Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Sat Nav Housing

Moffet

Hey guys, need some help!

I bought a motorised sat nav housing from Kazi a while back (although haven't actually got the chance to test it yet!) and now I've manged to get hold of a Xenarc 7" screen. :D

I obviously want to fit the screen in the housing but it is the old style housing which is 6" instead of the newer style 7" housing. People have said it is possible to "trim" it to fit but it looks like a pretty tight squeeze even if I do (little worried about doing it neatly too :blush: ).

My cunning ploy :shifty: is to buy the 7" fascia part from the dealer which should allow the screen to fit without modification to the housing (so I'm LED to believe). Does anyone know if the new fascia will fit with the old mounting/motor/lid?

If this is not the case can anyone tell me the best way to trim the old one without messing it up? :unsure:

TIA

hi moffet, think when i asked lexus sometime last year the price for the housing thing by itself

was £stupid.

so i decided to do a cut n shut jobbie on mine.

not finished it yet, but i basically sanded the surround down, and cut the front 'legs'

surrounding the screen and the back panel, and am in the process of extending them.

(got loads of uni work so still not finished it, even tho i started last year!) :blush:

image035mi7.jpg

image036io0.jpg

image037sw9.jpg

image038mu8.jpg

I know it still looks a little rough, but when i've finished sanding it and painting it should look good(i hope!).

I've got a 7" lilliput touchscreen which is a bit larger than yours, but fits in snugly with the changes.

And i can use the buttons at the bottom too.

Hope this helps!

Ps dremel drill really helps! :winky:

After trying a lot of stuff, including polyfilla :lol: i found some stuff called polymorph from maplins

which is basically plastic you can melt in hot water and mould.

i spread it across the two halves of ma back panel at the distance i wanted then waited for it to harden.

i used that as a mould and put layers of fibreglass to build up the gap. once it was thick enough i stuck it in the middle of my 2 pieces and fibreglassed it some more.

i just kept on building it up till it was the right thickness and tough enough to hold everything in place.

The top most layer is p38 cos i run out of fibreglass, and i had that stuff left over. :blush:

Plus its easier to sand! :lol:

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks mate. I was only talking about buying the plastic bit that the screen shows through, not the entire unit. Haven't got a price though, was just wondering if it will fit.

Was your's the 6" or 7" screen housing before you started? I guess if you're keeping the buttons then you will be keeping the original surround also. With mine I have had to remove the surround of the screen and just put the screen in the sat nav housing, and even then I'm not sure it will fit (height is a problem, width will be perfect).

How tall is your screen? Mine is 125mm with the surround, wheras the front of the sat nav housing is only 100mm (don't have it in bits to measure exactly though. Not sure how I'm going to fit the in without removing the screen from it's surround!

Any pics of the screen in place?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have the wiring diagram for the Sat Nav housing connector? I only seem to have the LHD diagram or the more modern one whichever seems to have two connectors.

I just need to know which wires on it are used for +12V, ACC and GROUND to get the thing to work!

Any help would be great!

Anyone have the wiring diagram for the Sat Nav housing connector? I only seem to have the LHD diagram or the more modern one whichever seems to have two connectors.

I just need to know which wires on it are used for +12V, ACC and GROUND to get the thing to work!

Any help would be great!

Try a multimeter mate, they work wonders :)

Try a multimeter mate, they work wonders :)

Can't, mate. It's not wired into anything at the moment! Just have the plug with the wires cut off a short way down.

• 1 month later...

I'm still trying to find out which wires on the sat nav plug are used for +12V, ACC and GROUND. Someone must have the wiring diagram somewhere?

Anybody... :question:

That's the one I have the wiring diagrams for (7" housing from LHD) but mine is the 6" RHD one. Mine only has one connector whereas that one has two and it seems there are different diagrams for the LHD and RHD ones - in the diagrams I have the pages are missing for the RHD sat nav!