Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

S/c & Camcon

this evening i was joggin a bit and while at that thinkin "hmm i wonder if-considering the fueling almost to the max with s/c and standar injector- the camcon can be of any help to squeeze ouy that extra hp if matched with some sort of upgrade on the induction side"

considering that the larger pulley will give an extra 0,2 bar of boost - probably too much too handle - maybe just a larger intercooler (katana estimate is 0,15 bar extra) is right what it takes to bring the max out of the standard engine w/o any furher upgrade.

is that really stupid of me to think this is a good option?

ps: tbh i have no clue how the fueling is adjusted once the s/c is in place.... is it a chore demanded to the piggyback unit?

this evening i was joggin a bit and while at that thinkin "hmm i wonder if-considering the fueling almost to the max with s/c and standar injector- the camcon can be of any help to squeeze ouy that extra hp if matched with some sort of upgrade on the induction side"

considering that the larger pulley will give an extra 0,2 bar of boost - probably too much too handle - maybe just a larger intercooler (katana estimate is 0,15 bar extra) is right what it takes to bring the max out of the standard engine w/o any furher upgrade.

is that really stupid of me to think this is a good option?

ps: tbh i have no clue how the fueling is adjusted once the s/c is in place.... is it a chore demanded to the piggyback unit?

1st, the fueling is NOT at max with standard injectors with s/c :D its the ecu thats standard and thats your problem, its set for standard engine running, so when TTE made the s/c kit, only used 0.3 bar to be safe.

You can up the boost with larger pulley and intercooler, but you will need piggy back ecu to control you injectors, your standard injectors are good for upto 250bhp :D as some of the turbo boys have been running with then, b4 they went for bigger bhp :o also the turbo's at some time, was running 0.5bar so upping with pulley extra 0.2 bar takes it to the same.

1st, the fueling is NOT at max with standard injectors with s/c :D its the ecu thats standard and thats your problem, its set for standard engine running, so when TTE made the s/c kit, only used 0.3 bar to be safe.

You can up the boost with larger pulley and intercooler, but you will need piggy back ecu to control you injectors, your standard injectors are good for upto 250bhp :D as some of the turbo boys have been running with then, b4 they went for bigger bhp :o also the turbo's at some time, was running 0.5bar so upping with pulley extra 0.2 bar takes it to the same.

so in a way I am correct to think that, with the help of the camcon I can add some fuel to keep the mixture correct in case I decide to up the boost 0,15/0,20 bar?

of course this is not gonna be perfect like with a proper mapping, but more like a fuel pressure regulator... is that correct or I'm having all my fact mixed up? :duh:

1st, the fueling is NOT at max with standard injectors with s/c :D

are you 100% sure Gord?? I say because i have spoken with Gerald at TTE ( the head engine guy) at some length about the SC setup etc ( gave me the size of the larger pully they tried also) and he has mentioned that the injectors are running at virtually the max cycle anyway.

Isnt the main problem, not the injectors but the conrods breaking (or being more prone to) at high boost?

afaik 0,3 is safe (according to TTE), at 0,6 there's been conrod breaking (maybe due to a little overboost to 0,7) so I think playin in the area of 0,4/0,5 should keep you going for a while.

Of course lower=safer, anything added to the standard configuration increase the risk of breaking something...

Isnt the main problem, not the injectors but the conrods breaking (or being more prone to) at high boost?

afaik 0,3 is safe (according to TTE), at 0,6 there's been conrod breaking (maybe due to a little overboost to 0,7) so I think playin in the area of 0,4/0,5 should keep you going for a while.

Of course lower=safer, anything added to the standard configuration increase the risk of breaking something...

There can be lots of other factors to a conrod breaking...not just boost levels...think about how cold the engine operates, how cold the air entering the engine is, restrictions in the exhaust system equalling extra back pressure....etc

As long as everything is designed well and you have good fuelling supply and management and cooling is taken care of as well then I think you'd run 0.5bar with the S/C on the standard engine with no problems....in fact this time next week I will be!! :winky:

allright, agree with that.

but on one side we have some standalone ecu costing some 1000 eur (circa) and up, doing a wonderful job but maybe a little overkill for just a little upgrade, while on the other we have a much more simple unit (camcon)much cheaper, of course with very limited fueling control abilities but maybe enough to handle that extra 0,2 bar... thats pretty much what I'm wondering at the moment. Any thoughts?

allright, agree with that.

but on one side we have some standalone ecu costing some 1000 eur (circa) and up, doing a wonderful job but maybe a little overkill for just a little upgrade, while on the other we have a much more simple unit (camcon)much cheaper, of course with very limited fueling control abilities but maybe enough to handle that extra 0,2 bar... thats pretty much what I'm wondering at the moment. Any thoughts?

No, the Camcon wouldn't be able to handle an extra 0.2bar increase on the charger! Realistically, neither will the standard injectors!! Besides, it's not just the fueling that you would need to adjust!

sure not the best solution I know, but I'm sure I've heard of people playing around with the fuel pressure regulator in order to backup a boost increase, now that can't be too precise either - that's why I though camcon could do the same in the IS...

But please remember i know nothing so I'm just letting thoughts flow

are you 100% sure Gord?? I say because i have spoken with Gerald at TTE ( the head engine guy) at some length about the SC setup etc ( gave me the size of the larger pully they tried also) and he has mentioned that the injectors are running at virtually the max cycle anyway.

If you wanting about 250bhp or upto 0.5 bar Rob, then yes, 3/4 turbo cars running about that with standard injectors. ok was :D

Injectors dont cost that much, about £60-£70 each :o its the setting up that cost's more :winky:

I wasn't aware you could alter fueling with a camcon??

Yup +/- 20% in 500rpm increments from 1000rpm up, it "ramps" the fueling between the set points to smooth out the steps.

If you wanting about 250bhp or upto 0.5 bar Rob, then yes, 3/4 turbo cars running about that with standard injectors. ok was :D

Injectors dont cost that much, about £60-£70 each :o its the setting up that cost's more :winky:

Surely they must have uprated ECU's and some sort of other fueling delivery uprgrades??

I was running .5 to .6 most times with my turbo setup, but i did have (Greddy E-manage ECU ) but then saying that i never had it mapped all the time i had the Turbo, i should have done but just never got round to doing it as it was running OK! , within aweek of fitting my Turbo i had it on rolling road, and it made 228 bhp, :winky:

Dont go doing what i did, get it setup on a dyno.......thats the only way to get it all working the way it should be,

The frist thing i will be doing when my V8 swap is done, is geting it on the dyno to set it all up........... :winky:

Surely they must have uprated ECU's and some sort of other fueling delivery uprgrades??

they do (both)