav and Bluetooth and it's a very expensive option, but IMO a worthwhile bolt-on.

Getting MM was definitely worth the money just to see my 19 year nephews head nearly explode when he claimed the mega sound system in his mobile disco of a car was the loudest in Leeds and I demonstrated what the ML could do

Am I biased? Sure I am, but I enjoy driving this car more than any of the other cars I've had.

Thsnk you for your replies. I tappears from what I read that you have the same opinions that I have.

the BMW has lousy customer service but a great drive and MPG I have to agree that Customer service is no something that overly concerns me as I hope that i will not need but yes you want to be respected (I already will not use 2 dealers in my areas due to their disrespect for a test drive.)

The lexus is a comfortable ride and has all I want toys wise but the MPG is a concern as I must have it for 3 years.

I know in 1 breath I wan the drive of the BMW , the MPG of the BMW but the luxury of the Lexus and the prestige/difference of the Lexus.

Does anyone have any info as to whether the Lexus is Euro V compliant as the brochures do not confirm. Also what will the effect be in October (taken from another topic)

I know in 1 breath I wan the drive of the BMW , the MPG of the BMW but the luxury of the Lexus and the prestige/difference of the Lexus.

And hidden in there is one the key reasons I'm buying a Lexus IS 250.

I drove home to my folks the other day (a few hundred miles) - one BMW. Another BMW. Another BMW......etc.

I have read that last year there were more BMW's sold than Ford Mondeos, which has resulted in exclusivity akin to an iPod.

I saw one Lexus IS 250 during the entire journey, and it looked lovely.

During the same journey, even though I was not exactly driving slowly (in the overtaking lane), I had several cars drive up my ar*e. Nearly every time I looked - a BMW.

I am biased. I cannot bring myself to buy a BMW because I don't want to be assumed to be like many of the idiots I see driving them (usually in my rear-view mirror). I'm not saying every BMW driver is an idiot, but perhaps it's "driveability" brings out something in people which I don't want to be associated with.

Since placing the order with the Lexus, anyone who has asked what car I am getting has reacted with "oooh!" when I tell them. I suspect I wouldn't have gotten the same response with the BMW.

some of you compared IS220d to bmw - I saw an e46 and a 330ci.

Have you driven the new e90?

I have and except two things I don't see difference in driving - I mean enjoing the drive.

The two exceptions are - almost no turbolag in 320d - this is really extremely good and a great advantage over the IS. The second is possiblity to switch esp (dsc) off in the beemer.

Otherwise - both cars heavy, both understeery (unless floored), both harsh drive and stability problems on bumpy roads.

Beemer fans say, that the e90 is the worst 3xx beemer ever. This I can't confirm as the e90 was the first I have tried.

11 mile run from middle of estate - windy road - motorway - to steep hill - extreme windy hill to town driving up one final hill 30mph due to speed cameras.

My Merc petrol. (51k)Avg Speed 34 AVG MPG 28.2

BMW (4.3k) Avg Speed 32 AVG MPG 35.9

Lexus (2.9k) Avg Speed 30 Avg MPG 29.9

1. I find the 11 mile run too short. I am an consumption addict :) which means that I reset AVG very often to see the consumption.

I have 7kms from home to work. Usually I have to give the way 2 times (one on stop sign). One-two more stops or 1 minute waiting on stop sign means difference in consumption around 20%

2. on 2,9k the IS220d is still too tight to show its consumption capabilities

3. bmw has higher mpg but - but have anyone proved that the board computer counts correctly? On beemer I haven't but I heard that it's slightly optimistic. On IS220d I had, and in mixed conditions the BC is very accurate, and on highway slightly pesimistic (showed 36mpg and reality was 37 - with roofbox, 140-150kph and headwind)

I can confirm that the BMW readout of the MPG is pretty accurate, certainly on a 5 series, but to about 2-4%. The Lexus is 2% most of the time, occasionally 3%.

At the end of the day, the Lexus is going to be a rare car, and all the better for it. Coming from a family of BMW owners, I can only say that the reason why people buy BMW's is because they are good cars. They drive well, are economical and there are loads of places (including specialists) who will service them cheaply.

BMW's are mechanically reliable and very tough, at least since BMW sorted out the OHC's and went for VVT a few years back.

For you to be asking the question means you are not 100%. I was - the minute I drove the cars back to back, it had to be the Lexus, and despite some issues with both the car and the sales experience, I am reasonably happy for now - though where I come from, when I say I've a Lexus, I get sympathy!!

Like it's said above - each time I see a 320d, I don't take a second look, but many BMW drivers take long admiring glances at the new IS. I know that despite my issues and the marque having a lack of heritage, I'm still driving an enviable car.

If fuel economy is an issue, then the BMW, or the new C Class may be better.

And as Matus says, I too monitor the MPG and can confirm what he says - drive over longer sample time/mileage frame to get a better feel for the MPG.

I can confirm that the BMW readout of the MPG is pretty accurate, certainly on a 5 series, but to about 2-4%. The Lexus is 2% most of the time, occasionally 3%.

At the end of the day, the Lexus is going to be a rare car, and all the better for it. Coming from a family of BMW owners, I can only say that the reason why people buy BMW's is because they are good cars. They drive well, are economical and there are loads of places (including specialists) who will service them cheaply.

BMW's are mechanically reliable and very tough, at least since BMW sorted out the OHC's and went for VVT a few years back.

For you to be asking the question means you are not 100%. I was - the minute I drove the cars back to back, it had to be the Lexus, and despite some issues with both the car and the sales experience, I am reasonably happy for now - though where I come from, when I say I've a Lexus, I get sympathy!!

Like it's said above - each time I see a 320d, I don't take a second look, but many BMW drivers take long admiring glances at the new IS. I know that despite my issues and the marque having a lack of heritage, I'm still driving an enviable car.

hello..had jaguar x type (never again) then audi tdi....now lexus is220d collected last saturday and i have to tell you im very impressed. yes the mpg is prob not as good but only slighlty, today i avrg 43mpg sat at 80m

If fuel economy is an issue, then the BMW, or the new C Class may be better.

And as Matus says, I too monitor the MPG and can confirm what he says - drive over longer sample time/mileage frame to get a better feel for the MPG.

hello..had jaguar x type (never again) then audi tdi....now lexus is220d collected last saturday and i have to tell you im very impressed. yes the mpg is prob not as good but only slighlty, today i avrg 43mpg sat at 80mph on the M62 ...this is also very rare i know . wobly mirror also but actually i think the rear window vibrates with the bass from the hifi system. so if you think you can live with these things then the lexus is a must....look around you on the mway . audi ...bmw... be different. if you dont like get rid but i know it wont come to that. also servicing..well the lexus guys look after you...not just a number in queu because audi and bm have so many customers they cant lookafter you correctly. shall we say a very personal approach is what gives lexus the edge.

andy (hull)

Bob Mushroom

On tenterhooks - well nearly. We need closure on this one...

What's it to be???

I have next week to finally make my my mind - having both cars again for 24 hours and got a 250 round trip planned for both! Will let you know of the descision.

well, it has been a difficult descision and one that came down to fun vs toys, drive vs comfort, smile vs frown!!

After my 2 identical trips in each car oof 250 miles mixing hilld and motorway twists and turns and country track roads ther e is a winner.

BMW 320D MSPORT!!

Now before you flame me I appreciate all the comments on this forum and it has certainly helped me to understand the nigggles so I can look at them objectively.

overall the BMW just brought more of a smile to my face while driving. the lexus was refined (though not as refined as i hoped) and is attractive as being different (not german) great toys (DVD in traffic - priceless) and comfort (greta seats) but I felt less involved in the drive.

It is a good car and cannot believe I am in a position that i can turn down the lexus.

i do feel that in 3 years time when the well documented "issues" have been ironed out i will be looking at the lexus again.

Thanks for all your comments and posts and I hope to pass you all with an envious smile knowing the comfort and soundsystem you will have while I am in my faceless boring BMW.

Bob

Still a nice car you got there mate :)

Sure you'll enjoy it, sure I'll be experiencing one at some point in the future - always wanted a BMW when I was younger, Lexus was never around then, I quite fancy one of Chris Bangle's 5 series, they're nice :D