Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi Everyone,

Just registered today. No Lexus owner yet :blush: , but more and more impressed/interested in the IS. I currently have a Saab 93SS (MY06) :whistling: , which has key features I am looking for:

- Great look

- Fun to drive

- Rare

- Comfortable, both for front and back seat passengers

- Good trunck volume (we have two young dudes, hence the need for space, though not at all interested in SUV and the likes)

I found these in the Saab, though I also found less nice features (rattles, finish not the finest).

We don't see loads of IS around here, which is a good point for me (lesser for Lexus I guess), but the more I see it on the road, in real (rarely, again), the more I find it looks awesome.

But from the reviews and others, looks like the IS is not great in terms of either back seats space, nore trunk size. And what about the fun factor ?

Any one here to share some insights on the IS or even better, used to have a 93ss and can give his/her feeling about both cars ?

Thanks

PS : I originally posted this topic on the US forum, not knowing a UK existed. Sorry for those of you who already read it once over there.

I originally posted this topic on the US forum, not knowing a UK existed. Sorry for those of you who already read it once over there.

Welcome to LOC UK. I saw your post on the LOC USA forum and was tempted to ask why you hadn't posted on LOC Europe or UK, but assumed you were an ex-pat US in Belgium :unsure:

In answer to your questions, the trunk space in the IS isn't great and the rear seats don't fold. There's a small access behind the rear seat centre armrest which is convenient perhaps a snowboard or smaller. The legroom in the back isn't spacious by any means.

You already like the looks but can I ask why you are considering the 220D? It's more common than the 250 in Europe (Lexus aim to sell two 220D's for every 250 and I reckon they've already exceeded this target because of the fleet market). The gearing is suspect and seems to get more rattles than the 250. Perversely you get a manual gearbox with the diesel, but believe me it's less fun when compared to the IS250 auto. :whistling:

Hello there

I made the change from Saab 93 last summer and can highly recommend the switch.

Had looked hard at the new 93 Aero, but just did not stack up against the IS; primarily:

# Rear wheel drive - fantastic in the corners - even better than the Saab ReAxs rear wheel steering.

# Specification - the Saab trim levels here in Ireland are miserly, and even the Aero would need close to €3000 to match the SE spec

# Power - needs a harder push from standing than the Saab, but quickly surpasses it. Miss the turbo though...

# Consumption - currently getting 12l/100km (24mpg) - not hugely different to the 93 2.0t.

# Looks - IS is a hands-down winner and a head-turner.

# Exclusivity - Far too many 93s around Dublin now, with the introduction of the 1.8i model. The 2.5 attracts high insurance and tax here so relatively few around (even relative to the 220d)

Rattles, creaks, soft paint are still an issue on the IS, which I never had with the Saab, but this hasn't detracted sufficiently to make me reconsider.

Was disappointed with the Lexus customer service though - both dealer and workshop (for the rattles). Lexus prices - Toyota customer service.

Saab customer experiences were first class and could not be faulted.

In all, I think if you go Lexus, it will be a while before you look elsewhere.

P.

At the moment i cant compare the 2 properly but i will be able to soon

I have a SAAB 9-3 Vector 1.9TID which i have really like the past year but to e honest its the looks from the outside that let it down for me although its an awesome car to drive and I have driven all over europe in it and never once had a problem with it.

But im switching for a Lexus IS 220D which i pick up on 2nd may now :tsktsk: i was meant to get it on 17th but im busy that day and so ahve to wait extra few days.

I was gonna get another SAAB and was looking at some great deals but the looks and prestige of the lexus pulled me over, i have test driven the IS250 which was very nice but i couldnt squeeze the extra cash out at the moment to get it and went for the Deisel very gorgeus looking car and every day im jsut getting closer to picking it up i cant wait.

I recently changed (just over a month ago) from a SAAB 93 Aero (2.0T) with all the kit (Xenon's, electric everything, in-dash 6 CD, Cruise etc etc) to an IS250 Sport Multimedia and I must say I should never have bought the SAAB (changed to it from an IS200).

I found the SAAB fast (too fast, which is one of the reasons I got rid) and reliable but the ride was a bit harsh and it rattled like a pensioner's teeth on a cold day (the other reason for getting rid). It ate front tyres for breakfast too, what with 210bhp going through the driven and steering wheels. SAAB customer service was OK, but not as good as Lexus as you would expect.

With the IS250 I've had 1 problem (creaky seat) which was fixed without question, quickly and efficiently by Lexus Bolton. It's a joy to drive, quiet as a dead door mouse and the sound system is the best on the market IMHO. As already noted, the boot is smaller than the SAAB and the rear seats don't fold, but in all the time I had my SAAB I never filled the boot (and I have a 4 yr old aswell).

In summary ... forget SAAB ... go for the Lexus

I had the 2.2TD Vector model for a weekend a few years ago.

All I can say is, bad ride, poor build and a very noisy diesel engine. It was and felt like a car from an inferior planet, and though it looks smart, I would never ave one again. Even the 95 is a bit poor compared to a Lexus (though clearly much bigger in every department).

Didn't like the Monkey nipple air vents

I had the 2.2TD Vector model for a weekend a few years ago.

:lol: The 2.2 is terrible, the newer 1.9's are much better.

I've gone from Lexus IS200 to Saab 9-3 Aero and then back to Lexus, Saab was good enough, very comfy and good at cruising but I didn't notice a huge drop in space compared to the 220. Reliability was the biggest plus for me, the Saab was truly shocking with pretty much the whole car being replaced bit by bit (some pieces two or three times). Now back to trouble free and loving it. With the amount of Saab's that are running around as well since they started offering it at good prices(my first was a '52 so rare but was given a new one on '03 by Saab as the first was so crap :blink: ) I'm glad to be back in something a bit rarer

I've had a 9-3 built '99 (not a sport sedan though) and afterall Saab has been a bad experience: the buttons break of the dashboard when your turn them, I've had numerous technical problems with it... Basically the first three years were good but then after that things went from bad to worse. I will never drive a Saab again. The looks of the Sport Sedan are great, but that won't do it for me anymore...

Proud IS220D Standard (+17") leaser, but my next car will be a IS220D Executive (new gear box, drive is more "natural").

Edit:

Rich Bee, "pretty much the whole car being replaced bit by bit" : sounds very familiar.

Whoaw, what a great forum !

Lots of reply and sound ones too. Thanks to all of you !

Tango : Nope, not an expat. Fully agree, but as a company car, it has to be a diesel. And indeed, I'm very sorry that I can't get the auto with the diesel. Though from what I read in some review, it is in the roadmap ? So maybe by the time my current leasing is done, it is available :winky:

Peccable: Very much appreciate the detailed comparison, though today, I still prefere the 93ss looks, but as I mentionned, the IS is growing on me :P . What is it with rattles :tsktsk: It is driving me crazy every day. As soon as I fix one, another one pops up... and from your experience, looks like the IS won't ease my pain... unless Mark Levinson makes them all go away :lol:

GarrethParry: Let me know how's the car when you get it. I understand your anticipation, felt like a kid again when I had to wait for the Saab (used to drive a Peugeot 406- very good, but not "X factor")

Bernie_the_bolt: Sounds like you arguments are down to those that matters also to me.

Jambo: 2.2TiD was an old Opel diesel, which I fully agree was a big mistake. The 1.9 are great, like Rich_bee mentioned. And the ride is the best for me yet, compared to what I drove so far, of course. Air vents also scared me at first, but, hey, I believe there is never a 100% perfect car.

Rich_Bee: In my experience (2 years, 90000 km), I only had the button for the handglove replaced twice because it peeled (yes, twice :yawn: ). Looks like it is holding now. Share your feeling about uniqueness.

Koenarinho: I read in the Saab forum that indeed the Saab in the years around 2000 were the worst, thanks of course to GM. But the 93ss really improved. About the gear box, is it only the executive wich get the "fixed" gearbox ?

Again,

Thanks all for your replies! The saab forum was really helping, and it is reassuring to see that this one can be too.

@austinp

The dealer confirmed that only the Executive gets the new gear box. Wonder why, it has nothing to do with something that is only a part of the Executive, but it's engine-related. Both executive and business have the same engine, so why make the distinction?

Koenardinho,

So you have the "old" gear box. Is it really a pain ?

Also, did you get the Mark Levinson ? Is it ok ? If you have the "basic" system (not so basic from the specs), what is it like ? I'm cautious when it comes to what is said on paper: on the Saab, it is the most outrageous system ever. It was so bad, I eventually had to take action and changed 4 out of the 7 speakers to get a decent sound... yet far below from what a 700€ options ought in my opinion to deliver.

CooperS,

Looks like you are quite up to date. You're right and from the shots seen so far, it makes me wonder if the the car will eventually look better or worst :yawn:

I actually have the luxury of not having to care about resell value for it, given it is a company car under leasing. But thanks for the warning. Again, another example of excellent members community in this forum :D

Rush & Jamboo,

You're both right. The base is the shared opel/vauxhall vectra (also shared with Cadillac BLS) and the engine is the one initially developed by Fiat, also found on the Alpha as the JTD.

But of course, all this has been tuned and jet-imporved by the Saab engineers :winky:

Whoaw, what a great forum !

GarrethParry: Let me know how's the car when you get it. I understand your anticipation, felt like a kid again when I had to wait for the Saab (used to drive a Peugeot 406- very good, but not "X factor")

Again,

Thanks all for your replies! The saab forum was really helping, and it is reassuring to see that this one can be too.

Picked it up last week and drove home 400 miles and jesus ***** is that a comfortable car it wsa bloody awesome.

Sat between 60 and 80 all the way and mostly in 6th geat no probems when getting down to 60 in 6th gear it was fine Avg fuel consumption at the end was 47mpg which was quite impressive for me cause the SAAB used to get about 50 MPG ish when on long journeys.

Not only that it would have been brought down by the fact that i sat at 130mph on 2 occasions for about 5 mins just to see what it was like cruising that speed and it was magic.

Loads less wind noise from the lexus than the SAAB more comfortable ride, standard steroe is friggin excelleng conpared with the SAAB one which was pretty crap.

My only niggle was that the rear view mirror was vibrating, so when i got back i spoke to my dealer who said its not the car its cause the speaker on rear parcel shelf, So i went out for a drive turned stereo off and he was right no vibration at all, thats with BASS on 0 so thats a little bit of a design fault but hey who cares what a great purchase so far so good.

Had the 13 speakers on the SAAB mate and that was ok as car systems go that but this Mark Levinsons system (Dont know if i spelt that right) in the lexus is as good if not better than my surround sound in the living room and there is so much control over it easy customisation and stuff on it, pluss theres the AUx to plug MP3 in which is another good idea.