Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A True Hero

Fidgits

The word hero is thrown around so much nowadays, whether for some 17 year old sports hero, or someone who does something vaugly interesting for fun/charity/whatever.

however, after the US shooting, I read this, and this guy truely deserves the title 'hero'.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,91194-1261009,00.html

"Israel Professor Liviu Librescu, 75, blocked the doorway of a classroom from the approaching gunman, his son has said.

Students have sent e-mails to the mathematics lecturer's wife Marlena, telling of how he saved their lives.

Son Joe Librescu, in Tel Aviv, said: "My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee. Students started opening windows and jumping out.""

It sounds like he didnt make it out alive, but he was one brave man .

sadly there is so many of these psychopath's out there ,how long before this happens here .you have only got to look at the recent stabbings in london to see how bad it has become .we always follow america and i think this will be the same .

Israeli Professor Liviu Librescu was one of those people who makes the world a better place to live. His students owe him a great debt which obviously can never be repaid. Kind of puts all our petty wingeing moans about Lexus into perspective doesn't it?

That is the very definition of heroics.

The whole thing is horrible, but will US introduce gun control? Sadly not.

Gun control wont stop it mate all these people doing these school killings are using weapons brought on the black market, same as the guys running round london with guns they are bought on the black market.

We are just lucky some school kid over here aint found the right place to buy one otherwise we would have the samethings

True heros desever true recognition

That is the very definition of heroics.

The whole thing is horrible, but will US introduce gun control? Sadly not.

The problem with the US and guns is that the genie is well out the bottle now. Both sides are right - the anti-control lobby is right, factually at least, when it says that if people were routinely armed then the killer would have been killed himself before he could have shot so many innocent people. But the pro-control lobby are also right when they say that there would, overall, be less shootings if everyone honest was forced to hand in their weapons. So do you allow people to defend themselves and their families against the possibility of armed robbers (and in the US, they almost always are), or do you remove that element of 'safety' and at the same time prevent the possibility of that same weapon being used in a drunken rage by a husband against an unfaithful wife and her lover?

Tough call... The Swiss don't have this problem and many Swiss own guns, but then again, they're not Americans...

The Swiss don't have this problem and many Swiss own guns, but then again, they're not Americans...

:lol:

Leave a yank in an empty room it wont be long before he is fighting with himself.

He was a Romanian guy...........Mrs Prolex knows a bit about him ..survived the holocaust....to die like this

It is sad, but it also restores your faith in humanity.

I dont see the point in arguing about the gun control, it isnt going to change over there, and doubtless the NRA will hold a rally nearby the school very soon - but i dont care, what I care about is someone who knowingly gave his life so others could live.

Gun control wont stop it mate all these people doing these school killings are using weapons brought on the black market, same as the guys running round london with guns they are bought on the black market.

I think you will find this guy purchased the guin leagally through a reputable outlet.

This is the very definition of bravery are heroism. To lay down your life to protect someone else. I would like to have met him.

yup same here. There is an irony though in the fact he survived the holocaust only to then save a number of kids in this shooting. Makes you wonder.

and yes the shooter did buy the gun legally, and he was recommended psychiatric help on several occasions. I think the worst thing you could be in the US this week is a loner who plays GTA and likes rock music.

Madness, that's all I can say...I'm talking about both the incident and the gun laws in the states...

...and the git even sent photo's and videos part way through to a news agency. What a perverted individual.

As far as the professor is concerned - he was a true hero, if ever there was one.

On the one hand the college apparently did not allow guns in, yet this guy walked about for 2 hours heavily armed during this incident, and after the first episode they carried on with the curricular activities (as opposed to "lock down"). What a sham. Both the police and the college leaders have blood on their hands.