Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My LS400 is a 1999 series 4 with the dynamic handling pack this lowered the suspension and puts on larger wheels/tyres 245/50 x 17. I have read ALL the posts on this topic ..quite informative.

I have been planning a new set of wheels for several reasons:-

1. Tyres worn out

2. Only supplier for my current size tyre is Pirelli at £200 each total £800

3. I'm on 245/50 x 17 factory sport pack fitted .. standard for Lexus is 225/50 x 16

4. This set means suspension bumpier, roadnoise greater.

5. Price for new smaller wheels & tyres is £600...therefore no brain required.

6. I also then get improved sound damping,wet grip and mpg.

Nevertheless, I must say it does hold the corners v well.

I ordered and had delivered a set from Rochford Wheels near Southend and prior had them chat with the manufacturer to ensure they would fit …Sadly despite assurances; they didn’t. So they’ve had to go back.

This forced me into just fitting 4 tyres ( 225/50 x 17 Extra Load ...£93 each ) on the original wheels cos I had a 300 mile trip to do.

So I am continuing to look now for 17" new wheels ... thing is:- what is my offet 45 or 50 ?

It was the size of the brake calipers that resulted inthe new wheels not fitting. So I'm a little nervous.

So I'm looking for a multi spoke style wheel ( 12 or so ) in silver.

Also conscious that some wheels stick put out from the tyre wall and so offer themselves, rather too easily, for kerbing/scuffing any suggestion what makes to avoid?

But need to guarantee the offset 50 or 45 ?

Any advice and or piccys gratefully rec'd.

Thanks

Hi Jim

Have you considered a different size of tyre on the DHP wheel?

I am running a standard 98 LS400 with DHP wheels fitted with 225/55/17 tyres.

This keeps the overall circumference the same but give a much better ride compared with the 245/50/17 that were fitted when I bought the car.

This size is available from a wide range of tyre manufactures. Dunlop, bridgestone, yokohama, goodyear Etc and is a lot less expensive.

Wacko

Hi Jim

This keeps the overall circumference the same but give a much better ride compared with the 245/50/17 that were fitted when I bought the car.

This size is available from a wide range of tyre manufactures. Dunlop, bridgestone, yokohama, goodyear Etc and is a lot less expensive.

Wacko

Excuse the hi jack for a second, but do you have any pics of your car Wacko. I'd be interested to see what your wheels look like.

Back to Jim's thread......

Hi Jim

Wacko

Yes I had to do just that and fitted Kumho 225/50 x 17 Extra Load ...£93 each... cos I was in a rush ... the old tyres were on the wire!

Now I'm wanting to know what my offset is so i can reliably order a new set of alloys and refit the Kumhos to them.

Hi Jim

I went through all sorts of problems when I was looking for 17" wheels for my old LS 400.

Like you I ordered a set online and was assured by the vendor (Edworthys) that they would fit ok.

Although I did not have a problem with physically fitting them it turned out they caught on the wheel arches whilst driving.

I presume this was because the offset was incorrect.

I managed to obtain a full refund and was lucky to buy a set of wheels and tyres off eBay which had come off another LS.

The offset for these was 50 if that helps.

I'd be interested to know which wheels you ordered from Rochford as I've been looking at their site with a view to upgrading to a set of 18's for my Ls430.

Steve

Hi Barney

Sorry for the delay but I cant upload a picture, keep getting an error message. PC problem at my end I think.

Best I can do is a link to the same year as mine with the same wheels on autotrader. Hope this helps.

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/CARS_...rgeId=519045181

Thanks Wacko, pm sent.

did you get this sorted?

I bought a set of 18's with 235 35 tyres with 45 offset, these has been on a soarer import before and fitt my S1 perfectly without any steering lock rubbing, don't have the suspension lowered though.

Official off set is 45, 50 should not have made that much difference. :duh:

did you get this sorted?

I bought a set of 18's with 235 35 tyres with 45 offset, these has been on a soarer import before and fitt my S1 perfectly without any steering lock rubbing, don't have the suspension lowered though.

No havent got an offical offset number that I trust ( given my earlier probs) I asked Lexus and they washed their hands o f it by saying they have nothing on the DHP version!

did you get this sorted?

No havent got an offical offset number that I trust ( given my earlier probs) I asked Lexus and they washed their hands o f it by saying they have nothing on the DHP version!

Or just to be certain, you could measure it yourself, like I did click me! and found out it was actually stamped on the inside as well.

Success!

RX-Men-8

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links