Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Problems With New Head Unit

ive searched the forums for nearly an hour now to no avail trying and find some help as im not getting any power to my new head unit.

ive read this thread: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=36144&hl= and purchased the lead recommended in it. however its not working, and im about ready to test the aerial abilities of the new head unit. :crybaby:

just wondering if anyone new what each of the coloured cables do in the car were as they're not Red Black and Yellow as id have thought they would be.

Please help as ive been without sound whilst driving for over a week now and its unbearable :crying:

ive searched the forums for nearly an hour now to no avail trying and find some help as im not getting any power to my new head unit.

ive read this thread: http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...c=36144&hl= and purchased the lead recommended in it. however its not working, and im about ready to test the aerial abilities of the new head unit. :crybaby:

just wondering if anyone new what each of the coloured cables do in the car were as they're not Red Black and Yellow as id have thought they would be.

Please help as ive been without sound whilst driving for over a week now and its unbearable :crying:

So there is no power at all going to the new Hu or its flickering on for a split second and then going off?

With mine the red and yellow wires on the HU have small connectors half way down the wire, i had to connect the red to the yellow and yellow to red, does that make sense?

what headunit do you have?

not sure bout the s models, but on mine (se) the live is a blue/yellow colour,

ignition is grey, and earth is brown.

maybe you could bypass the lead you bought and wire the h/u up directly and see if it works.

So there is no power at all going to the new Hu or its flickering on for a split second and then going off?

With mine the red and yellow wires on the HU have small connectors half way down the wire, i had to connect the red to the yellow and yellow to red, does that make sense?

makes perfect sense! tried it already though.

what headunit do you have?

not sure bout the s models, but on mine (se) the live is a blue/yellow colour,

ignition is grey, and earth is brown.

maybe you could bypass the lead you bought and wire the h/u up directly and see if it works.

its an Alpine CDE-9850Ri

ill see what colours are in the car now.

didnt really want to wire directly as id have to leave the unit in when i sell it, which is what i had to do with my old HU which was another Alpine but twice as good at twice the price.

also, would anyone know where the fuse is just to check it.

As far as i know (on a se model at least), the wires should connect as below

yellow h/u wire - blue/yellow car wire

red h/u wire - grey car wire

black h/u wire - brown car wire

check the wires in the connecting plugs line up as above.

think the fuse box is the long 1 near the Battery, but think there are 2 fuses, radio 1 and radio 2.

both are 20a. second 1 is at the drivers footwell. these are just guesses i got from a diagram, but sure some one will let you know.

on the diagram, the no2 fuse at the drivers footwell is the middle of the bottom row.

the no1 fuse is the 3rd one from the top in the engine bay, nearest the Battery.

if u bought the wiring harness that connects a normal iso cable to the lexus cables it should all be wired up correct

deffo check all the fuses if still no power

plug old radio back in see if that works if it does the cable must be wired wrong ? / new radio not workin ?

sure did buddy my car is now back to 100% standard lamp wise apart from swapped the blue leds out of the doors with 9led red versions

got loads of them 1w 180degree ones now like 7 left over lol if any one wants em cheap

if u bought the wiring harness that connects a normal iso cable to the lexus cables it should all be wired up correct

deffo check all the fuses if still no power

plug old radio back in see if that works if it does the cable must be wired wrong ? / new radio not workin ?

checked both fuses, 1 under the bonnet, and 1 on drivers side behide that kick plate thing next to the pedals..... both fine. :unsure:

new unit does have a fuse, but its fine also. tried an ISO from motor world too and still nowt! the new unit does work though! had a mate pug it into the display at motor world and it powered up fine.

bret's gunna have a look tonight so just have to wait and see. :)

does the old uni work tho if u plug that in like the orignal set up ??

well weird problem lol if u hav tried to cables im out of ideas

it did. when Bret and I were looking after work he comented that the aerial wasnt plugged in before the unit powered up, but the conector in the car was too big to fit into the one on the Alpine. He said it could be some Jap way of getting laugh's lol

Off i went to motor-world and £2.99 later we had lift off!! The freeking aerial is a ground wire!?!? :blush:

Anyway, HU is in, just waiting until mid next week to get my second sub and a new amp and it'll be done. Then it's a case of finding out how you post picture in the forum :lol:

Thanks for your help guys, and Brett, lunch is on me again on Friday. :winky:

but on mine i had the aerial unplugged for about 3 months the headunit ran off the iso alone ???

weeeird lol

too wierd :) and needles as i could have had it working 2 days earlier :blush:

Alpine unit looks mint in the RED illumination btw, breaks up the orange perfectly!

its a CDE-9850Ri if anyone's looking for a new unit that looks the part. Around £190 with an iPod lead that goes into the rear bus port (can also be used as an aux-in and multi-changer port). Sound quality is better than all the other unit's i considered putting into the car too B)

I like a free lunch :)

and people say there's no such thing.

Glad it's working anyway :)

not as glad as me!

Anyway, what you doing on here in work hours!? I'm telling on you, on second thoughts i do probably spend more time on the net than anyone else at work, so i'll let it slide this time :lol:

cheers for your help with it all mate, i do appreciate it.

got any other audio plans ?

mine at the moment is well i swapped 2 blue leds for a motorola a1000 and its got a fat screen on it been playin with it alot over past few days and put some mint mp3 software on it, so gonna put it in the car with a 2gig flash card in it and plug it into the aux in on my panasonic headunit and use that as the "cd player"

no more eating cds no more refinding its place on some bumps and should look mint lol

got any other audio plans ?

mine at the moment is well i swapped 2 blue leds for a motorola a1000 and its got a fat screen on it been playin with it alot over past few days and put some mint mp3 software on it, so gonna put it in the car with a 2gig flash card in it and plug it into the aux in on my panasonic headunit and use that as the "cd player"

no more eating cds no more refinding its place on some bumps and should look mint lol

of course there's more to come :D

not sure weather to leave in the stock 6x9's or swap them for my 300w infinity's?? depends on how big a task it is to take old ones out!

got a 10'' Alpine Type E to go in the ski hole (might as well get some use out of it as it'll never see ski's) :lol:

that will be mounted on the opposite side of a custom box to the 12'' Alpine Type R (taken from my previous car) runs a very sexy 1500w peak and 500w rms.

both powered by my yet to purchase Alpine 4 channel Amp!

im all hot and bothered now :o *** damn weather, think i should turn the air-con on. :lol:

yeah weather is mint i was getting annoyed with all the rain but now tis all mint and hot nothing more i wanna do then jump in the car n go cruising about droolin over the half dressed ladys LOL (untill a tyre pops)

red keep with the theme

i totally conveted my car to blue but 2days was bored n had to put it all back wich was a pain in the asssss lol

i did the blue light conversion with my last car, but never got fed up with it.mind you it was alot easier than doing it to the lex, so Brett's told us. something to do with the bulbs wearing jonny's. :lol:

just added the parrat to the dash tonight too. another assist for the artist formally known as bretty six brake lights. :lol: