Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I recently received a Lexus IS220d on personal lease and was disappointed to find that the 6th gear could not be used at speeds below 80mph (approx). The Police in my area have a zero tolerance policy when dealing with speeding motorists and since having a licence is integral to my livelihood, I simply cannot afford to risk travelling at this sort of speed.

I have owned and driven numerous turbo diesel cars (Ford, Jaguar, VW, Audi, Toyota etc.) and have always been able to engage 6th gear at around 60mph with no problems and accelerate away with ease.

This is not the case with the Lexus IS220d

I contacted Lexus customer services to complain and they informed me in writing that,

"We (Lexus) would not expect the 6th gear to be used at speeds below 75mph"

and that,

"The 6th gear was designed for use whilst driving on Autobahns"

I could not believe what I was reading. Having chosen the car from the marketing brochure, I felt sure that I must have foolishly read past this crucial information; however, on closer examination of the brochure I could find no reference to this whatsoever.

I am seeking legal advice and will keep you posted on my progress.

If anyone else has any views on this I would greatly appreciate your comments.

Thank you.

there are still plenty of autobahns in germany with unlimited speed, the rest is usually with limit of 130km/h. Speedometer usually shows a bit more then reality + police tolerates some km/h over the limit which means that there is no problem to travel between 140/150km/h (88-93mph).

In austria did a test last year with 160km/h (100mph) on some autobahns and it did work, so hopefully they will rise the limit (they said that they probably rise the limit to 160km/h but only during the day and in dry conditions). At the moment there is 130km/h limit.

Czech republic and also Slovakia are seriously thinking about rising the speed limit on autobahn to 160km/h. At the moment we and Czech have 130km/h limit. You can drive 145km/h with no problem, but I don't reccomend you to go more, because IS220d unfortunately can not compare with police Audi RS4 :)

Italy has also limit 130km/h but as far as I know, police wouldn't stop you unless you go over 160km/h (which generally means over 170km/h on speedo) - but they sure will stop you if you go in the overtaking lane without need)

I rarely use 6th...and stopped whinging about it because it was a small problem on my car compared to other things :blush:

The manual states this (can't remember the page exactly) but you're right in that the brochure doesn't. I was really miffed originally, but since the 5th Injector changeout and the ECU remap (+000's of miles) the 6th speed is useable. I have to say though that anything below 70mph and acceleration is very poor and you have to be sensible when you engage it (there's little point trying to stick 6th in when you're going up hill on even a slight gradient at 70, for example).

So, stick to 5th, it is really only a 5 speeder for most of the UK's roads most of the time. Fuel economy is not affected too adversely if you stick to 70 in 5th...and can actually be a tad better if you're in heavy flowing traffic or on A roads and dual carriageways, where you hover around 60-70...as the car will labour less. Even though 6th at 65-70 is OK, the car is still labouring. Place the back of your hand on the windscreen and you'll feel it! That's why the mirror dances!

I do think that you could reduce engine life by using 6th when told not to - the gearing effectively makes the engine feel as though it's pulling a truck - can't be good for it!!

Let us know, I think I know what the answer will be... :duh:

PS - back to your point - I do think it needs to be clearly marked on the brochure, as people buy the car as advertised - a speed manual, but in the UK you have to take to a private track or a Farm to use it. Not fit for purpose!

My IS220d will cruise in sixth gear at 60 mph after 20k miles and a set of new injectors. When I bought it I couldn't really go below upper 70s.

Mine is the same but I haven't had the new set of injectors though. When new it struggled below 80 in 6th and now is much more usable, the vibration has gone and the fuel consumption is vastly improved - couldn't get above 36mpg when new and now rarely dips below 40 as a tank average with well over half of my driving being short trips.

I am currently sat in Lexus Coventry however whilst the car has its 20k service - be interesting to see if this changes anything :unsure:

guys but, aren't you happy that it's only 5 speeder? It means you have to work less with the stick than 6 speeders...or, don't you enjoy the shifting, do you? :)

What is it with all you guys that you constantly moan about the speed at which the 6th gear becomes useable.

You have a mass produced vehicle (albeing well screwed together - well mine is) and, by definition it cannot be all things to all men.

When I get the opportunity, I'll be delighted with the 6th gear ratio when I'm on the autobahn.

I'm with Matus on this one.

Get over it and move on!

Next...

one thing puzzles me - didnt people try 6th on the test drive???

Yes, the car had 5 people in it, had 70 miles on teh clock, and the car laboured like hell, to which the salesmen said "well it's loaded and still very tight..." but not once did he say "...you shouldn't use 6th at 70, the manual says it's for 75+ only..."

The only time I found out the 75+ thingy was 2 days after delivery when I looked at the manual and read the appropriate page, by chance!

For me it's not an issue, but again it's another thing on the tick list which makes you think you've been almost mis-sold something...

Things to remember when someone says "Lexus Cust Sat is the best"

...... is they are lying and prob work for lexus!

I don't work for Lexus but find their customer care to be the best. My dealer can't help enough.

My 220D is now on 8,500 miles and has freed up a lot - 6th gear is fine from 60-ish, provided it's not uphill. Also same experience as above on fuel consumption, was struggling to get 38 at first, has now freed up to between 40 and 42 over a tankful.

...... is they are lying and prob work for lexus!

I don't work for Lexus but find their customer care to be the best. My dealer can't help enough.

My 220D is now on 8,500 miles and has freed up a lot - 6th gear is fine from 60-ish, provided it's not uphill. Also same experience as above on fuel consumption, was struggling to get 38 at first, has now freed up to between 40 and 42 over a tankful.

Similar to you...Jan 2007 8000klms...could not use 6th much without the expected labouring ...BUT now no problems even cruising at 62 mph (100klms per hour) :)...litres/100 klms ...mpg what it says in the brochure, actually now the engine has eased out its better than advertised.

I Know 6th gear is not the best by any means but I dont find it to bad.

Having had the car for 4 weeks now I have just done my first real trip from Derby to London and found that i could cruise no problem at 65 - 70mph if needed but was more pleased to return 48mpg at an average of speed of 80mph.

Yes i have had the mods and re-map done but the car as only covered 760miles so far.

I Know 6th gear is not the best by any means but I dont find it to bad.

Having had the car for 4 weeks now I have just done my first real trip from Derby to London and found that i could cruise no problem at 65 - 70mph if needed but was more pleased to return 48mpg at an average of speed of 80mph.

Yes i have had the mods and re-map done but the car as only covered 760miles so far.

That is amazing. Mine is much better than ever, now at 9200 miles, but I seem unable to beat 44mpg on a largely m'way run, and that's using the gearing carefully. I have some long trips planned this week and will try NOT using 6th at all, and see what happens on a journey that typically averages low 40's. I'll report back.

In the emantime the car is due a fill-up, and I'll give Shell a try today.

BACK to TOPIC :winky: It is so inconsistent. I'm gonna go back to how I drove the car when it was running in - when I could se high 40's - and that was before any ECU re-map, injector change etc. I drive within the speed limit and find that too often the car needs the sixth at 70, but it's too tall...

The 6th gear is comfortable from 59mph onwards, but if I flick over to the Current MPG histogram on any given flat piece of road and engage 5th, then let it settle, it goes from typically just over 45ishmpg on a flat road in 6th to nearer 55mpg at the same speed in 5th.

So I'm convinced that 6th does not help with economy in all conditions (as labouring will ruin the economy), though it will when you're at autobahn rapid rates. It's a long over-drive ratio intended for higher speeds - that's my finding and feeling after over a year trying to understand the logic - and given what it states in the OManual I think that's what Lexus intended for it too.

Like I've said before, (if you're planning on keeping the car for a long while (like me)) it's probably gonna do more harm then anything else using 6th when the maker tells you not to!! Remember - all that labouring will make the engine think it's dragging a low loader trailer behind it!! If ayone disagrees that it is labouring at 60-65 in 6th, put your foot flat on the pedal and see what happens...probably nothing for a few seconds and you hit 70-75 plus...(I tried it yesterday)...nothing then the turbo "zones" in at 1700ish RPM and and you make quicker progress!

So I'm convinced that 6th does not help with economy in all conditions (as labouring will ruin the economy), though it will when you're at autobahn rapid rates. It's a long over-drive ratio intended for higher speeds - that's my finding and feeling after over a year trying to understand the logic - and given what it states in the OManual I think that's what Lexus intended for it too.

exactly

Like I've said before, (if you're planning on keeping the car for a long while (like me)) it's probably gonna do more harm then anything else using 6th when the maker tells you not to!! Remember - all that labouring will make the engine think it's dragging a low loader trailer behind it!! If ayone disagrees that it is labouring at 60-65 in 6th, put your foot flat on the pedal and see what happens...probably nothing for a few seconds and you hit 70-75 plus...(I tried it yesterday)...nothing then the turbo "zones" in at 1700ish RPM and and you make quicker progress!

exactly. underrevving the engine is very dangerous.

Regular 230 mile journey, didn't touch 6th at all, kept to speed limits and 44.8mpg...

All Motorway, A road and Dual Carriageway, little hold ups. So yeah, it's useless at normal speeds (would have gotten same with 6th)

Did you fill up at Shell?

Regular 230 mile journey, didn't touch 6th at all, kept to speed limits and 44.8mpg...

All Motorway, A road and Dual Carriageway, little hold ups. So yeah, it's useless at normal speeds (would have gotten same with 6th)

Oh yes. I should also add that some stretches of the journey were on A roads, with a 50mph limit and the car was very comfortable at 50 in 5th, and that's where the majority of the improvement was.

In the past the car has exceeded this, but for some reason it's all gone downhill since the 5th Injector changout/ECU remap.

Oh yes. I should also add that some stretches of the journey were on A roads, with a 50mph limit and the car was very comfortable at 50 in 5th, and that's where the majority of the improvement was.

In the past the car has exceeded this, but for some reason it's all gone downhill since the 5th Injector changout/ECU remap.

Hi Jamboo

I hope you're not saying what I think your saying...that is that you now think you had a fix for something that might not have been broken in the first place?? :tomato: