Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Pads And Discs All Round: Mintex, Ebc Or Both?

eMJay

Hello all!

I need to fit new pads and discs all round on my 1996 GS300 Sport and am wondering what to do: Mintex, EBC or a combination of both?

At the moment I'm swaying towards EBC Greenstuff front pads and Turbo Groove front discs with Mintex pads and discs on the rear as a cost and performance compromise. I've had this EBC combination on the front of a previous car and liked it but I've read mixed things about EBC's performance on the GS300 so the other option is to save money and go Mintex all round.

What do you think?

How do Mintex perform and how dust free are they?

I have Mintex on mine, they work very well, no complaints at all

Cant say I have noticed any more or less dust compared to standard realy

Thanks. I might just go for them then and save some money.

• 2 months later...

New pads and discs were fitted all round last week and I went for EBC Turbo Groove discs and Greenstuff pads for the front, thanks to great LOC discount, and genuine boxed Toyota discs and Mintex pads for the rear, I got the rear discs on eBay for £115 delivered.

I drove to Bristol yesterday and was getting some judder through the steering wheel when braking to a stop on motorway exit roads. There's no judder when braking around town. Any ideas what this might be?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update: It has taken about 200 miles for the brakes to stop squeaking and I haven't been on any national speed limit roads to see how the judder is now. The EBC Greenstuff are making more break dust mess than I remember when I had them on another car a few years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Used greenstuff pads and seriously had bad juddering.. changed disks to EBC which cured it for a short time, then the juddering came back worse as ever..

bought some more disks (lockheed) and was about to go on a big run when the pads started squeeling... had a look, and they were wore out, so not having enough time to do the disks as well, just fitted Mintex pads.. leaving the EBC disks on for the time being... within a week, the juddering stopped, and has remained fine ever since..

My advice... forget EBC greenstuff. I will never ever use them again... and will stay with Mintex.

John