Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Single Turbo Upgrade.

ThomasVertex

I'd say something around a 61mm Turbo would be a good bet in terms of a good compromise between lag & power. Should give you about 500bhp safely. Also tuning is also a major part of how quick the turbo spools and how much power you make...I'm sure just about everybody would recommend a HKS F-CON V Pro for that purpose...not to mention the kind of manifold you go with.

If you go with a log type manifold (ie: similar to stock), then you'll gain spool BUT sacrifice top end power. Whereas if you go with a tubular manifold you'll gain power across the band (most at top tho) at the sacrifice of a teeny bit of spool (that's the general concensus).

Also with a single, not to put you off, but a fuel system upgrade would be required also (new pump/injectors/fuel lines(?)/rail(?))

Having said that I'd personally go for a 61mm turbo, and if possible in DBB too.

Thanks for the info skeet,do you happen to know if I can work with a turbo kit for the U.S.NON VVTI SUPRA Engine,will those kits work with the VVTI ENGINE in my car?(those are easier to come by for me).

For the ECU I was thinking of the GREDDY E-MAGE ULTIMATE ,you think that'll work?

I'd say something around a 61mm Turbo would be a good bet in terms of a good compromise between lag & power. Should give you about 500bhp safely. Also tuning is also a major part of how quick the turbo spools and how much power you make...I'm sure just about everybody would recommend a HKS F-CON V Pro for that purpose...not to mention the kind of manifold you go with.

If you go with a log type manifold (ie: similar to stock), then you'll gain spool BUT sacrifice top end power. Whereas if you go with a tubular manifold you'll gain power across the band (most at top tho) at the sacrifice of a teeny bit of spool (that's the general concensus).

Also with a single, not to put you off, but a fuel system upgrade would be required also (new pump/injectors/fuel lines(?)/rail(?))

Having said that I'd personally go for a 61mm turbo, and if possible in DBB too.

No problems Thomas - I've no experience with the E-Manage Ultimate, although I hear they work extremely well in the Supra world? Think that requires more research. Personally I'd go for a F-Con V Pro ... as it's just a set and forget type of management system where the E-Manage is user configurable (as i understand it). Then agani as I said I don't have experience or knowledge about the E-Manage Ultimate as such.

The US Kits "should" work, but then I'm not sure if the actual manifolds would "match" up to the bolt pattern on the block. I'll send you a PM later on today or something :).

• 2 months later...

Speak to rallure on here he has manufactured an aristo specific down pipe and manifold and indeed has a full single turbo mechanical side kit you could buy from him. Basically if you research the single turbo either on the US supra site (there's alot of BS goes on over there) or the UK one you'll find a multitude of opinions on big singles.

My experience of an older HKS T61 is this

It spools OK but no-where near as useable as BPU power if you drive alot in towns.

Top end power is obviously higher than BPU and is a big rush but how often you get to use that power I don't know (things get very illegal very quickly when you plant it)

They are never 100% right. There is always some sort of issue or other with the extra power, the tuning, the old "whats that noise" paranoia is always present.

Also before going single be very aware your drivetrain and braking will need looking at and to a certain degree your handling.

• 3 weeks later...
Guys,I own a 1998 V300 Aristo,did all the basic BPU's.My next step will deff. be a single turbo upgade,but have no clew which one to get.Can somebody help me out please?

Your Vertex ( I presume Mk.2 2JZ-GTE Mk.iv engine) will take up to 450hp on stock turbos. Although longevity is debatable. That is a boost level of 1.2bar.

If you do go for a kit, you want an HKS type which is rated to 550hp. You want the kit because otherwise the wastegate etc. is not correct. Just changing the turbo won't be as efficient.

Remember at 550hp, your turbo will be a bit laggy especially with the auto-box. I would not get a turbo rated to above 550hp with the auto box.

Downsides - you'll wear out your gearbox faster as it's only rated to a reliable 400hp. You'll need fuel pumps, bigger injectors, fuel controller and boost controller if you haven't got one. You'll also need a medium sized intercooler too (run the stock intercooler and you will kill your new 550hp rated turbo).

Your power band will start most probably around 4500rpm and peaking at 6500rpm. That means it's all-or-nothing power delivery.

Guys,I own a 1998 V300 Aristo,did all the basic BPU's.My next step will deff. be a single turbo upgade,but have no clew which one to get.Can somebody help me out please?

Your Vertex ( I presume Mk.2 2JZ-GTE Mk.iv engine) will take up to 450hp on stock turbos. Although longevity is debatable. That is a boost level of 1.2bar.

If you do go for a kit, you want an HKS type which is rated to 550hp. You want the kit because otherwise the wastegate etc. is not correct. Just changing the turbo won't be as efficient.

Remember at 550hp, your turbo will be a bit laggy especially with the auto-box. I would not get a turbo rated to above 550hp with the auto box.

Downsides - you'll wear out your gearbox faster as it's only rated to a reliable 400hp. You'll need fuel pumps, bigger injectors, fuel controller and boost controller if you haven't got one. You'll also need a medium sized intercooler too (run the stock intercooler and you will kill your new 550hp rated turbo).

Your power band will start most probably around 4500rpm and peaking at 6500rpm. That means it's all-or-nothing power delivery.

Erm the power delivery on a T61 isn't that bad, mine starts coming in at about 3000-ish and is on-song good and proper from 4000 rpm. I agree about the box though on a mk1 dunno if the 2 is a different box. I have to say with an auto box you will not get as much as you would hope for out of a single turbo. I would suggest that a fuel pump that will handle BPU ie walbro will also be OK for a smaller single, but yes a bigger set of injectors ie 650cc will be required and a way of controlling them also (this is where stuff gets complicated and expensive and for that matter problematic).

You will obviously need an aftermarket manifold and I am not sure the mk4 supra one bolts straight on but you have a choice here again of a cast one (guy called arnout in holland makes these) or a welded tube (which is significantly cheaper), either type though will have provision for bolting on a wastegate (I am hearing good things about Tial now but again there is a wide variety of budget options here).

Intercooling you will require an upgrade yes, Chris wilson a guy on the mk4 forum manufactures uprated SMIC's for the mk4 and I am sure he could modify one for the aristo (these are rated to above 500 horses so more than adequate for a small single and you can keep the stock airbox which is a very good thing)

The stock tubbies however run all day and all night at 1.2 bar BPU over on the supra forums in both the UK and USA and from someone that squeezed all there was from a set of stock tubbies and now has a small single I would say stick with the stockers, fit water injection and higher lift cams to squeeze the most you can from the car and leave it at that. Time off the road and constant hassle with tuning and fixing parts that can't take the power is a real ball ache for a car that you just can't legally use the power of.

Good post Brian.................

I'm not sure what to do next...stay with twins..big single............I dont want lag but want more power...........guy @ Time attack has a t61 on his soop and says its fine from 3000 rpm >

I'm not sure what to do next...stay with twins..big single............I dont want lag but want more power...........guy @ Time attack has a t61 on his soop and says its fine from 3000 rpm >

If you want more power without lag, then you have 3 options

- anti-lag kit, anti-lag turbos (about 4-5K per turbo)...short life expectancy

- fit 3.4 litre bottom end and cams + HKS turbo kit. This should give you a linear power graph, some guy did it in the USA @ 700hp and the dyno looked like a NA engine

- strip weight from the vehicle. This is probably the most reliable, fastest, cheapest way to get your car to run faster. Roll cage, zero interior, plastic plexiglass. You should have the Aristo down to 1200 kilos if you do it right. That in itself will make your car go faster and stay reliable.

If you want more power without lag, then you have 3 options

- anti-lag kit, anti-lag turbos (about 4-5K per turbo)...short life expectancy

- fit 3.4 litre bottom end and cams + HKS turbo kit. This should give you a linear power graph, some guy did it in the USA @ 700hp and the dyno looked like a NA engine

- strip weight from the vehicle. This is probably the most reliable, fastest, cheapest way to get your car to run faster. Roll cage, zero interior, plastic plexiglass. You should have the Aristo down to 1200 kilos if you do it right. That in itself will make your car go faster and stay reliable.

i agree on stripping weight but not sure thats the way i want to go !

TBH i think I/anyone looking to go for non stock turbo's has to weigh up all the options...... and take the negatives with the pluses

One possible solution could be to go for a pair of hybrids and look to improve the OEM manifolds flow characteristics

• 3 months later...

I dunno. Would you see a benefit from a veilside style bigger inlet manifold? For definite you would see better performance with a top end water injection kit. Hows about a spray ring also in front of the intercooler? Strengthening up the stock twins (hybrids if you like) may help squeeze a bit more out. After market cams will also add a bit of power.

Weight wise dump the pair of settee's in the front and you will lose a lot of weight :)

Oh and PS mine is actualy a T67 dbb turbo and not a T61. Mine is also very badly mapped apparently and "only" puts down 450 horses.

I dunno. Would you see a benefit from a veilside style bigger inlet manifold? For definite you would see better performance with a top end water injection kit. Hows about a spray ring also in front of the intercooler? Strengthening up the stock twins (hybrids if you like) may help squeeze a bit more out. After market cams will also add a bit of power.

Weight wise dump the pair of settee's in the front and you will lose a lot of weight :)

Oh and PS mine is actualy a T67 dbb turbo and not a T61. Mine is also very badly mapped apparently and "only" puts down 450 horses.

i heard the inlet manifold lost you torque ?

• 2 weeks later...

If I was single turbo'ing my own Aristo I'd go with a 61 or 63mm turbo, or GT4088.

Keep the stock intake manifold unless your planning on running more than 600hp, it doesn't become restrictive before that and you'll lose the great FBW throttle.

The front seats in the Aristo are around 75kg a pair, most aftermarket seats are around 20kg a pair!

Regards,

Gaz.