Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Water Goes In Through Glass And Trim

I have a problem, and i don't know if someone has this problem too and if it is solved.

When i wash my car, i use a "karcher" (pressurized water). If i put the tip of my hose near the corner of the door i would get water through the weathre strip inside my car.

My dealer has changed the 4 wheather strip of the windows at door, but i have the same problem. In the rear doors the problem is worse, the rear seat get a lot of water drops (i don't have photo of this).

DSC00193.jpg

Does someone how can i solve it?

I think that this problem causes the B pillar wind noise, becuase if the presurized water goes through the weather strip, the air could goes through more easy when i drive at 120km/h or more. What do you think?

put the tip of the hose on the glass not in the paint. Water goes in through the glass and the trim where the glass goes up and down, not in the weather strip of door. Exactly, water goes in through the upper corner of window and the upper edge too.

I don't put presurized water directly on the paint

I have a problem, and i don't know if someone has this problem too and if it is solved.

When i wash my car, i use a "karcher" (pressurized water). If i put the tip of my hose near the corner of the door i would get water through the weathre strip inside my car.

My dealer has changed the 4 wheather strip of the windows at door, but i have the same problem. In the rear doors the problem is worse, the rear seat get a lot of water drops (i don't have photo of this).

DSC00193.jpg

Does someone how can i solve it?

I think that this problem causes the B pillar wind noise, becuase if the presurized water goes through the weather strip, the air could goes through more easy when i drive at 120km/h or more. What do you think?

put the tip of the hose on the glass not in the paint. Water goes in through the glass and the trim where the glass goes up and down, not in the weather strip of door. Exactly, water goes in through the upper corner of window and the upper edge too.

I don't put presurized water directly on the paint

So let me get this straight, you're firing high pressure water at 120+ bar at the seals of your Lexus and you're surprised some goes through?

You'll be surprised the water's wet next.

P.S If you look at the instructions of your Karcher it suggests you avoid using it on vehicles from close range.

yeah, i know, but my car has "b pillar wind nose" problem, and i think that is due to air goes through this trim, cause water goes through air goes through easily inside the car and mekes the annoying noise when you drive at 120 km/h or up.

It was only a proof for b pillar wind noise problem.

yeah, i know, but my car has "b pillar wind nose" problem, and i think that is due to air goes through this trim, cause water goes through air goes through easily inside the car and mekes the annoying noise when you drive at 120 km/h or up.

It was only a proof for b pillar wind noise problem.

Yes, but to apply your logic, if you had a problem with stone chips would you point your pressure washer at the paintwork, blast off a foot square section of paint and say "There, I told you so."?

It's never a good a idea to se a pressure washer for washing anything other than a boat or a lorry.

The high pressure will not just get into the car through seals, but can damage your tyre sidewalls, get into the headlamps (!) as get "under" stone chips and flake paint off.

You're probably right in that you have a door seal problem, and this might make it easir for the water to get in. Mine had the problem - new seals and it went away!

Stick to a normal hose pipe!

Firstly, as previously / expertly advised, don't aim your pressure washer at your glass runs / door seals, and if you feel you do have to use it, be very careful!

There is one way to prove for certain if this is your wind noise source (I know you have this problem already :winky: ). Take some sellotape and tape over your glass-runs, ensuring that you effectively seal your glass to the door frame.

Then take the car for a spin, and if your noise has gone, be confident you've found the point of cause. Stop the vehicle and remove the tape (this won't harm your paint-work) and if you drive at speed and hear the noise return, then be certain youve found it. If you can switch the problem on and off at your command, you're very close to solving the problem.

If that's the case, I suggest you then go to the dealer who should fix it for you. It might not necessarily be the glass run, but the position of the glass with respect to the door frame (possibly set slightly forwards), usually caused by its location to the window regulator plate at its fixing point. Could be a couple of other things too, but again, your dealer should be able to fix it for you.

Regards,

Mark.

Which are the other "couple of things"? I ask to you, because my dealer is very quickly solving my problem. We don't know why you get this noise, it must be caused by the big size of the mirrors and the problem is solved. They don't bother for this problem. I know more persons with this problem an of of them get the same answer to the problem. In Madrid, there are 4 dealers, and 3 of them are the same. I've tried all of them with the same answer. They said that Lexus Spain don't know the origin of this problem, and i would like to find it. The noise is very annoying when you drive more than 50 kilometers in highway at 120 kn/h.

Thanks

... the other couple of things were related to the position of the glass.

The glass location holes in the regulator plate may not be in the design intended position as a function of volume production variation.

Secondly, if the door inner panel is not optimally related to the outer panel, the whole regulator assembly could be positioned slightly forwards again.

The quick check for both of the above is to confirm the gap between the glass front and rear edges to the door frame inner surfaces.

Did you try the tape test?

I took the mirrors 'out of play', but you can still get the wind noise at 80 mph+, so I don't think they are the reason.

Let me know how you go on; good luck!

Mark

"Did you try the tape test?"

I'll try the tape test now. I'll tape all windows. The first time only i tape the driver window and the wind noise was there, because i've the noise in the passenger side too. Today it is rain in Madrid, but when I will try i'll post the results.

Thanks

"Did you try the tape test?"

I'll try the tape test now. I'll tape all windows. The first time only i tape the driver window and the wind noise was there, because i've the noise in the passenger side too. Today it is rain in Madrid, but when I will try i'll post the results.

Thanks

I taped the border of all windows and the noise reduced about 60%. I'll go to my dealer.