Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Goodbye Boxster S, Hello..........

Lexus IS250 SE-L multimedia auto :D :D :D :D

Hello there :)

I've just posted this in the newb forum, but thought i'd jump in here as well. please feel free to delete mods :)

Great site and one I've visited some time ago when there was a joint Lexus/Honda-R meeting at Gaydon.

So tomorrow it's time to wave goodbye to my baby Boxster... I actually thought i'd be quite sad, but to be honest the Box can be a real pain in the ar5e at times! that and running it through the dealers costs a bomb! so it's not all bad....

And the IS is sooooooooo smooth and it's not a Beemer :lol: :winky: I love all the details/small panel gaps/build/spec/insurance and feel. The dealer seems so genuine and together. the last 4 motors that we've owned have been pretty poor experiances. this seems completely different with the Lexus dealer. time will tell, but for now i'm impressed. The VW was awful! for a 26K motor we expected better.... after 12 months, and to much time complaining about rattles etc the Golf got moved on for my new work rollerskate!! a nice blue Grande Punto diesel. i thought it would be pretty pap, but actually it's a proper honest hoot at normal speeds.

The boxster was next on the list - great cars for that 10% of the time when the road is empty and you're charging, BUT! the misses hates it, heavy clutch/poor mpg/heavy brakes and ratlles upon rattles! then you've got the hidden servicing costs and brakes/clutches that don't last forever :blink: that and it's old :winky:

So just out of interest and after just driving a 325 Coupe priced at 30K with no toys and being offered a pathetic PX from the Porsche garage on a tiptronic Boxster, we drove the IS. the misses loved it straight away. comfort and elegance - the smoothness and trick toys. all of this ticked the boxes. i needed another drive on my own on quiet roads in sport before it got me going.... i really enjoyed my second drive and managed to give it some beans, for a big car i thought it was pretty controlled and being a RWD always helps. it needs 18's though, so we ordered these when we put the deposit down. what do you guys think of the 18 inch Baranusa rims? we've gone for these with Conti tires. i thought the conti's would offer a smoother ride?

I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of Q's?

- is there self locking on the doors when you drive off?

- are the front parking sensors always active?

- how the hell do you bring up MPG? LOL!

- does anyone else find air conditioned seats a bit odd? :winky:

Thanks lads and ladeets! hopefully i'll get some pics of the new family member up tomorrow night :D :D :D

Cheers

Matty

Matty - welcome - you'll be thrilled!

There is no self locking, but if you speak to the dealer they will set up anti-hijack for you, which effectively only unlocks the drivers door.

Vents in the seats are very good actually - it won't blow your pants off, but it's ventilation only...

I can't comment on the front sensors as mine doesn't have it, but if yours is a manual 250 then expect high 20's on a run (possibly low 30's if you're gentle), if it's an auto, expect Mid 30's on a run.

The best way to save fuel is to leave it in the garage!

Please post some pictures, we love pictures!

Thanks fella :)

Pics will be posted as soon as. Hopefully they'll have the 18's on by the time we collect tomorrow, but as they only had a weeks notice on getting the larger rims i imagine they'll still be on order.....

Oh and if anyone is interested in a set of 17 inch rims and tires from the motor, please let me know...

Welcome to LOC Matty and congrats on the new motor, you definitely bought the right model in the IS250 SE-L Auto :winky: We've got to be near neighbours...I live near Minchinhampton

Thanks guys :D :D :D

I'm not really missing the Box. Honest :winky:

Although i've not really got to drive the Lexus as the misses has hidden the keys! I'm kicking around in the rollerskate, I've forgotten how much fun you can have with a small hatch and a big engine!!! Best 10K i've ever spent on a motor....... :lol::lol::lol:

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE!

Ok, so we're a couple of weeks in now and what do I think?

I love it! I never thought i'd get the Lexus, not to sure why but it didn't get under my skin. But now! Well i sooooooo get it! I don't remember a time when i've been so chilled behind the wheel, even 30 mins of crawling on the M25 the other day didn't bother me! This is all very unusual lads, as I am a bit of a rager at the best of times.... The Lexus just cruises along, no one seems to tailgate or drive aggresively around it. I now know why it gets such high customer satisfation, LOL!

15 speakers and a cool ***** might have something to do with it mind :lol:

I really thought i'd miss the Boxster S, but I don't! Strange, but it could be a proper pain in the ***** and rattled like hell!!!

I just wonder if i can get some more mid range from the Lexus? Anyone chipped the 250?

Cheers

And i promise not to tell to many people how good the Lexus is :winky:

How are you finding the power difference from the Boxster to the IS?

Its certainly a 'leap', but glad your enjoying it - I had my Lex longer than any other car (just short of 5 years) and it was the most relaxing car I've ever heard of...

(no mentions of RMS here!) :winky:

How are you finding the power difference from the Boxster to the IS?

Its certainly a 'leap', but glad your enjoying it - I had my Lex longer than any other car (just short of 5 years) and it was the most relaxing car I've ever heard of...

(no mentions of RMS here!) :winky:

Power! Lack of it :lol: The thing is - that in the Lexus i just cruise and relax with the A/C seats lol! It's odd, and i must be getting on :winky: But i really just waft around..........

The Box S had lovely power, but it could be a pain in the ***** and i generally drove it quite aggresively...

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to LOC Matty and congrats on the new motor, you definitely bought the right model in the IS250 SE-L Auto :winky: We've got to be near neighbours...I live near Minchinhampton

hi m8..did u get ur lip spoiler n front spoiler n mudflaps after u bought car? n u got pics of it with the tints? cant seem to find any in ur gallery