Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Short Shift

Hi All.

I have purchased a B&M short shift off a member on this forum and received it today!

Coming to install it this afternoon (not long ago). i felt its abit strange.

Firstly, the stick is facing towards passenger side and it feels loose and there are movements before i shift it into first gear?

Secondly, it makes quite abit of metal knocking noise in nutural.

are the above points normal?

DSC00441.jpg

Hi All.

I have purchased a B&M short shift off a member on this forum and received it today!

Coming to install it this afternoon (not long ago). i felt its abit strange.

Firstly, the stick is facing towards passenger side and it feels loose and there are movements before i shift it into first gear?

Secondly, it makes quite abit of metal knocking noise in nutural.

are the above points normal?

DSC00441.jpg

Looks like you might have put it in the wrong way round mate.

If i remember, it has a slit bend on the shaft, your look like its bending to the left, when should be bending rear.

The metal noise is normal.

i tried ages to fit it into the right place and thats the way it went in as, so i assume its at the right direction.

or it can be fitted on the way round too?

All i can remember, is that when i fitted mine, the shaft bent to the rear.

I did change it later for the TRD one.

but the throw between gears are really short that i need to get used to it.

thats why its a short shifter

Now thats funny :lol::lol:

LOL

I know what its called mate! lol. all i meant was, there are a huge difference. Used to have them on other cars but they don't seems to be "this" short! :lol:

but the throw between gears are really short that i need to get used to it.

thats why its a short shifter

Now thats funny :lol::lol:

LOL

I know what its called mate! lol. all i meant was, there are a huge difference. Used to have them on other cars but they don't seems to be "this" short! :lol:

what parts do u need to get this short shift? n where did u get it from?

I have the TRD one fitted and the throw isn't as short as the B&M one.

Are you sure that it is still fitted correctly as looking at the pic it is still leaning and I'm pretty sure that when I drove Gords old car, when he had the B&M fitted the gear stick was straight as it is normally. Assuming that its in neutral in your pic?

It is supposed to lean towards the driver - you can't really tell from the driver seat but it's more obvious from the passenger side - have to admit I never checked it from the rear seat like you have in your pics though!

i also have the B&M shortshift, looks about right to me, think mine leans towards the driver.

I love driving it witht the new shorter shift, the girlfriend hates it and refuses to drive the car.......shame that :lol::lol::lol:

Jason :P

It is supposed to lean towards the driver - you can't really tell from the driver seat but it's more obvious from the passenger side - have to admit I never checked it from the rear seat like you have in your pics though!

I didn't go round to the back and take the photo. i left the camera on the arm rest and took the shot.

so far its okay but it does make abit of noise sometimes but think its normal?

i also have the B&M shortshift, looks about right to me, think mine leans towards the driver.

I love driving it witht the new shorter shift, the girlfriend hates it and refuses to drive the car.......shame that :lol::lol::lol:

Thats a good excause for the other half not to touch the car!!!! :lol:

Yeah the extra noise is normal, think Barrie worked around this by applying silicon sealant and that blocks the noise better :)

First time I fitted mine I never lubed it and the thing was unbelievably tight, literally two hands on the gear stick to change it, some of the guys who tried it up at the Manchester meet when Mat was touring might remember how bad it was!

lol. where did u guys get the short shift from? prices? thx