Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Urgent Help Please

JOHN F

after recent service, advised by lexus that f/o/s brake caliper was tight.

today decided to sort problem, but i have snapped lower caliper bolt...forgot that that to loosen bolt from inner side you had to loosen nut in clockwise direction as you look at it :blush:

the problem i have got now is that the screw thread is still in housing....i need to know if there is any way local garage can remove thread & replace bolt or am i looking at a complete new caliper.

managed to free piston though :lol:

appreciate any advice guys

yes it is possible, you need to get an "easy out" set, you can do it yourself if u feel confident enough and u will need a drill.

i reccomend using the "snap on " brand/style of easy outs as they are the best i have come across. LIKE THIS

but if you are using THIS TYPE

be carefull as they are easy to snap then you are in trouble!!!!

but yes a local garage should easily be able to remove the bolt.

just to confirm its the bolt that hold the caliper to the frame 14mm head i remember or the big 17mm bolts that hold the carrier to the hub??

yes it is possible, you need to get an "easy out" set, you can do it yourself if u feel confident enough and u will need a drill.

i reccomend using the "snap on " brand/style of easy outs as they are the best i have come across. LIKE THIS

just to confirm its the bolt that hold the caliper to the frame 14mm head i remember or the big 17mm bolts that hold the carrier to the hub??

thanks fluff...looks a bit complicated & i dont want to mess up any chance i have getting it extracted, will let garage try...will have to wait till next wk as they are busy & im on nights....looks like i will have to borrow wifes car.

yes it was 14mm bolt that connects caliper to frame.

thanks again m8

not complicated... drill a hole of the required size, insert the ez out and undo with a anti clockwise direction- give the bolt a good oaking in penetrating oil the day/night before.

or as mark says pop along to tdi as they will the equip req'd

Thanks guys ...rang tdi but busy till early next wk,

Managed to get it into local garage at last min & they have sorted it . pick it up in the morning as they have orderd new caliper bolt.

didnt fancy trying to extract it myself as i have never done it before & didnt want to mess it up & end up forking out for new caliper.

thanks again for your advice... much appreciated

john