Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Things To Look Out For!

Michael Tang

Hi all, I am thinking of buying a two and a half year old SC430. The dealer is 240 miles away so I need to plan my journey in advance. I have yet to see the car but can anyone give me advice on what to look out for??

Are there any known issues/ faults with the SC?

I have done a little Googling.. and found that reviews have not been great for the SC... claiming the ride to be poor and sloppy, and that with the roof down it can be jiggly. Is that true??

Is the ride actually that bad???

I was considering a CLK Cabriolet, but the reliablity of Lexus over Mercedes (I have a RX300 and CLK coupe at the moment) and equipment levels have swayed me towards Lexus. Not to mention a little exclusivity of the SC.

Thanks in advance

Guest inicol63

Hi Michael,

The items that I think are worth checking out, as these are the item most mentioned on the site are:

Boot struts not holding the boot lid up £150.

Out of date Sat Nav disc's £130

Corrosion on wheels

Creaking behind back seats

I find the drive of mine which is older (2002) than the one you plan to buy is good, the car is quiet and well equipped.

Colour choice is important for resale reason.

As with service history.

I love my SC430 as does my wife and the CLK are not such a well built car..

Hope you chose the SC "BECAUSE YOU WILL ENJOY"""""""""""""

My 2 year old SC has been faultless.

The only issue I have had is corrosion on the wheels which have now been changed under warranty with no questions asked.

I personally find the handling a little soft and seems to make a bit of a noise over small pot holes. However i am comparing this to my 350Z so it is a little unfair.I would also agree that the handling can feel a little wooly with the roof down, but no worse than other cabriolets.

Its interesting that the US reviews are far better than the UK ones.

This car is not a balls out sports car, I would best describe it as quiet refined power and exclusivity but surprisingly quick without any need to thrash it. IMO it is far better than a CLK especially the standard spec and reliability with the bonus of a hard roof.

The facelift came out in late 05 with the 6 speed gearbox and slightly different front bumper and wheels. It may be worth going for one of these if you can push to it.

I caught 4 people looking at it with the hood down in a pub car park they were very complimentary in deed. They had an E class merc...

SC all the way :D

Paul

I see most of the used SC430's seem to be silver. Is that the colour to go for?? I am looking at a Gold (Kashmir Pearl) with Black leather. Aug 04 for £27000 from a Lexus dealership.

I actually prefer the cream leather but dont like the pale yellow wood that goes with it.!!

My finances would not be able to stretch to a new SC although I do like the new bumpers and fog lights.

Might buy a nice set of aftermarket alloys though!

Thanks guys for your input..... what the heck...I am just going buy it!!!

Looking forward to joining the SC club!!!

I've seen about 6 on the road in the last year :D

Silver seems to be the most common followed by Blue then Black. Gold i suspect is very rare.

I think an 04 is a good buy from a depreciation point of view as i think it only goes down by about 3K per year.

Cream leather looks great but is difficult to clean personally the light wood reminds me of a Bentley...

Must get out in the Sun with the roof down :D

Paul

Guest inicol63

Hi Micheal the Gold (Kashmir Pearl) with Black leather is a nice finish.

That was the combination my wife wanted.

I like most colours apart from the red but that just my choice.

If you dont like the leather colour, then do what some of your fellow club owners do, change it.

I added cream with double blue stitching and Lexus logos on the front of headrest we love the look.

Look forward to seeing your picture when you get your car.

Your love the looks your car get from the public.

The wheels could do with after markets alloys.

Give me first chance on your current wheels should you change them.....

Hi

I have a late 2002, SCARLATTI RED, with the orangy style leather, forget the actual name.

When it was new this leather was an extra. and it looks the "dogs"

The SC is a head turner for sure, and be honest have you seen a better looking car ??, maybe he AM but thats about it.

Problems My main issues have been the road holding and the braking when the roof is down, Battery.

The road holding was down to poor geometry, once it was fixed, no problems

• 2 weeks later...

Once again , thanks for the input.

Bought the SC430 in Lexus Derby! Wahey. Delivery on Monday 21st May...lets hope the weather is good!!!!

As I have not really driven the car, I am not sure of the ride etc. I was thinking of 19" wheels..what do you guys think??? Would it damge the ride too much??

Is it worth lowering the car with aftermarket springs to improve road holding and again would that damage the ride alot??? Has anyone carried out these mods yet???

I used to have a celica (current shape). I upgraded the 16" alloys to 18" and lowered the car. The ride was still OK but the handling was much improved. Every car responds differently to mods..... so I would like some feedback please.

PMarsh22 mentioned something about the "battery", could you clarify that please?

....wahey..... so excited!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Once again , thanks for the input.

Bought the SC430 in Lexus Derby! Wahey. Delivery on Monday 21st May...lets hope the weather is good!!!!

As I have not really driven the car, I am not sure of the ride etc. I was thinking of 19" wheels..what do you guys think??? Would it damge the ride too much??

Is it worth lowering the car with aftermarket springs to improve road holding and again would that damage the ride alot??? Has anyone carried out these mods yet???

I used to have a celica (current shape). I upgraded the 16" alloys to 18" and lowered the car. The ride was still OK but the handling was much improved. Every car responds differently to mods..... so I would like some feedback please.

PMarsh22 mentioned something about the "battery", could you clarify that please?

....wahey..... so excited!!!

Hi.. in response to your query I just bought a 1 year old SC430 last week. Cannot tell you how pleased I am with it...is silver with cream leather... the only problem I found was that i did not have parking assist..has every conceivable extra otherwise. Had parking assist front and back as an extra added from the Croydon branch and am delighted with it all !!

You have good reason to be excited!! happy motoring

Paul Myers :)