Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tanabe Medallion Touring

Tango

3 months to arrive from Japan and all of 15 mins to fit, The cars got a deep growl now around 2-3 thousand RPM that you can hear in the cab, otherwise quiet inside...and many thanks go to the Doc for fitting it (seemed to get in most of the pics too) :D

dsc01457sq7.jpgdsc01451ry7.jpg

dsc01459qi0.jpgdsc01455su1.jpg

It has excellent build quality, nice buy Tango. As for my ugly mug!..... I was fitting it so obviously i would be in the pictures :lol: ..... Notice the concentration :duh: :lol:

One more... :)

dsc01460tl2.jpg

tanabeoutoftheboxpn6.jpg

That looks awesome. :)

May i ask what kinda money it costs to get one in? Also - has anyone chipped their IS250? I wouldn't mind a bit more low down grunt, although this is something for the future..... :)

That looks awesome. :)

May i ask what kinda money it costs to get one in? Also - has anyone chipped their IS250? I wouldn't mind a bit more low down grunt, although this is something for the future..... :)

That system was £451.06 + £12.77 postage & packing + the dreaded VAT £81.17. In the US it's $690.00 (£354.00) :angry: . Together with the induction pipe and Blitz air filter it seems to breath a lot easier and has improved the pick up right through the rev range, Still under 93 db. Made completely from 304 Stainless steel, so it's a lot lighter than the OEM we took off.

www.tanabe-usa.com unless you're fluent in Japanese :D

Haven't heard of any re-chip for the 250, just for the 220D.

Tango, what an exhaust you've got. Hope you won't wake up your neighbour early in the morning. Anyway, I am thinking of the Tom's exhaust which is less aggressive in outlook. But that long waiting time is terrible.

TK

Tango, what an exhaust you've got. Hope you won't wake up your neighbour early in the morning. Anyway, I am thinking of the Tom's exhaust which is less aggressive in outlook. But that long waiting time is terrible.

TK

Hi TK,

Glad to see you found LOC UK. :)

Although the Tanabe Medallion is a sports exhaust it isn't unduly loud as it's made to conform to the US regulations which I think limit put a max limit of 95 dba on systems. The Tanabe Medallion Touring has been tested at under 93 dba through the rpm range. It's still as quiet inside, except when booted and your hear hear a deep bass tone between 2-3K rpm.

On the plus side it's a lot better made than the OEM, and a hell of a lot lighter.

It was a long time coming from Japan, but the availability delayed the order for three weeks then I understand the ship was delayed by bad weather and then docked in the UK on Easter Friday so unloading was delayed due to the holiday and customs clearance. I still don't understand why it takes 3 months for similar goods to get to Hong Kong from Japan though.

Hi, Tango.

Your exhaust pipe certainly gives a lot of boosting moral when driving around.

I have today ordered a set of front disc brakes to replace the stock ones. This time there is little waiting time. They will be available for installation in a week's time. They are not the exotic models but those originally installed in the IS350. Fitting should be perfect without any modifications. Price is quite reasonable at GBP600. I change the stock ones because I feel the less effective braking power since changing to larger rims.

TK

I think that's a pretty decent price when you consider how much there is to it! Looks bloody lovely...

I don't suppose you could get a sound clip? Or let me know if you're in Witney anytime, i'd love to hear it....

I wonder if i could buy one when i go to Tokyo next January?? Anyone tried that?

I think that's a pretty decent price when you consider how much there is to it! Looks bloody lovely...

I don't suppose you could get a sound clip? Or let me know if you're in Witney anytime, i'd love to hear it....

I wonder if i could buy one when i go to Tokyo next January?? Anyone tried that?

It's a big box :D ...probably near the limit of what's allowed in the baggage hold.

I've hand carried both my front and boot spoilers and apart from a few curious glances from other passengers (and Customs and Excise). Both were in big cardboard boxes that needed reinforcing to survive the rigours of the baggage handlers.

Also hand carried the Eibach spring set back from the US in a box the size of a small suitcase, but it was heavy, so needed wrapping with duct tape...no worries about possible damage though :D .

TK....Is there that much difference between the 350 and 250 brake discs and cylinders? Changing the rim diameter shouldn't make a difference to the braking efficiency because the rolling radius remains the same...just less sidewall on the tyre. :huh:

Not a chance mate! I went to New Orleans a few years back for a 'Virus Bulletin' conference, and when i told the passport desk why i was in the States he called for support!!! they are mental! it took me 20 minutes to calm them down and convince them that they didn't need any rubber gloves!!!

Love that exhaust - just wondering how i can convince the misses that she needs one!

TK....Is there that much difference between the 350 and 250 brake discs and cylinders? Changing the rim diameter shouldn't make a difference to the braking efficiency because the rolling radius remains the same...just less sidewall on the tyre. :huh:

Tango, may be I've accustomed to my previous wheels which were 16" with 205 thread. Now with 18" 225 front and 235 rear, and with the full tank of gas, braking seen a bit loose. The rolling radius of the 16"/55/205 is actually smaller than the 18"/40/225 and may be that caused the difference. The brake rotor of the IS350 is 330mm diameter while ours is 290mm. I think they should give better braking power at high speed under load. Besides, the price seems quite reasonable. I am going to have them installed next week so will let you know more by then.

TK

I think they should give better braking power at high speed under load. Besides, the price seems quite reasonable. I am going to have them installed next week so will let you know more by then.

Hey TK, I know you're on the forum at the moment. Nearly missed your post.

As you know I'm running 19" diameter rims and the original brakes stop it really well, so I'll be interested to hear what you think of the larger calipers. Have you changed the rotors (discs) as well? I've driven the 350 a few times in the States and it didn't feel any different than mine. The 350 obviously goes a bit quicker so needs the extra stopping power from the higher speeds, but I don't think it's any heavier. My 250 slows down pretty quick from 120+ mph (private tarmac of course)...

...not sure whether this needs to be moved to the brakes and suspension section, although it's still a modification?

that looks great tango,are you taking your 250 to japfest ? :)

That's the plan..although it looks a bit strange at the moment as the sides are tinted but not the rear. Waiting for the back screen to come out for the roof panel to be resprayed in a couple of weeks so I can take it to TintR and finish the job. Much easier to do it off the car (and cheaper) and may as well take advantage of the situation due to the unfortunate dint in the roof :angry:

Hey TK, I know you're on the forum at the moment. Nearly missed your post.

As you know I'm running 19" diameter rims and the original brakes stop it really well, so I'll be interested to hear what you think of the larger calipers. Have you changed the rotors (discs) as well? I've driven the 350 a few times in the States and it didn't feel any different than mine. The 350 obviously goes a bit quicker so needs the extra stopping power from the higher speeds, but I don't think it's any heavier. My 250 slows down pretty quick from 120+ mph (private tarmac of course)...

...not sure whether this needs to be moved to the brakes and suspension section, although it's still a modification?

Tango, I am changing the whole front brake including the rotor. It is just a simple job of remove and install. No modification is required.

Yes, I'll post pictures in the brakes and suspension section when the job is done.

Sorry to hear that you have to get the whole roof top re-painted because of a small dent.

47700-grs18.jpg

Tango, I am changing the whole front brake including the rotor. It is just a simple job of remove and install. No modification is required.

Yes, I'll post pictures in the brakes and suspension section when the job is done.

Sorry to hear that you have to get the whole roof top re-painted because of a small dent.

47700-grs18.jpg

TK, What brake pads are they fitting? There' a Lexus TSIB issued in the US for different pads to be fitted on the 350 and the 250 because of excessive brake dust...here: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...ost&id=6726

The replacement pads produce a lot less dust but are marginally less effective in braking, something you will have more than compensated for with the bigger rotors and calipers, so am really interested in your new set-up.

that looks great tango,are you taking your 250 to japfest ? :)

That's the plan..although it looks a bit strange at the moment as the sides are tinted but not the rear. Waiting for the back screen to come out for the roof panel to be resprayed in a couple of weeks so I can take it to TintR and finish the job. Much easier to do it off the car (and cheaper) and may as well take advantage of the situation due to the unfortunate dint in the roof :angry:

hey tango

you dont know me mate i'm a newbie on here, i picked up my IS 250 SE MM last friday (luv it) i was just reading your post about your tints. I live in nottingham and have just come back from Richards place (tintr) i asked him if it was the first IS 250 he has done and he said "no funnily enough i did one this week (first one) the bloke came all the way from gloucester and he's coming back because he's got a tiny little dint on the roof and he's gotta have the front and back screen out to get it repaired", he said i hope the rear screen is out when you come as its a b***ard to do. sorry mate thought it was dead spooky listening to richards story then joining this forum and reading it. good bloke richard very professional he's done 3 cars for me now always a good job. Very nice car you have there mate as well thats what i'm working towards, wheels are next know any decent places let me know. cheers mate.