Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Locking Wheel Nut Broken

ALI_1

I was changing my wheels while i was opening the nuts i put the key on the locking nut and and tryed to open it but the key slipped when i looked at the nut the holes had widend the key just slipps of it now is there anyway i can remove the nut

Do you have a box spanner a little smaller than the nut? They're like a section of pipe with hexagon formed ends that you turn with a screwdriver through drilled holes through the pipe mid-section.

Managed to remove a similar nut by hammering the box spanner over it so it re-formed itself around the nut and hey presto it came off.

This happened with mine.

Just check the steel ring isn't still inside the key. Mine was. With the ring still in the key, it doesn't go on properly. even though it appears too.

Once I got it out and put it back over the locking nut, (Very mis-shapen so I had to hammer it on) I was able to push it on further and get the leverage enough just to crack it even though the outsides of the cast was broken off the edge of the holes.

If you park somewhere and one of the local 10 year olds comes up an asks if he can watch your car for £1 tell him no and then by the time you've got back he'll have all wheels off and then you can buy them back off eBay :lol:

Only problem is he may of spray painted the car for you aswell :D

• 1 month later...

had this problem as well just hammer a 17mm i think socket over the top and use that to turn screw it off make sure u remove the spinning metal tho

or 19mm one of them 2 i think

i have this aswell i mite put the standard nuts on as locking nuts are a pain in the arse

the problem isnt with locking nuts in general - its with the cheap design that lexus/toyota use, also its not a great idea to fully tighten the locking nut to 70 ft/lbs.

bit if your does break then a decent garage will have the tool to take them off, my mate had a similar problem, it took the garage the same time to take the locking nut off as a normal one!

I've had this happen on my last car, took it down to Kwik Fit who had a special tool for removing broken locking nuts, took them about 30 seconds to get it off.

Don't bother messing about trying to get it off yourself, much easier to get someone with the right tools to do it :)

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links